Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

Remington 7400 .270

Old 05-19-2005, 08:11 AM
Typical Buck

Default Remington 7400 .270

I have heard a bunch about this rifle and I just got rid of mine. Most of what I heard about these rifles were from people who have owned them and never shot them. Almost always negative. Here is the dope from an actual user for those who are considering purchasing one.

It is a good rifle, and will jam a few times righ out of the box due to the chambering area being dry and unconditioned. If you want to make your life easier, grease up (a thin coat) some shells before with reloading lube before heading out your first time shooting it. It will take a box or 2 of these lubed shells, but it will work just fine.

Clean it after every time of use, especially in the chamber area.
My rifle was very accureate with premium ammunition, but finicky with the 200 yard accureacy if you didnt use the right ammo.

Re-loads are a problem if you dont have a full re-sizing collet, get used to that cheap remington express stuff at wal-mart for $11.87 a box. Good to sight in at 100 yards.

The 200 yard accureacy can be good (I never got better than 4 inch group) but again, use good ammo.

Dont shoot to many rounds too fast, the barrel heats up fast and knocks off the accrueacy right now.

The trigger is horrible. Look at a spring replacement, I did it on mine and got great results.

In general, an excellent rifle for the person hunting in the 0-200 yard range that wants a quick follow up shot, My father in law has this exact rifle in .308 and it is way more accureate. It differes from gun to gun, he loves his. I hunt in Colorado mostly, but as well in oklahoma and possibly in wisconsin. This is a good brush gun, but I would reccomend that folks use it in .308. I think it is a better match.

Hope this helps! EJ
Old 05-19-2005, 08:15 AM
bigcountry

Default RE: Remington 7400 .270

I have had one for almost 15 years. Only jammed once and that was in 1990 cause I didn't know how to clean and it was full of gunk.

Anyway, I find 1.5MOA with 54gr of IMR4350 and 130gr gamekings. I still use it when I know I am in a place where multiple shots may be needed to keep a deer from running on another problem farm.

I did find the secret problem of the POI changing due to the front forearm screw. You have to make sure the forearm isn't shoving itself into the action. If it is, you are putting variable pressure on the barrel and can change point of impact up to 6".

Old 05-19-2005, 09:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

I had the Remington 7400 in a 308 and sold it last year. I would have to agree that as soon as the barrel got hot that the accuracy got worst and it also jammed once in a while. I didn’t want to spend to much time trying to better the accuracy and ended up selling it.
Old 05-19-2005, 09:08 AM
Typical Buck

Ya know, I only checked it once, and it seemed pretty tight, but that isnt saying that it was completly tight. Also, I want to mention that I am a descent shot at 100 yards, but I wouldnt bet the house at 200. I can attest however that it worked best (accureacy) at the 200 yard mark with federal 130 grain nosler rounds. It would go all over the place with the remington rounds at 200. It could keep six inches If i laid down in the back of the truck and rested the gun on a sand bag, My father in law gets unbelievable accureacy out of his but his is a .308 which is a darn accureate round to start with. I wouldnt mind an automatic again, but only as a third gun. That was the only rifle I had for elk, deer, antelope and target, so I was a little frustrated with it for obvious reasons. I would like a 270 WSM as my next rifle, but in a bolt. I think it is dependent on the individual. The rifle was just fine, I just didnt like it. I think I am turning into one of thos bolt action freaks. Also remember, I am new to this sport, so I may not have the most educated opinions, I have only shot one deer, that was last year, my first year.
The 270 is a completly capable round, I would have no issues using one for elk up to 200 yards.
Winchester actually makes a CXP3 rated bullet for the 270 WSM, it is a 140 grain. That, I could get into id the ammo wasnt so expensive and rare.
EJ
Old 05-19-2005, 09:13 AM
Typical Buck

I got rid of mine for a 30-06 in the remington 700 ADL, I just got it last weekend new at gander mountain for 319.00. A smokin deal! They gave me $280 trade in for my 7400. I shot it monday morning and it is great! The trigger is much better, but boy does it have more kick.
I needed a dead reliable do all rifle. I think this is it!
Until I get my wife a horse, then I will get a 7mm mag or a 270 WSM.
EJ
Old 05-19-2005, 09:34 PM

I had heard the 7400 would jam in cold weather. Beeing a canadian, I bought the 7600, the pump, I've been loving it ever since and would never even think of selling it. and it's probably very close to the 7400 for follow up shots.
Old 05-19-2005, 09:42 PM
Typical Buck

That does sound cool! Is it pretty accureate to 200 yards? What kind of game have you taken with it? I thought of a 7600 after I got my 7400 but you know the hindsight thing. If ya get a minute, fill me in on it Furync. EJ
Old 05-20-2005, 09:32 AM
etw

.243 is the caliber my 7400 is chambered in and I love it. Accuracy is better than I can shoot out to my seeable distances, 150 yds. It has never jammed. I bought it used several years ago. Its a fun gun. I like to use a different gun every once in a while when I go hunting (whitetails in east Texas). Keeps things interesting.
Old 05-20-2005, 10:37 AM
Typical Buck

How does that 243 do for deer? I have never shot one, but I know a guy that knocks em dead everytime near enid oklahoma with a 100 grain bullet. His shots are generally under 200 as well. EJ
Old 05-20-2005, 09:03 PM

My little 7400 is a carbine chambered in 280 Remington. I have used 7400's or variants therof for years and every time I have had a problem, it was something I caused. I.E. loading the magazine too carelessly and getting the shells uneven, not cleaning, etc. Mine have been reliable rifles for swamp hunting. I have no complaints about the 7400.

Quick Reply: Remington 7400 .270

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.