Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Technical/Forum Help > Enhancement Request / Wish List
An explaination regarding the off season forum >

An explaination regarding the off season forum

Community
Enhancement Request / Wish List Please post any enhancement requests here. We will review them all, but please understand that we may or may not be able to include them in future releases.

An explaination regarding the off season forum

Old 05-28-2010, 04:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

That's good that it's coming back. The members here obviously like that forum.

I must concur with what Christine posted though. Site activity has actually been up since the OS was removed. There's at least 2-3 more pages of new posts every time I log in.
Old 05-28-2010, 05:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for deciding to bring it back. I hope this site will get back to what it was like back in the "old days". I remember it would take an hour or so to catch up on all the new posts and threads on the days that I had to work. It was definately a hopping site!
Old 05-29-2010, 09:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

My wife and I both post here, she much more than I. And the Off Season forum got most of our attention, especially hers. We do read the other forums though, but I got my current bow at half price because it was returned by someone who bought it and didn't like it. And we bought my wife's bow at a yard sale. So we don't have much to say when it comes to who has a terrific new bow.

I have never been banned or warned. My wife has never been banned, although she was once criticized by a mod for a post. We're not sure if it was meant to be a warning or not.

But here's my suggestion as one way to reduce friction in the future if the Off Season forum is restored. (I suppose this could apply to any forum for that matter.) A moderator suggested in a post that we read Rule #5, so I did. And it occurred to me that there is a way to reduce some of the conflict and friction there. Here is the extract from Rule #5 which I believe is the answer. HuntingNet.Com moderators, administrators and staff will NOT respond to any inquiries or challenges of these rules or decisions on the public forum.

I do believe adherence to this rule, while it won't eliminate people stirring the pot, will deter moderators from "fanning the flames."
Old 05-29-2010, 12:36 PM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

Strict adherance to this rule will result in a lot more people getting in trouble. Here's rule #5 in it's entirety.

5. No discussion or challenge to our editing policy are allowed within the forums. If you disagree, or want clarification as to why a particular topic, post or individual was removed, you must email [email protected]. HuntingNet.Com moderators, administrators and staff will NOT respond to any inquiries or challenges of these rules or decisions on the public forum. However, we will respond to email or private message inquiries.
The way I understand this rule is it's simply saying that just because you pose a question on the open board in no way means we (mods, admin) are required to answer it. Respectfully asked in private, per forum rules, will get an answer.

Case in point: if we strictly enforced this rule, then your post would have gotten you a warning, and/or it would have been removed rather than replied to, since it is publicly challenging the editing policy, even if it is only a suggestion. Then you wouldn't have gotten an answer at all, you would have just gotten aggravated and maybe a warning.

There's two big problems as I see it.

#1. People only want the rules enforced when it affects them, and then only the part that affects them personally. Case in point, the above post. Otherwise, they want the freedom to bend/break/totally ignore the rules as they choose.

#2. This actually is a continuation of #1. It's a no-win situation for the mods. If we are lax in enforcing the rules, we get lots of complaints. If we strictly enforce the rules across the board, we get lots of complaints.

Case in point, again, is the above post. The request is to strictly enforce/adhere to the last part of rule #5....the irony is the request is made in violation of the first part of rule #5.

So, what's the solution here? Strictly enforce rule #5, which results in the post making that request being removed, the poster being warned, and no real answer or discussion ensuing...or ignore said request, and ignore the rule violation that goes with the request, and discuss how ironic a request it is? Can't have our cake and eat it too.

If everyone would adhere to the forum rules, there would be a lot less friction. If just the ones that live in glass houses wouldn't throw rocks, I doubt we'd have a problem at all.

Unfortunately, I don't see either of those happening, at least not voluntarily. It's a happy thought though.
Old 05-31-2010, 06:30 PM
Fork Horn

I believe the damage has been done. You've chased away the heart and soul of this board. There may be some new activity but I suspect a lot of that is people signing in as someone other than we know them. In fact.... I know that for a fact. Too little too late I'm afraid. THe people who made this board have left to include half the past moderators. THey all have some place else to go now.
Old 05-31-2010, 08:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Shortdraw
I believe the damage has been done. You've chased away the heart and soul of this board. There may be some new activity but I suspect a lot of that is people signing in as someone other than we know them. In fact.... I know that for a fact. Too little too late I'm afraid. THe people who made this board have left to include half the past moderators. THey all have some place else to go now.
Well they're more than welcome to come back if they can act like adults and behave themselves. There's a myriad of topics to discuss and folks can be plenty colorful without shattering the rules and insulting people like some of them were. But a portion of the folks you're talking about got themselves booted from here and have absolutely no one to blame but themselves. A lot of the folks who were posting before the OS was removed will come back. I can't even count how many of those guys have posted "farewell" threads that were short lived. As long as folks aren't doing the crap that got the OS removed, I don't have a problem with anyone coming back... if they want to.

You can refer to the Politics forum as an example of heated, colorful debate that's within forum rules. Some topics/folks get a little out of hand sometimes and they're handled accordingly. There's no reason, what so ever, that the Off Season can't follow the same path. It's all up to the people posting in it.
Old 06-03-2010, 05:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

??????????? I don't understand. There is an exact spot in the timeline when all of this began. It seems like the admin would just look at the facts and get rid of the obvious problem or problems. I hope this place gets back to how it used to be but I'm not going to hold my breath.
Old 06-03-2010, 06:20 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Colorado Luckydog
??????????? I don't understand. There is an exact spot in the timeline when all of this began. It seems like the admin would just look at the facts and get rid of the obvious problem or problems. I hope this place gets back to how it used to be but I'm not going to hold my breath.
You're not a COlorado Luckydog.... you're a SMART DOG. Don't hold your breath. A life is too valuable. LOL
Old 06-04-2010, 02:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Colorado Luckydog
The Admin did get rid of a few of the "Problems".
Old 06-04-2010, 04:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by SWThomas
The Admin did get rid of a few of the "Problems".
The Members that admin got rid of were not the "Problem" Their bad attitudes were results of the "Problem". The "Problem" still exsist and is here a everyday with a I know everything smarty pants attitude.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.