Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Groups > Disabled Hunters
 Can the blind hunt in your state? >

Can the blind hunt in your state?

Community
Disabled Hunters How-to's, adapted equipment, methods, disabled hunting laws, managed hunts, and more!

Can the blind hunt in your state?

Old 02-25-2005, 12:55 PM

Default Can the blind hunt in your state?

I'm curious which states allow this.
Old 02-26-2005, 02:51 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Can the blind hunt in your state?

Wow, that would be a good question. In Washington State there is no restrictions as to the type of disability. So, whats not listed is allowed. Yet, I would question the morality of it. Please listen.

To shoot a deer, you would want a one shot kill and not have a wounded deer get away. Could a blind person be able to do that even with someone directing his gun? Perhaps if they were close enough but outside of 50 yards, that would be very hard. That would be my only concern. If were blind, personally, I would give up hunting and just fish.

If there was devices, say attachments to the gun, where a second person could see where the blind person was aiming then direct the gun then I wouldn't have a problem. Or a second person acts as a second shooter if the blind person gut shoots a deer but that would be tricky to do.
Old 02-28-2005, 10:35 AM

Yes, it depends on how bad the blindness is if they are totally blind they must have a seeing helper. One that is legally blind but can still see some are advised to have a helper. Last season I met a legally blind hunter he said he could see well enough to shoot a deer under 50 yards as long as the deer was in full view if partially hidden in the brush he wouldnt take the shot and asked If I would fill his tag for him since season was almost over. I got lucky that day at 10 min before time was up for shooting a big doe stepped out of the woods and I took it for him, It made me feel so proud to be able to help some one else for a change. I now have a new friend and hunting partner. Jimmy
Old 03-06-2005, 07:04 PM

Hey Rick_reno i hope you and the others in this group will understand what i am about to tell you. in my State of Oklahoma you can hunt deer, turkey, and just about anything you want aslong as you have a sighter or spotter with you. i am totaly blind and in 2004 i went hunting for the first time in 8 years and got me a buck. i shot the buck with a 243 Thompson pistol at 50 yrds. and made a bulls eye i put a Bushnell Holosight scope on my Thompson pistol and done very well with it. i ask a lot of people before i went hunting and you know the same things that sighted people say like oh my god don't even think about hunting are you carzy and i would say to them you have no right to tell me that i can't do something when you don't evern know me . i don't know why people are the way they act to blind people but we can do very well as long as we have a good person that takes the time with you at shooting with the weapon of you want to shoot with. they are hard to find but they are there . i look at clubs like Lions club, buckmasters club, sportsmand with disabilities group and so on. don't ever let people tell you that you should not or your not do things in life. thats whats wrong when you start asking the whole world you open your self to notheing but nactive people. God Bless