Disabled Hunters How-to's, adapted equipment, methods, disabled hunting laws, managed hunts, and more!

[Deleted]

Old 11-21-2004, 09:21 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 11-21-2004, 05:25 PM

Default RE: Disabilities

ED my good friend i was in this very same boat not to many years ago, it is hard to admit to yourself that you arent as physicaly fit as you would like to be or you where at 1 time,, BUT and this is a very big but if you dont or cant admit that you arent as healthy and fit as you once used to be then my friend you could end up in far worse shape than you are already in..

and this i can say with a bit of knowledge 4 yrs ago the doctors told me i needed to slow down if i wanted to lead a somewhat normal life, did I listen hell no i thought i knew better and yup you guessed it i reinjured my back but the thing is i walked around for almost a year with my back rebroken in 2 places i was in constant pain and my health just progresively got worse. i then had to have a second surgery but it was to late i had done enough damage to my body that it
couldnt heal. and because of my arrogant pigheaded stuborn pride i basically have put myself in a position to where i am in constant pain the whole right side of my body for the better part of 3 yrs now has been numb and i sleep about 20 hours a week tops i am on pills for pain but they are of little help and now lisa and i are battling with my high b/p it usually runs about 190/ 120 or there abouts the docs say i have blocked arteries and i have been thru some rather invasive testing, the docs say im a great canidate for a massive stroke or heart attack,, i am going thru life right now feeling useless and i keep wondering how long i will be around. hopefully i will make it thru all this long enough to see my 5 children grow ,

ED all the advise in the world is only as good as the person who recieves it now granted i refuse to be put out to pasture but i have learned to slow down and enjoy the rest of my life
and my advise would be the same to you,, please take life with a grain of salt and listen to your doctors bud , it will take time to adjust to a new way of life but in the long run you will come to realize that it was all for the better well i think i rambled long enough but i will stop here with this last few lines,,,,

lisa and my prayers are with you and your better half , take care of yourself and we will see you at sunsets next year ,,,,,, larry
Old 11-22-2004, 01:24 AM
Boone & Crockett

Mr, OWENS,I felt the same way you did.I had no choice finally to except it or make myself even more miserable. After the adjustment I'm having a ball. Sure it hurts to move and I'm phyiscally limited what I can do. But wow hunt every day of the season.No stupid boss tp put up with.Hey I dont feel like getting up,So I dont. You get closer to the front doors of stores.If I use my wheelchair I'm at boob level. You have all day to do something or nothing.It has been 6 years now,NO I dont have much money,I found out I did not need all that fancy crap anyway. Everyday I wake up is a blessing. OH my wife babies me. And in your area you will find out them special handicapped hunts they put on are awesome.Usually a place no one else gets to hunt.Full of huge deer. There always is a positive on the other side of the negative,Like a battery. Stop feeling sorry for yourself and get off your butt and do what you have to do. And start living with the time you have left.
Old 11-22-2004, 08:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have been stuck in a wheelchair for the past 5 years,it's hard to get used to when you are a active person! Swallow your PRIDE and do what you have to do to enjoy life. Disability is a state of MIND,don't let it win...
Old 11-22-2004, 09:49 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 11-22-2004, 11:52 AM
Boone & Crockett

ED ,I was being respectful to my elders,LOL. Things will work out.
Old 11-22-2004, 12:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ed...I don't let my wheelchair stop me,it might slow me down a little! I hunt turkeys in the spring and fall,bowhunt & gun hunt deer and to keep me from going "crazy" during the off season I hunt woodchucks all summer long...
Old 11-23-2004, 08:16 AM
Super Moderator

by excepting these permits designed for the disabled.......just doesn't set well with me. Your take????
Edward,

I know where you are comeing from.

My mind just don't want to get with my body.

I have things wrong with me but I just don't want to admit it.

I have some Brain damage from being on a ventalater for over a month.

I have High Blood pressure.

I have Diabetes that just will not regulate, no matter what meds the dr. puts me on.

I have weak heart mussles from conjestive heart failer from 1999.

My pancreas whats still left of it is the size of a guarter.

So I have to take pills so my food will dijest.

My kidneys are leaking protein like pouring it out of bucket.

I can't remember a day that I haven't woke up with out Pain.

It gets so old but theres nothing I can do about it.

I tryied to get my CDL lic renewed and need a DOT phscycle and

One Dr. Said with the Medicines I take and The health Problems I have.

He wouldn't let me drive a car.

That really hit home.

But my mind just don't get it.

I still don't feel like theres any thing wrong even though there is.

Another thing that gets me is People all around me Keep saying to go and get a Job.

Well If I was able to Work I wouldn't have been Put on disability in the first place.

And another thing.

Every place I tryied to get a job They just wouldn't hire me.

I can't make them hire me.

OK thats enaugh Venting.

Its not that I don't want to its just I REALLY CAN'T.

I gues you can't really understand what I mean unless you in my shoes.

OK that is enaugh
Old 11-24-2004, 09:31 PM

Ed five years ago I faced what you are now and I thought I would let the worse than me disabled have all those things designed to make it easier for the disabled and I will go on like there was no change. Boy was I stupid I tried to hunt like I always had and I couldnt keep up with a man in his late 80s, by the time I got to my blind I was totally wasted my heart pounding so hard that I thought It was gonna burst it took me a good two hours before I even had the strength to lift my rifle. May of 2001 I sufferd my 14th heart attack while laying there on the table listening to the doctor whos doing the angioplasty tell me that there is nothing they can do I'll just have to go home and take it easy I then decided that I will accept all I can get as far as making my life easier. Im still stubborn to a point cause sitting in my living room is a new 4 wheel scooter that only has about 15 hours on it and Ive had it over 8 months, most of the time on it was last summer when I let the neighborhood kids play with it. I still wont use it. Take advantage of whats offered as it might make your life a little longer if not at least easier. Jimmy
Old 11-30-2004, 12:30 AM

I had same problem 47years old and disabled no way but wait i have bucked them for years and what do i have to show a boss thats pissed cause i call in with back troubles to often Dr bills out the wazoo cause i tried to keep going at old pace annd no peace of mind cause i am to stubbnorn to admit what my doctor wife family and yes even boss have known for quite some time but aha i admitted it and i get great parking places at football games restraunt hell even the court house. I get a check that equals out to about 7>95 per hour and dont have to go in i get along much better with family and friends cause im managing how active ie pain level im at can hunt fish sleep swim whenever i feel up to it and if i dont feel up to it i can stay in bed and no one gripes you will be suprised at how much better your life will be when you give in dont give up just take the help that is being offered best hunting spots in public hunting fishing docks that only we can use etc
best of luck to you and the money you get from social security if you have worked 20 years probably wont even touch what you have paid in on top of that if you would hav e invested it it would do better than there aerage of 2-5 pts i am not disabled people just enable me to have the best quality of life that i can whith what i have left
jd

Quick Reply: [Deleted]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.