Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Groups > Disabled Hunters
 I will know about disability soon >

I will know about disability soon

Community
Disabled Hunters How-to's, adapted equipment, methods, disabled hunting laws, managed hunts, and more!

I will know about disability soon

Old 12-24-2004, 09:25 AM

Default RE: I will know about disability soon

Good luck Buddy I hope it all goes smoothly for you. Keep us informed. Jimmy
Old 12-27-2004, 02:18 PM
Typical Buck

Dang! I was complaining that it took a year to get my disability and I was approved without question the first time I applied. I'm really banged up though and barely ambulatory. The Dr. expects me to be totally crippled real soon and I should die soon after. None of it bothers me at all though. I just wish I could afford a vehicle so I could do some fishing and shooting while I still can.
Old 12-27-2004, 04:04 PM
Typical Buck

Dang, I'm sorry Weasel.

Where abouts are you located? And what happened if I may ask? Disease or accident?

I'm in Washington State.

Reason I ask is that we have members around different parts of the U.S. but are not around atm because they are finishing out the season. I myself stopped driving (self-imposed) because of last stroke in which docs said was a very good idea, but will reevaluate in about 6 months (how long it takes for disease to flare w/o meds). But still have my car and license (cancelled insurance). But I have a friend that is willing to take me deer hunting next season, YIPEE (he has friends who hunts).
Old 12-27-2004, 07:23 PM
Typical Buck

I live in SW Utah. I led a rough and tumble life (work & play) that was pretty hard on my body plus I was in a roll-over accident that broke vertebra in my neck and back. I have bulging and ruptured discs, stenosis, osteoporosis, scoliosis, degenerative joint disease (all), arthritis (everywhere) and a few more serious problems that actually don't keep me down as much as the skeletal stuff. The scoliosis has progessed to the point that it is the main thing that keeps me down.

Other than that, I feel great! LOL!
Actually, I have a pretty good attitude and I'm upbeat most of the time. I can still drive, but not for long distances. I have hunting, shooting and fishing spots nearby, but no way to get to them. My wife rolled our Explorer early this year and was hurt, but recovered now. We don't have any family near by either so that's why I'm on the computer at all hours of the day and night.
Old 12-27-2004, 09:15 PM
Typical Buck

Yeah, I'm always checking this board also because I'm bored. I assume your docs includes a orthopaedist and a rheumatologist. Are you on fosmax? I hate taking a med with all those requirements, ie. standing for an hour, no eating, etc. What type of arthitis medication are you on? No predisone I hope.

Anyways, put out a call in Febuary or so, and maybe you'll find someone from Utah that needs a fishing partner.
Old 12-27-2004, 11:58 PM
Typical Buck

I don't currently have any doctors because I don't have insurance. I did have an Orthopedist before my insurance ended. Since I don't have insurance to help pay for, or doctors to prescribe, I have to get my medications where and when I can. I had a surgeon tell me that he can keep me out of a wheelchair for a couple of years, but there is no way I can pay for the surgery. I thought that Medi-Care was supposed to help after I've been on S.S. for a year, but I can't get any straight answers from the local S.S. office.
Old 12-28-2004, 12:56 AM
Typical Buck

Social Security Disability Forum:

"SSA counts 24 months from your established date of entitlement. You then would get actual Medicare coverage starting with your 24th month from your entitlement month. This is the same pattern used to establish the first date of Medicare coverage for those getting full cash SSDI benefits (e.g., SSA counts 24 months from the first month of cash benefits before it establishes the beginning of Medicare coverage)." - David F.

David F. works for SSA I believe, anyway he is an expert. If you are going to ask a question on that forum, use a title like, "question for David F., Liam, or Angel1". Liam is also an expert who may be a lawyer, and Angel1 is a disability examiner.

But the statement above says the point when you received your first entitlement, ie. 5 months of your established disability date or first month you received a check. Twenty four months after that Medicare kicks in.

Have you tried for state Medicaid benefits? Or Foodstamps? It all helps. What about your wife's insurance? I'm on Medicaid and state health insurance. State insurance is only $17/mon because I receive no real wages just SSI/welfare and Medicaid is free. Have to pay SSI & foodstamps back when/if I get disability.

Some other options I've heard some people do. Well, its actually sorta secrete. Find a college, it could be a community, vocational, 4 year, etc. and study their health insurance program. Most will only let you in if enrolled fulltime. Some just need certain amount of classes. Being on disability it should let you enroll for free or a small fee. Then ask if auditting a classes fulfills requirements for health insurance program. Or just take on-line classes. Indoneasian Basket Weaving 101. State Resident + Disabled = free or nearly free tuition + health insurance.
Old 12-28-2004, 06:25 PM
Typical Buck

Mite, thanks for the link. There's alot of great information there. My wife doesn't have insurance either. I like the college idea, but I can't sit for extended periods either. I do think I'll check it out though as I would like to take a few classes and if they aren't too long, I could do it. I've been drawing benefits for 2 years, add the one year wait and that makes 3 years I should have been eligible for Medicare. I think I'll have to get my son involved in the process. He's a lawyer.
Old 12-28-2004, 09:31 PM

Weasel Definately get your son involved it seems that social security wont do anything with out a push. You are definately entitled to Medicare. You gotta keep after em or they wont do squat. Then when you get your medicare coverage they will deduct the premiums from your check unless your state pays them for you. Wisconsin does which is now $65.00 a month. I hate the cold here in Wisconsin but I cant find a better state to live than here for disabled people. So many pluses. I moved here from Kansas because Kansas does so little for the disabled that I couldnt afford to pay rent on my Disability check let alone anything else. I take 16 different prescription meds a month and I only have a co pay of $12.00 max. Hearing aids and glasses are free they even pay for the batterys in the hearing aids. I got a $4000.00 4 wheel scooter paid for by the state. I could go on and on but I will stop here. Keep pressureing social security and dont let up.You may alraedy be covered but they havent sent your card I was covered for 6 months and didnt know it. Your Medicare number is your social security number with the letter A on the end. I hope this helps some Good luck Jimmy
Old 12-29-2004, 05:04 AM
Typical Buck

Hey Hunter,
Do you know your state minimum for SSI? $564 I think is national. Your state may have a higher minimum. You may be able to get an add'l $300/mon as long as you meet property requirements, ie. car can't be over 2k, can't have over 2k in bank acct, etc.

Also, do you have a .22LR to shoot currently?

Quick Reply: I will know about disability soon

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.