Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Groups > Disabled Hunters
I need your vocal and moral su >

I need your vocal and moral su

Community
Disabled Hunters How-to's, adapted equipment, methods, disabled hunting laws, managed hunts, and more!

I need your vocal and moral su

Old 04-14-2002, 10:35 PM

Default I need your vocal and moral su

My name is Thomas H. LaQuey. I could use your verbal and moral support in the form of an email, sent to The United States Department of The Interior. Mark it to the attention of Doug Gentile at [email protected] Please ask your all of your organizations members, neighbors and friends to send one as well.

I have been working for the past few years to get the permission of the Colorado Division of Wildlife, to allow me to use a crossbow in the bow season. They have turned me down. I presently have a complaint filed against them with the Department of the Interior as they control the federal monies of the CDOW. I filed the complaint under the Americans with Disabilities act.

My disability began in about 1997 when I had the ball of my left shoulder removed and a prosthesis installed. My shoulder also has nerve and muscle problems not allowing me to hold up a rife or draw a bow. I want to be able to hunt the bow season with a crossbow just like disabled hunters are allowed to do as needed in about 34 states. Colorado has said they will only allow me to hunt those seasons if I use a devise where I have to pull the bowstring with my teeth or use a bow brace where I would have to tie the bowstring to my body. My dentist has said no on the mouth tab and the bow brace would be so cumbersome moving through the black timber over downfalls and under and through brush. A crossbow would allow me freedom of movement equal to that allowed normal bow hunters.

I am not the only disabled hunter in this spot and The Department of the Interior has told me they have had other complaints from other states that do not allow the crossbow because they were petitioned by bow hunting organizations filled with non-disabled hunters who do not want to allow the crossbow. I am only asking for them to allow it to the disabled who require its use because of the nature of their disability. This could be decided in a case-by-case manner. Please send your email to Doug Gentile mentioned above, stating that you believe the disabled deserve to be allowed the dignity to hunt side by side with other hunters in the most equal manner possible to them.

Thanks for your help

PS I really need your help with these emails, so please forward my message to everyone in your mailbox. Doug Gentile said support in this manner would be taken into account when they go to decide my case. Thanks Again
Old 04-15-2002, 05:50 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: I need your vocal and moral su

First let me welcome you to the board thl1, second I just finished sending a letter as you requested and will get the word out. I am presently trying to get a dis-abled hunters Orginization started here in Va. I can tell you right now that you would be allowed to use a crossbow in Va. Good luck my fellow hunter, we will do what we can.

The Tazman
Old 04-15-2002, 07:32 AM

thl1, you've got my support. I sent the email to Mr. Gentile and asked that he petition all states that do not allow crossbow to please review and hopefully change their policy to allow physically challenged men and women to enjoy the outdoors just as anyone else. I agree that this could be allowed on a case-by-case basis and I believe that Texas does allow use of a crossbow for hunters who can't physically draw a bow or hold a rifle. Good luck and welcome to the board. Keep us in mind when you get that deer, elk, etc... We love to see pictures of a successful hunt.
Old 04-15-2002, 08:53 AM
Typical Buck

You've got my support.My email is on the way.
My husband uses a crossbow due to his disabilities.
I really hope you get approved.I know how important
it is to y'all.
Old 04-15-2002, 09:35 AM

Welcome to the forum thomas. Sent the e-mail.Best of luck there.Let us know how its going, and if we can help any more. I dont know if a disabled hunter can use a crossbow here in Ak. but I do know the Ak. Dept. of Fish and Game does a lot to get more hunters out there. lamar.
Old 04-15-2002, 10:31 AM

WELCOME, you have it ,many states have cross bows for disabled hunters . Have you contacted some of these bow hunting groups yet?
Old 04-15-2002, 12:55 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 04-15-2002, 02:02 PM

Welcome to the board. I use a crossbow here in PA, with a disablity permit. It's opened up a new world for me. Love having the time in the woods. I will warn you flat out though. There is ALOT of predjidice against crossbow hunters by some compound hunters and many archery groups. Which is beyond me. I'll write a letter, more then happy to help. Just look past the ignorance of some hunters, and you'll have a whole new world opened up to you!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-15-2002, 04:12 PM
Spike

Email sent, wish you the best of luck.
Old 04-15-2002, 04:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

k....on the way

Quick Reply: I need your vocal and moral su

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.