HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Disabled Hunters (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/disabled-hunters-34/)
-   -   I am disabled and would like to chat (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/disabled-hunters/77656-i-am-disabled-would-like-chat.html)

BJ_Friley 11-01-2004 04:48 PM

I am disabled and would like to chat

I am BJ...a 26 year old single white male volunteer fireman who is also a hunter...I am disabled with a mental condition called Bipolar...The condition consist of a chemical imbalance in my brain where I get real depressed real easily...I shot my 1st deer about 5 years ago, and I got real depressed that I have not been back hunting till this year (2004)...It has been too hot this year to go hunting, but today (November 1, 2004) it rained and is suppose to get cold weather, so hopefully I will be going hunting as soon as I get my hunting license...feel free to e-mail me if you want to...bye and Be Careful out the hunting.

deadshot 11-01-2004 07:10 PM

RE: I am disabled and would like to chat

BJ welcome to the boards , i wouldnt sweat the heat if i where you get your licence and go for a hunt best medicine in the world is a nice day in the outdoors ,, where are you from im in mich not the best weather here right now more rain than anything else but hey we gotta make due with the hands we are dealt,,

BJ_Friley 11-01-2004 08:56 PM

I live in Mississippi...I was in my college class when I became a member of hunting.net, and I was in class when I messaged the forum...so, I am so surprised that I received a reply this quickly to me being a new member...I also replied to a message about a guy wanting to know what is a good crossbow...well I have several deer hunters in my college class so I asked them...they sent me to a website for crossbows, and I left the website address in the message reply that I sent...so, e-mail me at anytime - my email address is [email protected]

God Bless and Be Safe!

1dahunter 11-02-2004 09:28 AM

Welcome BJ_Friley you will like it here as everyone is great. I agree with deadshot just getting out is the best medicine. I wish you good luck with your hunting.

BJ_Friley 11-02-2004 01:00 PM

thanks for your response...it is raining again today (election day - Nov 2)...so it might get cold enough to go hunting....i went to the bank today and got a money order to send in to the Mississippi Dept of Wildlife, Fisheries, and Parks to receive a new Hunter's Education Card...so, as soon as I get the card, I will go hunting...God Bless and Be Safe

1dahunter 11-02-2004 11:04 PM

BJ I feel thats the best thing you could do as I love it when I can get out and be around Gods creatures it makes me feel good. I also take anti depressants, I had alot of depression after my disability and find if I dont go and do some things I like once in a while the anti depressants dont work so I am constantly out hunting or at the gun range and am also getting into black powder fire arms as something else to do to keep me happy. My youngest son is bi polar so I can relate a little to your disability. My son is 18 and he knows that he must make himself get up and go do someting that he enjoys and it helps him alot , when he gets home he is in a great mood and tells me all about his great day. So what you are doing is great and keep it up and stay with it youll be happier in the long run. Good luck and God bless you.Jimmy

BJ_Friley 11-03-2004 10:46 AM

Thanks for your reply...it encourages me when I saw that you take anit-depressants and still get out there and do stuff like hunting.

Be Careful and God Bless

BJ

bigkentk 11-03-2004 09:25 PM

Deadshot is that in the up or the lower where you live?bigkentk

Grizzlybear 11-05-2004 09:54 AM

Hi, BJ-

I can relate! I have been diagnosed with depression/anxiety, and it is a constant battle. You have got to commit yourself to beating it, and it's a long road. I would suggest that you set your goals for your hunt as ONLY being a time to relax and enjoy the outdoors. If you set the taking of a deer as your goal, and don't get one, that may set you up for a depressive episode. I speak from experience. I come home more often than not just about ready to throw my bow/flyrod/gun away, but I know that isn't the right answer and it's not healthy.

Remember - you're fighting a DISORDER - it's NOT you!!!!!

BJ_Friley 11-05-2004 02:34 PM

Thanks for the advice on going just to get out and relax in the good old outdoors...I will go out there to enjoy the fresh air and if I kill me game the good but if I don't atleast I have had fresh air to breath.

God Bless and Be Careful

BJ