Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Groups > Disabled Hunters
 Guess there are not that many Dis. hunters >

Guess there are not that many Dis. hunters

Disabled Hunters How-to's, adapted equipment, methods, disabled hunting laws, managed hunts, and more!

Guess there are not that many Dis. hunters

Old 10-18-2004, 09:38 PM

Default RE: Guess there are not that many Dis. hunters

Hey riverlab,went through the same thing after i got hurt.get the same feelings yet but learned to adjust.the real challenge is for him to get back out and hunt again and seems he has that well done.thats were you as a friend help him get his deer out of the woods so he can enjoy the fruits of his labor.just find ways to distract him from thinking about all the restand he will come around.bigkentk
Old 10-18-2004, 09:41 PM

hunter,glad to hear your still going after what went on in adams.bigkentk
Old 10-19-2004, 05:10 AM

Unless he is 100% totally disabled, have him sit right there with the rest of the troops at the boneing table and keep tossing chunks of meat to him (along with a beer for every 4th chunk of meat...) and have him do your butterflying. It won't take long for him to forget about anything but a good time with the rest of his buddies.... And he may very well become the best butcher of the crowd!!!! Wish you all the very best!!!! Oh I forgot to mention that some of the loin should be a cooking and eaten while sucking some of those suds down!!!! A little pot of heart stew goes a long way too of having a great ole time!!!!
Old 10-19-2004, 01:20 PM

Hey riverlab yes we are still talking about disabled and I know how your friend feels and it will take time to get used to it but the main important thing is to remember that he is still able to hunt, there are alot of us that cant do it any more and he should be glad that he still can. Its very hard to see your friends doing all the work for you but believe me he will get used to it . How I got over it is I always gave 1/2 of my harvest to the one who helped me and that way I would feel like I showed my appreciation. Tell him that its tough at first but it will get better. Dont let him get to the point of wanting to give up then life isnt as much fun, Tell him to hang in there and there are lots of us in his position.
Old 10-19-2004, 01:30 PM

Hey bigkentk I may be stuck with public land but I aint givin up I will go everyday season is open God willin! You ever hunt squirrel? whats the trick here in wisconsin man I found a place with lots of squirrel sign and nests everywhere but after 4 hours I never seen a squirrel any Idea what up with that? It was a little windy yesterday and Im thinkin that might of been it. Ive seen squirrel calls at wal-mart but I didnt think I would need one but now im not so sure. Whats your Idea? Jimmy
Old 10-19-2004, 07:54 PM

Hunter. yes i have hunted squirrels and still do.seems when its windy they kinda hole up.but try to hunt closer to a food source they will be on the ground.i try to hunt them early in the morning when they seem to be putting on the feed bag after a long night.even try them in the rain doesnt seem to bother them as much as the wind.bigkentk
Old 10-19-2004, 10:09 PM

thanks 1dahunter

my friend didn't seem to be as bothered by us cleaning his deer as he did when i killed a deer and had to track it by myself. I think he just wanted to help really bad. He was just that kind of guy!
he is all about hunting. I only worry about turkey season. It is a lot easier to get back into the deer woods than I think it will be to get to turkey hunt.
Old 10-19-2004, 10:18 PM

riverlab.i always hunt turkeys on a field edge and get one every year.where you from?bigkentk
Old 10-20-2004, 12:37 AM

Hey riverlab bigkentk is the one to talk to about turkey huntin. I am glad that your friend is all in to hunting thats really the only thing that keeps me going. If I can help any at all just ask.
Old 10-20-2004, 12:39 AM

bigkentk Thanks for the help on the squirrels I feel better that it might of been the wind and I will try early morning, I will keep you informed. Thanks again!

Quick Reply: Guess there are not that many Dis. hunters

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.