Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Groups > Disabled Hunters
 Guess there are not that many Dis. hunters >

Guess there are not that many Dis. hunters

Community
Disabled Hunters How-to's, adapted equipment, methods, disabled hunting laws, managed hunts, and more!

Guess there are not that many Dis. hunters

Old 01-05-2004, 11:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Guess there are not that many Dis. hunters

Michael,I have had M.S. since 1987 and stuck in a wheelchair since 2000. I hunt deer with a gun and crossbow,turkeys in the spring and I love to hunt woodchucks here in PA. In 2001 I travled to New Mexico to hunt pronghorn and had a great time and took a nice "goat" as they call them out west. My next trip is going to be for elk in 2005 in New Mexico again. I would have gone sooner but I have one more daughter's wedding to pay for this year and then I start my planning of my "dream hunt"...
Old 01-05-2004, 12:39 PM
Giant Nontypical

PaJack I hear ya man. My good friend has MS and we hunt/fish together all the time. He's not in a wheelchair yet, but they say he will be by next year. So we just built wider box blinds and plan to add ramps to them for him.

Good luck. I hope you kill a monster Elk. That is something I've always wanted to do myself.
Old 01-05-2004, 04:54 PM

I have OI and been depending on a wheelchair all my life. I dont really consider myself stuck in one because some of the prices of our wheelchair go for more than some KIA's lol. I tend to look at things a different way, play the hand that god delt you but have a few A's up your sleeve. I would love to come down for fall bow, I use a cross bow and I would like to come down and hunt for a few days.

The spot I have up here is a little hard to get to but over the summer I could find a good spot that I think I can get a wheelchair into. I will do my best to find a good spot but living in NJ there are really limited spots. every 150 yards you got some slob hunter that take no time picking a spot baiting it and tending to it all year. Just walks into the woods finds some deer crap and puts up a stand. I cant stand that. I believe in Hunting hunting, going out and spending time glassing watching getting to know my prey, becoming one with the deer. So you will be able to tell at what time and where there going and what there doing. So it makes for a better time out in the woods. I have only taken one deer in my life but seen alot. But due to slob hunters and other factors I have not taken anything worth talking about.

I would love to come down there and Hunt with you we should get to know one another so we can tell that were not some nut on the net. lol hey you never know.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Michael
Old 01-05-2004, 09:12 PM

I am not disabled. I do feel for those of you whom are and have no help enjoying "our" outdoors. As I have posted before, I would be very happy to help any of our outdoorsmen (and women) to enjoy the outdoors. I live in central Ohio. I have a small parcel, 25 acres, in southern Ohio (Scioto county). Please feel free to contact me. I would only be willing to share with a person whom has the same respect for the land that I do.

OhioDuckHunter
Old 01-06-2004, 10:10 PM

When you say respect for the land I hope you dont mean hugging trees or anything lol

I say that we maybe start some kind of disabled swap a hunt or something or have some kind of weekend at some hotel and make it kind of a dinner slash get to know one another type thing. I dont know but we all should do something. We all watch tv shows where they take disabled hunters out for hunting trips but some how that never seams to happen to us. It is just like it is so hard to get someone to call you back and give you some information when there having events like that. I live in NJ and it would take me like 23 hr to get to some places there having these events. I say we have them closer to where we live not some where out in the boons. However there are some nice deer out in the boons, but sometimes it is hard going away for more than 2 days because you have a family or jobs to think about. I dont know I am just throwing ideas out here. I would like your imput on these questions.

I am going hunting on Thursday my friend is taking me out on his ATV. So at least I will get on day in this week. Now to hang one on the chain.

Wish me luck all I will let you know how i did and if i get one i will post it on my web pages.

Michael
Old 01-08-2004, 06:56 PM

Yea we need to get more people to talk. just cause your disabled doesnt mean yur not part of the hunting communitie and arnt just like all of us.
Old 01-09-2004, 08:52 AM

I am disabled too. but not the wheel chair thing. A year ago this month I died
between some mighty smart doctors and the good lord; I am still here but on oxygen 24/7; I'm glad there is other people I share ideas where we can one another in our endeavors to be out doors. Maybe we should get a chat room going. I noticed there was some on this site perhaps we could use one of them.
I have gunsmith that is in a wheel chair born to one I believe; he goes duck hunting, deer hunting every year. Thanks for letting me rant and rave. gunsite
Old 01-09-2004, 11:12 AM

Hi LordRipper (and hello to the rest of you guys/gals as well),

I've stopped by the forum once or twice and glanced around and always rather quickly moved on. I am not disabled or physically handicapped...but my son, David was. He had Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy. For those that don't know....it's a degenerative disease, genetic, and his form (Duchenne) is terminal between teen to mid-20's or so. (Though some modern medical techniques have stretched out the life expectancy, and quality, a little.)

To make somewhat of a long story...somewhat shorter....David was in a chair pretty much full time by age nine. First a manual, and shortly after, a power. When I was stationed at Aberdeen Proving Grounds in the late 80's and early 90's, David took the hunter safety course, passed, and passed the shooting exam portion of APG's test. I would park my truck at our "drawn" area of Edgewood Arsenal, carry in our gear, and go back to the truck and "piggy back" David into the stand. (That was before he had spinal fusion surgery and he could still support his own head. Sometime prior to his surgery he came to a point that my piggy backing him was intolerable for him.) At the end of the day we just reversed the process. He never got a deer...but we sure enjoyed those hunts. As APG and Edgewood were shotgun only I purchased an H&R single barreled 20 gauge and equipped it with a Williams Peep sight. We unscrewed small aperature and just sighted in the "big hole" provided as the threaded sight. You never see the threads when looking through it. Just "one big hole"...a Ghost sight before that term became popular. We sighted it in with Brennekes for their extra effectiveness. But after the fact I realized that we should have used standard Fosters. The Brennekes are heavier...and kicked the daylights out of him when he qualified. APG's qualification was a 6" pie plate at about 75 yards, and you had to hit it 3 out of 5 times to qualify. David hit it his first three shots...and the tester saw the beating he was taking....and did not require him to shoot the last two shots. It took David nearly ten minutes to suffer through those three shots...that's how bad the felt recoil was for him...but to his credit....even when I suggest he quit...he didn't. (And yes...a more proud father never existed!)

One time in Pennsylvania a friend and I had a local farmer's permission to drive our truck into one of the back fields. He sat and supported David upright....I sat and was the "gun rest". The rifle David used that day was a Winchester 94/22 Magnum. (And with that muzzle only 12" or so in front of my face you'd better believe I closed my eyes....covered my ears...and grimmaced.) On that day he took the only "animal" he ever harvasted. A "trophy" woodchuck! Yes....even though we didn't have lots of money then....I had it mounted! (And I still have it....though after all the moves in the military it is showing its age. But as a side note.....the friend that accompanied us that day is now a Taxidermist...and has consented to "freshen up" the mount for us. Strage how life weaves its little circles!?!)

When we first moved to Alaska in 92 David was not mobile other than his chair. I had taken a Remington Youth model 7, chambered in .243 Winchester, and had it ported. (Always trying to reduce recoil.) David had a plexiglass tray that mounted on his chair...and we would "jury rig" a rifle rest. He enjoyed shooting that rifle at the range for sometime.....and we even went on a "truck camping/hunting trip" but he never got another shot at game. I don't think he minded...he just enjoyed being along. The day came that he no longer had enough strength to pull the trigger.....even when the gun was entirely supported for him. And like all the other "watershed" events...we realized another aspect of life was over for him.

He would sometimes go to the range with me after that...but didn't always want to....because other "less knowing" people would sometimes stare. (Which of course was the same as any where else...but he felt more out of place there because there was nothing for him to do.)

I lost him a little over a year ago...to a bad outcome of a surgical procedure...that was to improve his quality of life! He was my baby....my best friend....and my buddy! He is with me every moment of every day...often as not awake and asleep. There are few times that I escape the hurt, but I'd never trade it for the wonderful memories of those 21 years. And the pain is, I suppose, a very small price in comparison to all the wonderful things he was for me!

There are many experiences he and I shared together...that I'd love to share with others. Sometimes I do exactly that...as an outlet for my grief. And at other times I try to "close it away" for short periods of time in an attempt to shield myself from my grief. I've read...and been told....that time helps heal all wounds...and I believe that is probably true. But I know in my heart that the "pain may become bearable".....but in many ways....it will never have "the same joy" as before. Of that, I am certain!

I will from time to time stop by this forum. And I'd like to participate as much as I can, (heaven only knows I have no aversion to the subject). David use to tell his mother and I, "the next person that stares at me....I'll bark at". He never did, and he understood....that most people are just curious, and in many cases feel uncomfortable around people with disabilities....because they have no experience with those people. He also understood it would only take a few minutes of his "talking with them" to alleviate any concerns they may have had, and to help them understand he was normal....in every regard...except for his muscle disease.

He graduated High School with honors....planned on going on to college....and continued to "plan his life" up until the day he died. He was also becoming a very wonderful and interesting person....as well as a son. I will do my best to keep my promise to him, "to be okay", he worried more about his mother and I....and how his death would affect us, then he did about his own prognosis. And I am trying, desperately hard, to keep that promise! So I will try to stop by this forum and participate with the discussions. Though I can't yet promise how frequently. (So much for keeping this post short...huh?)

Didn't mean to bring anyone down....that was not my intent. Thanks in advance for letting a guy share!

Dave
Old 01-09-2004, 12:44 PM
Giant Nontypical

akbound, dave...

All I can say is God bless you and your family.
Old 01-09-2004, 02:32 PM

Wow,
That is one word that came to mind. First I would like to say that I am sorry that you lost your son, as a father I cant emagine what that must feel like. I hope you know that your son lives on in you and now all that have read your post. I do know loss and not to get into it but it was very hard to deal with. But my father said to me no matter how much it hurts you have to go on for that person. Remember the good times you had and think about the smile when he got that trophy woodchuck.

Your a good fater and a person from what I can tell. Keep it up. You never stop being a father just because your son is not here in person. Your happy times that you share with others, and the smile on your face when you tell thoes stories make the all the difference when dealing with the pain. So whit that said I hope you visit us and talk and if you need to vent you should know that we are here for you.

thanks for you post and look forward to seeing your posts again.

Michael

Quick Reply: Guess there are not that many Dis. hunters

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.