Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Groups > Disabled Hunters
 Guess there are not that many Dis. hunters >

Guess there are not that many Dis. hunters

Community
Disabled Hunters How-to's, adapted equipment, methods, disabled hunting laws, managed hunts, and more!

Guess there are not that many Dis. hunters

Old 03-15-2005, 07:36 PM

Default RE: Guess there are not that many Dis. hunters

Hi,I am a paraplegic who loves hunting deer.I have been in a wheelchair for a little over two years,and I have killed two buck,and two doe.I do alot of hunting by myself,and just wanted to see how other disabled hunters went about hunting.I am very new about this computer stuff,but I think that this great to be able to talk to people that understand what we go thru as disabled hunters.
Old 03-16-2005, 01:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: 1dahunter

HighDesertWolf a disability is a disability and no matter what it is we all have to work through our disability to do the things we want to do. My disability is coronary and also IBS lower lumbar facet chronic bursitis both hips broken right shoulder and twice torn left rotor cuff which all could be fixed by surgery but because of my heart they wont do the surgerys. The main thing I have learned is dont ever give up, keep pushing to do what you want other wise life gets very boring and depression sets in. God Bless Jimmy
yep depression, in the begining of my illness I didnt handle it very well and had become depressed I became a recluse never got out or did anything. Over the passed year I figured out how to deal with it and push myself to do the things I want and the depression went away. You are absolutely correct, its also comforting to know that im not alone. this forum has been great.
Old 03-16-2005, 10:09 AM

HighDesertWolf
I think that most of us have some sort of depression upon the discovery of our disability/s. I was like you I went in to seclusion and on my part felt that my life was over since I couldnt do what I wanted any more. After about two years being a recluse a friend called and told me he was coming over to visit well he didnt tell me that he was bringing some one else. This other person was a quadraplegic and he flat out told me that if he can hunt with his disabilitys I sure as hell can with mine. Well he talked me into going hunting with him as an aid, I couldnt believe the determination this man had he told me my biggest disability is one I can cure and that was my depression, he said that is whats keeping me down and by God he was right. I found ways to go and do what I love because of him I am still here and enjoying myself again. This is a great forum its where I have met most of my friends and almost all of the members on my support group are from here. Just dont ever give up buddy keep pushing and enjoying life the best you can. God Bless Jimmy
Old 03-23-2005, 08:46 AM

Depression? Is that what that was called
I look back and hate myself for what I was like.
I also thank my wife and family for dealing with it.
I think I still have brushes with it especially when I can't get out of the house due to weather.

I think that is part of why you don't see a lot of activity or discussions on boards like this. I know it took me a long time to get to where I am and being able to talk about my accident nevermind challenging myself with the outdoor life.
Once a person gets comfortable with themselves and how they are perceived by others they will slowly come out of their shells. Thats what we need to do as much as anything, make them/us feel comfortable, once we do that and help in anyway with that ugly D-word (depression) this board will be more active.
Old 03-23-2005, 09:17 AM

Andy
Thanks for your input, I know what helped me the over come my depression was a quadraplegic and a blind man both out hunting. I had to stop and look at my disabilitys and thought man if they can hunt and enjoy them selves I damn sure can so I just found ways that would work for me. I owe alot to those two so I started a support group to try and help others to over come and have support. Thanks again Andy. Jimmy
The Disabled Life