Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Groups > Disabled Hunters
Shoulder Problems >

Shoulder Problems

Community
Disabled Hunters How-to's, adapted equipment, methods, disabled hunting laws, managed hunts, and more!

Shoulder Problems

Old 12-30-2014, 10:14 AM
Spike

Thank you Savage. I'm really thinking about a crossbow now. Would it be able to take down a Coyote at 50 yards?
Old 12-31-2014, 04:27 PM
Fork Horn

On making a shot on a coyote at 50 yds is a question for both you and I to ask experts.

From what I have seen so far yes with practice.

The archery seasons are open when firearms are not and extend to more areas.

The crossbow is quiet.

As I said recently this crossbow is like getting two new guns!

It's fun and opens new areas.

I have a large basement and I shoot it down there and the wife cannot even hear it.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Barnett-Re...ckage/24534725

$196.00

pic. from the net.

Last edited by Savage_99; 12-31-2014 at 04:31 PM.
Old 01-03-2015, 10:28 AM
Boone & Crockett

Samurile, 50 yards is a stretch for a crossbow, the bolt from a crossbow starts to drop pretty quickly, faster than an arrow from a vertical bow because the bolt is shorter and weighs less. If you can shoot the .243, that would be a better choice for predators and deer sized animals. I do not even feel the recoil from my .243. You say you have shot them before so you know what the recoil feels like. Yes you can practice at long sistances and perhaps be somewhat consistant if it is calm without any wind, bu would you rather be consistant all the time with a rifle or be dependant on the weather with a crossbow.
Old 01-05-2015, 05:10 PM
Spike

Thank you oldtimr. I'm Hoping I will be able to try and shoot the .243 but if it's to much I will try and get a crossbow or become more more ambidextrous than I already am!
Old 02-14-2016, 07:39 PM
Fork Horn

I would use the 243.

They don't kick bad at all and have far far more power, range and accuracy than any bow.
Old 02-19-2016, 10:29 AM
Spike

Default Try .17HMR

Originally Posted by Samurile
Hello I am new to the forum but one of the reasons I joined was because I have shoulder issues. It dislocated twice then I got orthoscopic surgery to prevent it from dislocating again. Well it dislocated again again a couple months ago right as deer hunting here in NC started getting going. Well long story short I'm very limited as what I can do. I don't hunt from a tree stand but am unable to shoot anything other than a .22. Can you guys give me some advice on good guns to use that won't hurt or bother my shoulder that much.
Thanks
try 17 HMR tnt load by cci
Old 02-19-2016, 12:25 PM
Boone & Crockett

Why would anyone recommend a rim fire round for deer hunting? It wouldn't be legal in many states and shouldn't be legal in any!
Old 02-19-2016, 12:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

A.357 rifle has very mild recoil. It is a decent 100 yard gun for deer and coyote sized game. I have seen men with shoulder issues use them to hunt with.
Old 02-19-2016, 03:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm not sure about the extent of your shoulder with dislocations from what you say you at least know your limits. I am curious though is it pain you experience or concern about another dislocation?

As mentioned a crossbow will be a good choice, especially for us here in NC, but find something you can load properly. Will also recommend the 243, good round with minimal recoil for the most part. You may also be able to find a shooting rest or swivable shooting bench.
Old 02-20-2016, 03:49 AM
Spike

i'm trying to say that you don't have to go for deer all the time, accept your limitations, adopt to a different kind of hunt, you can have a lot of fun with small game and yes .17HMR does the job nice with almost no recoil.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.