Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Groups > Disabled Hunters
Disabled hunting in Florida? >

Disabled hunting in Florida?

Community
Disabled Hunters How-to's, adapted equipment, methods, disabled hunting laws, managed hunts, and more!

Disabled hunting in Florida?

Old 10-25-2011, 04:57 AM
Spike

Default Disabled hunting in Florida?

Good morning all!! I just found this site this morning and I have some questions.
First of all, I was diagnosed with MS in Nov. 2009. I can fish still while wading, but hunting I'm afraid is a different story. I can target shoot and I love it. But I'm finding it a bit challenging to find a place to hunt that is not an expensive lease or that someone will help. I walk with a cane, so dragging a deer or hog would be almost impossible for me now.
I can drive and hour or so, but I would have to spend the night. I highly doubt that I could drive back the same day.
Is there anyone that would like to go hunting in West Central Florida? Is there any organizations here that I don't know about? Any ideas?

Thanks,
Rob
Old 10-25-2011, 12:49 PM
Spike

Hey Rob,
Welcome to our forum!
I don't have any specific info, only encouragement. I grew up in Pennsylvania but now live in Brazil. I was diagnosed with ALS in 2006 and rely on a wheelchair, adaptive shooting gear and help from friends to hunt whenever I visit the States (mostly SC).

Try checking the FWC website; I think some WMA's have areas for disabled hunters.
Old 10-26-2011, 03:31 AM
Spike

Ok thanks. I was also born and raised in Pa!
Old 10-26-2011, 03:26 PM
Spike

Hey Rob -

Also a gimp; have been for the past 20+ years. I am moving down to the Ocala FL area within the next couple of years. I'll be looking for a place to retire where I can fish and hunt. There are ways to still pursue your outdoor hobbies. You might want to check out Physically Challenged Sportsmen of America for ideas. Our web site can be found at www.pcsaonline.com Stop by and look us over and join us if you like what you see. Hope to see you there.

Rob Moss
Old 10-27-2011, 09:18 AM
Spike

Thank you Rob Moss!
Old 10-28-2011, 08:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Welcome Rob, my name is Mike and I'm disabled also and I live in East Central Florida. I hope that you know this, but just in case you don't. In Florida all of your hunting, fishing and wildlife management area permits are all free for disabled residents. Here's the link.
http://myfwc.com/license/accessibility/ada-for-hunters/

I hunt a lot on WMA's and I have a permit that allows me to drive offroad while hunting in these areas. It's called a "Special use vehicle permit", get one because it will allow you to drive closer to your stand. Normally on a WMA, vehicle use is restricted only to the main roads. Meanwhile these areas are crisscrossed with access roads and fire lanes, and the SUV permit lets you drive on them.
http://myfwc.com/license/accessibili...ehicle-permit/

If you can't walk at all, or if you need assistance to walk, Florida will issue an Alternative Mobility Permits (AMP). If you get a golf cart, atv, or bad-boy-buggy type ride, that you can hunt from.

http://myfwc.com/license/accessibili...tive-mobility/
Old 11-07-2011, 07:14 PM
Spike

Centaur 1 - Thanks for the links.

RBrowne1971 - I'll let you know when I relocate to FL from NY. Will have a whole lot of time available on my hands. Maybe us 2 gimps can get together to soak a line for them green slimy critters. I am also planning to continue hunting using my atv for deer, turkey, and maybe boar. If you're interested in getting back out there, you can let me know later.
Old 11-08-2011, 05:02 AM
Spike

I'm always interested. Let me know when you get here. What time frame are you looking to relocate?
Old 11-09-2011, 10:08 AM
Spike

I don't mean to be insensitive or to bum anybody out here just being realistic. I am the primary care provider for my lady who is afflicted with Esophageal cancer. Barb is currently under hospice treatment in our home as all radiation and chemotherapy treatments have been concluded. After she passes, I plan to burn most of my bridges here in NY state and relocate to the Ocala FL area. I tell people that will be within the next 2 years.
Old 11-20-2011, 12:24 PM
Spike

I am sorry to hear this.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.