Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Groups > Disabled Hunters
 Questions for other disabled Hunters >

Questions for other disabled Hunters

Disabled Hunters How-to's, adapted equipment, methods, disabled hunting laws, managed hunts, and more!

Questions for other disabled Hunters

Old 04-25-2008, 04:19 PM

Default Questions for other disabled Hunters

I am disabled, and lead a non profit chapter of Outdoors Without Limits in NE Montana. I have spoke with several Guides and Outfitters, now I need help from other disabled hunters, anglers, and trappers. Many are in wheel chairs, maybe have a "bag", need help showering, diet restrictions and such. I want to know what you want to see the outfitters be able to help with, or take into consideration. If you want, send me a PM and we can direct email each other. But the smallest thing can help me educate these guys, so think through a hunting, or fishing trip moment by moment and let me know what you expect from them.

Thanks in advance!

Joe
Old 04-28-2008, 08:50 AM

Default RE: Questions for other disabled Hunters

I'm sitting here, looking at the screen, asking myself - how do I answer this question.

The answer is simple and is staring you in the face.

I am disabled, and the truth of the matter is - if you can't do it, you don't do it.

When you are disabled, you are beholding to other people to help you to get around and you only do what you can do.

A guide or guide service - doesn't owe you anything.

They are in business - to service a special group of people that can get around and will practically kill themselves toyou in a position for you to be able to harvest a trophy animal.

Before my automobile accident 10 years ago, I practically shot a buck every year. Since my automobile accident - I could count how many bucks I have shot on one hand.

Before my automobile accident, I could wake up at 3 AM if I wanted to and be on my stand at 5 Am.. I didn't have to ask anybody for anything and I didn't have to wait for other members of my hunting party to eat, get dressed, put ontheir boots, pack their lunch, find their ammo and all the other stupid excuses that I hear - from my family members every dayof rifle season.

On the worst day - my brother decided not to wake up until 6 AM - because it was raining outside and he didn't want to get wet. NowI wasin the truck at 5:45 AM, with my stuff packed and ready to go.

I left his ass standing on the porch - at 6:30 Am, and I was driving his truck.

Nobody owe's you anything.

You can't go around demanding preferential treatment - just because you are disabled.

A man has got to know his limitations and be able to realize what he can do and what he cannot do and live within his limitations.

If that means staying home - while all his buddies goes out Elk hunting or pheasant hunting - then so be it. There are still other things like sitting in a duck blind or on a whitetail hunt in a stand that he can do with a limited amount of assistance.

But when you start asking for showers and latrines and other things that aren't normally associated with a guide or a drop camp. Then you have to realize that these people works hard and that they only have a couple of weeks a year to make their living and they can't be out spending extra time and money- trying to accommodate you. If it is not good enough - stay home!
Old 04-28-2008, 08:54 AM

I get all that, I am disabled as well. But many of the guides are willing to go the extra maile, and to some, they have a stopping point. I was simply looking for some insight from those who maybe more disabled than I and wanting to know about different expectations and such. Thank you for your response. It does help/

Joe
Old 05-08-2008, 04:54 PM
Boone & Crockett

My memory is not as good as it once was but I think I heard somewhere that we are our brothers keeper. I did a lot of guiding some years back for both hunting and fishing. I enjoyed helping disabled and or disadvantaged people enjoy the things that I took as a given. I don't know if you can set a set of standards to go by. The most important thing is communication between the guide and the disabled hunter. There are limits and as long as the hunter and guide know well ahead of time what is expected of each other, it is a rewarding experience for both. As the quide I wanted to know, can he walk? how far can he walk? Does he need a place to stay that is set up for handi-capped people? Can they drive to your location? That kind of thing. I am willing to ask for help simply because I have always been more than willing to offer it to others. I would make no demands but would love to continue to hunt and fish as long as I can.
Old 05-14-2008, 10:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have found the two hardest things for me are transportation, and bedding. Anybody can hunt a few days without a shower. And most handicapped people can take care of their own sanitary needs.

I personally purchased a Kawasaki Mule and had my friends modify it for me, so that I can get on and off of it. I can hunt from the Mule, and it allows me to travel pretty much where I want to go. I can put a cover on it to stay dry. All I need is help if I shoot a deer.

As far as a vehicle is concerned, most people also have that under control.

The second thing is bedding. I can not go anywhere because I can not comfortably sleep anywhere except at home. Tom.
Old 05-26-2008, 09:55 AM
Spike

hi my name is dan and i,m unique i have changed from then to now so no time to waste remember you are now a singular person no one is exactly the same as you .get into the challenge . getting people to help their scared of injuring you,their feeling helpless to help youtheir overwhelmed sick at heart sound familiar openyour heart grow up be thefather listen to their problems be the strong seargent.sell them that your 100%comitted to do this killin thing i mean convince them YOU WILL NOT QUIT EVER NEVER . TELL THEM YOU,LL TAKE A TAXI TO YOUR HUNTING SPOT AND FALL OUT WITH YOUR RIFLE ..YOU WANT TO DO IT. THEY ARE UN SKILLED AT THIS AND FEAR OF FAILUREHOLDS THEM BACK [IT IS THEIR HANDICAP] .GET THEM WOUND UP ON YOUR FIRE TO GO .THEY,LL SCREW UP COUNTLESS TIMES .JUST LAUGH YOURSELF SILLY AND THat WILL TO TAKE AWAY THEIR FEAR AND THEY,LL BOND TO YOU . IF YOU GET HURTshut upnEVER NEVER gripeGET IT! WHEN THEIR HAULIN YOUR BIG BUT UPA NASTY HILLon a deer haulerSING A MARCHING SONG THEY,LL BLOW A LUNG TO GET YOU THERE.BUY A SEMI AUTO IN 243 OR 22 250 GET A BIG CLIP .GET RID OF ALL THE OTHER STUFF ONE MAN ONE GUN ONE SHOT ONE KILL . THAT TAKES PRACTISE AT HOME SET YOUR POSITION +3000 DRY FIRES THEN 1000 LIVE WITH 22 ,.+AFTER DEER GUN .BUY THE DEER HAULER IT WORKS .2 WAY RADIOS NEVER CALL THEM THEY CALL YOU.THEY,LL CHECK ON YOU MORE THAN YOU NEED.LAST YEAR I PULLED A BUCK INTO MY COROLLA,S TRUNK UP A PIECE OF PLYWOOD WITH A CABLE COMALONG HOOKED TO THE FRONT SEAT RAIL.I,M 57 LAST SPRING 07 HAD A MASSIVE HEART ATTACK dead they brought me back .a dirt bike ate my right arm in 81.So i,m waitin for a new pump.whatever. thats what makes you laugh. pain is free you can have all you want .cry in privatecause its gonna hurt you,ll be the one on point.are ya gonna do it again ya goof???? you bet!
Old 05-31-2008, 07:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have a blog at www.help4hunters.com and Im in the process of building a list of guides and outfitters who provide services to disabled hunters.

One thing we need is a scale or system to let people know what they are dealing with.

For example,

A level 1 hunter can walk on his own but needs to go slow and may need a hand climbing a rocky slope.

A level 5 hunter needs a chair, help aligning the gunand requires a puff trigger to shoot.

is there a system already? is there a list of disabled hunting guides already? I'll be researching more and posting on the blog at help4hunters.com

Good post Joe!
Old 05-31-2008, 10:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Found a little info this morning:

http://www.badf.org/DisabledHunters/...1/Default.aspx
http://www.huntingguidesandoutfitters.net/htm/disabledHunts.html
Old 06-12-2008, 11:08 AM
Fork Horn

I am a quad on a ventilator and both Hunt and outfit so if I can help you in any way just let me know. Thanks, Randy
Old 06-12-2008, 01:30 PM

Sounds GREAT snip! Thanks for responding. I would be more active in the discussion, but have been very busy with some community work, my daughter's pending visit, the never ending honey-do list, and my health has not been the best the last few weeks!

Does anyone know of a website that would have a list of adaptive equipment makers or suppliers, could really use the info. Thanks!
Joe

Quick Reply: Questions for other disabled Hunters

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.