HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Deer Hunting Contest 2004 (Gun) (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/deer-hunting-contest-2004-gun-53/)
-   -   Offical Team 2"Buckhammer Prostaffers" Thread (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/deer-hunting-contest-2004-gun/75925-offical-team-2-buckhammer-prostaffers-thread.html)

dvdegeorge 10-14-2004 04:37 PM

Offical Team 2"Buckhammer Prostaffers" Thread

Ok guys we have a name,everyone on Team 2 post here!Leave a post here and recheck in so we have a count of all on our team.

bc buck 10-14-2004 05:45 PM

RE: Offical Team 2"Buckhammer Prostaffers" Thread

im here captain lol ill be co captain if yall dont care

John Deer 10-14-2004 05:54 PM

Checkin in, see ya next week.;)

dvdegeorge 10-14-2004 06:01 PM

You got it Co-Captain.;)

Virginia Mike 10-18-2004 07:46 AM

Virginia Mike Checking in and ready to hunt. I will be in the woods on Saturday 10/30 at 5am. 1st day of Muzzleloader. Good luck to all.

Mike

VaSavage270 10-27-2004 12:01 PM

POWWWWWWW! Puffffffff can you see the smoke... ready somewhere in the woods..

Virginia Mike 10-29-2004 10:10 AM

Good Luck Team, I know VaSavage and myself will be in the woods bright and early tomorrow AM. Hopefully we can post some big boys on the board for our team early. I will be set up in a river bottom outside of some pines in Loudon County. I know that I won't get much sleep tonight. With any luck, I'll be posting in the AM.

Hunt Safely,
Mike

VaSavage270 10-29-2004 12:16 PM

Yeah Like Mike said,

With any luck i'll be able to post a good harvest in the am, I'll be pirch'd up in a tree over looking a creek bed in culpepper.

John Deer 10-29-2004 05:36 PM

Good luck fella's, keep us posted!

dvdegeorge 10-30-2004 08:19 PM

Good luck!John Deer how is the bow hunting going?Got this one Tues. http://tinypic.com/f6rti

Virginia Mike 11-01-2004 08:33 AM

Hey Guys,

No luck this weekend. I passed on a couple of small bucks. I did get a glimpse of a big shooter 10 point, too far away to shoot. I will be hunting him hard next week on the same property. Good luck to everyone.

Mike

A.R.Hunter 11-08-2004 10:06 AM

Just wanted to check in for the bow only category for our team. Saw a nice buck the other day but no shot yet. They are beggining their rut here in S GA so hopefully the next 2 weeks will produce something.

John Deer 11-08-2004 12:03 PM

dvdegeorge,

That's one nice looking buck you got there!! Congratulations! I'm glad to see your having a successful season so far. I've had a few opportunities at some decent bucks, but I've been holding out for something a little bigger. I should probably go ahead and take a buck, but we're trying to manage our lease so we'll have some real dandy's roaming around in the next few years. It's hard to let a good buck walk, not knowing if your gonna get another chance at something bigger later on in the season. But hey, that's part of managing your deer herd and the benefit down the road will be well worth it. I hope everybody else is having a successful season so far and good luck from here on out. :)

bc buck 11-08-2004 04:31 PM

hey guys i might be getting my first pse nova bow from a friend so if i get it can i be a bowhunter for our team just like ar hunter im goin hunting with derhuntress 56 on her farm and she said theres a 6 point i might get so i migfht be posting soon lol

dvdegeorge 11-10-2004 01:13 AM

Keep at it guys,we need a few more bucks!

Jimmy S 11-17-2004 08:00 AM

Jimmy S here....no luck yet. Still have time these next few weekends hoping to punch my tag on a NH buck.

dvdegeorge 11-20-2004 05:42 AM

It's close now NY opener is Mon.Everything is set and ready to go,now all I have do do is wait for the "Big One" to come by my stand!Good Luck everyone:D

Virginia Mike 11-22-2004 08:35 AM

Hey Guys, No luck yet. I am hitting it hard and spending a bunch of time in the woods. I also have a late season BP hunt in Pike Co. Illinois. I am holding out for a bruiser here in VA for that reason. Good luck and Be Safe. The Wisconsin thing can happen anywhere.

Mike

John Deer 11-23-2004 02:38 PM

I took this buck Sunday morning here in Northeast Oklahoma. He was chasin a doe and gave me a shot at about 50 yards out. he's not the biggest buck I've seen this year, but with limited time to rifle hunt I couldn't pass him up. I also just figured out that I forgot to put my rifle in the picture and here in Oklahoma, if you have a lifetime license, you don't have a deer tag. If these rules disqualify my buck, I'm terribly sorry. I just didn't think about those things at the time. Anyway, here he is.

dvdegeorge 11-25-2004 03:27 AM

Congradulations JohnDeer:DI have been having a rough time here for Ny's gun season.Saw about 15 doe opening AM and then nothing since,until last Pm,hit a new area and saw a small doe and had her bed 20 yards from my stand.Then just before last light I worked my way down to the edge of the green field because I thought I saw a deer there from my stand.I no sooner got to the edge and there is a shooter buck running a doe!They run back into the high golden rod and a few seconds latter back out,I pull up on him and my scope is fogged and wet from the driving rain [:@]I dry it off and just as I get on him off they go again.I deceide to move closer but don't see them ,so I back off because the wind was bad,I wait along the edge in hopes they apear again.5 min. latter out he comes angeling away from me ,then he stops and faces me at about 100 yards,again dam scope wet and foggy,dry it of and get on him as best I can in the fading light and foggy scope,Boom I shoot,he buckles and starts running straight at me,favoring his left side,I can't get on him good and his passes 30 yards from me DAM SCOPE AND RAIN[:@][:'(]He runs straight into 7' goldenrod and I don't see him anymore.Now it is getting dark fast ,I did a scan for about 15 min and couldn't locate him,It seemed he was hit good I was expecting him to drop any second.I am getting ready to head back out to try to find him in the daylight,that golden rod is so thick and high I could have walk 5' from him and not seen him.I'm hopeing for the best,but the way my luck has been running I'm expecting the worst.I'll post back and let you know the out come.Good luck all and happy Thanksgiving

John Deer 11-26-2004 05:11 PM

Good luck dvdegeorge, I hope you find him. What kind of scope are you using? I use a Simmons and I've never had a problem with it. Anyhow, keep us posted on how it turns out.

dvdegeorge 11-26-2004 07:55 PM

Well bad news didn't find him,just started my search and a group of tresspassing hunters[:@]came through and put on a drive kicked him out of his bed and there where numerous shots fired.After they where read the riot act and told no more warning next time arrests would occur,I search where they had shot and found no one around but today I found the gut pile of a large buck in the high grass,apperently they left it until I was gone and came back latter in the day to get the deer.I hunt this area sparingly and smart according to the wind,and in 1 short hour some Aholes mess everything up[:'(]hopefully things settle down and the deer move on their natural pattern again.Very frustrating thanksgiving morning,well off to Pa. in the AM to get ready for Mon. opener.Good luck and I'll post my results one way or the other when I return.

John Deer 11-27-2004 09:05 AM

Sorry to hear that dvdegeorge.:( It's more than aggrevating when your trying to take care of your property and hunt it the right way and then find out that someone else has been tresspassing. I hope you have better luck in Pa.

Virginia Mike 11-29-2004 09:57 AM

Sorry to hear that story Dvdegeorge. That really ticks me off. I also have been waiting for the right wind to hunt a great stand. It came on Friday and I walked in only to find someone sitting IN my stand. He also had a buddy in another of my stands right across the river from him. I very politely apoligized for walking in on him and his buddy and wished them luck, and backed out. Went right to my truck and called the warden. I waited at the truck for the warden and when he got there we began to walk in. Then we heard a shot and it turns out the guy shot a doe out of my stand. We walked up to both of the poachers and the warden cuffed them both and called for help. He took their rifles, car keys, and the deer. I will need to appear in court next month, but I don't think they will be on my land again. It ruined a good day of hunting, but I feel I did the right thing. Keep sticking it out and put as many hours in the stand as you can. I'll be praying my "Big Buck" prayer for you.

Good Luck and stay safe,
Mike

dvdegeorge 12-01-2004 08:46 PM

Well,back from Pa. and my luck is still running bad[:@]Lost another good buck.Opening morning I had a nice 8 pt. in the field adjacent to the stand I was in,he was about 225 yards away but I had a rest in my stand and felt confident,there was a hedge row between the two fields but I could see day light,so I squeeze, off the buck ran into the hedge roe and up the hill into the thick tangle of brush and blow downs.I waited 15 min. and got down to check for signs of a hit.I found blood and the tracking job began.Now normally I would have waited longer to track this deer but opening day in Pa. on land that I was sharing with numerous other hunters had me take up the trail sooner than usual.The blood was good and steady so I kept up the pace,soon I was crawling through thickets and blow downs.Bleeding seemed to get a bit heavier,I could hear the buck ahead of me so I slowed up.Then he crossed a powerline and started walking up it as I followed the blood I saw a deer jump in the woods off the powerline,anther hunter was sitting in the woods and saw him at a distance,so I waited a minute and then started up the tracking again.So far about 1 1/2 hours has elapsed and I have been on his blood trail the whole time without any difficulty in keeping on the trail.Now the blood gets really good 2 large pools,as I creep ahead I see him about 80 yards ahead in a thick tangle of bruch and branches.Now I get a close look at him and he's much better than I had thought.I quickly raise up on him as he turns and I get a quick shot off.I then run up to a gas line as I think thats where he's headed,I don't see him as I look down over the gas line into the woods,I see a hunter right below ,so I head back to the spot he was and find a 3' area strewn with hair,I follow the blood trail which in now getting sparse,he did cross the gas line and go over into the woods with the other hunter.The hunter tells me he saw my buck about 75 yards from him but deceided not to shoot because he didn't want to upset someone if he ruined some meat,he said the buck could barely move and make it over a downed tree and he should be laying over the tree just beyond,I was so happy now I rush to the area and began to search,No deer and now no more blood:(I spent the next 2 1/2 hours searching in every direction to no avail.To make matters worse the hunter told me what a great buck it was,very wide and heavy beamed[:o]I still can't figure out what happened if I hit hit just low in the upper leg,shoulder area,if I caught brush in the hedge row,or if my bullet (140 gr.nosler ballistic tip 7mm08) blew apart and failed.I saw 3 more buck that afternoon, all small 2 4pt. and a 5 pt.I shot a doe that was already shot in the back leg and was missing the lower half of the other leg,she was not getting around too well,so I took her,even though I didn't plan on talking a doe that day.Well I wished things had work out better,but I'll hang in there the season in NY has a couple weeks left.Hope everyone else is having all the good luck cause I think I'm having eveyone's share of the bad.

Virginia Mike 12-02-2004 09:08 AM

Hey Guys, I am with dvdegeorge. My luck this season is bordering on unbelievable. Yesterday I shot at a real nice 10pt on my own land. It crossed the river (small water) and headed into a bedding area. Then I heard another shot and got real concerned. By the time I could cross the river and check it out, all that was left was a nice gut pile and a pickup leaving the seen. I couldn't get a plate #, but did give a description to the warden. This is the 2nd poacher in 2 weeks that has ruined things for me. The land is posted all over and there is a chain lock at the parking area. I am getting very frustrated. I am going to a friends place this evening. He has left a patch of corn up and I think that it will be good if the wind is right. Hang in there dvdegeorge, I'm with you. I just keep thinking that all this bad luck makes us due for a wallhanger. Has anyone on our team posted a buck yet? Just wandering if we have any points on the board.

Mike

John Deer 12-02-2004 11:02 AM

I'm sorry to hear that you guys are having such bad luck.[:o] It makes me even more appreciative of the buck I got. I just scored him last night after I went and picked him up from the processor. I got a score of 102 3/8 inches. If he wouldn't have busted his G2 off at the beam on his right side he'd have had another 7 or 8 inches. Anyway, I'm gonna post him in the score thread. I hope that they'll accept the score since I forgot to have my rifle in the pic. dvdegeorge and Virginia Mike, hang in there, your luck is bound to change for the better.:)

Virginia Mike 12-03-2004 12:26 PM

Hey John Deer, Way to go! That's a nice buck you got there. I am keeping a good, positive outlook now. I have given permission, for this weekend and next week, for two Virginia State Troopers to hunt on my land. I figure they will take care of my poaching problem and foster a little friendship. I hope they take some good deer. I even waved the 8pt or better rule for them. I leave on Tuesday for Pike Co., Illinois for a late blackpowder hunt. I'm praying for a monster. I'll keep you guys posted.

Mike

dvdegeorge 12-04-2004 07:31 AM

Congrates John Deer,my bad luck continues,wanted to hunt a stand on the backside of a cut corn field,neighboring property gets hunted and I figure Sat. will get some pressure.Well walking in was very noisey 25 degrees and very crunchy snow covering the ground,so I deceided to set up at a point in the field under a large hickory tree,and watch the field,the deer usually cut the field and pass this tree.Well at 7:00 AM I see movement along the lower wood line ,then a doe appears and another,they got push out of the neighboring property like I suspected and hoped would happen.Then out comes a nice shooter buck,only problem is these deer stay low along the wood line and don't angle to the hickory tree as they usually do.The deer where about 235 yards away if I had got in the stand I was heading to originally I would have had a chip shot[:@]Someone take the curse off me now,I surrender and have had enough:(

John Deer 12-04-2004 09:18 AM

dvdegeorge, I hereby remove the curse from you and wish you good luck in it's place!:D It's just a matter of time now.;)

Jimmy S 12-06-2004 01:20 PM

Jimmy S here...Sad to note no deer this year. I didn't see many deer hunting in both Maine and NH. I only saw two deer during one week in Maine, one I could not tell if it was a buck or not, the other was a doe. In NH, I passed on a nice doe Opening Day and that decision meant no venison this year. I did see deer only two other time during the entire NH season. Both times it was 3-4 deer (all does) and then 5 deer, 3 of which were does and the other two I could only see legs, tails etc. Soooooo, Again, sorry guys, I could not add to the team totals.

bc buck 12-06-2004 04:13 PM

hope u do better next year bud well lets just say ive got permission to hunt my 2 uncles land their land connects caus emy grandpa died and they split it down the middle well that bout 60 acres that hasnt been hunted except twice and they got their late so deer havent been harvested there for yrs and i ve saw deer
and my uncles saw a nice 10 out there plus other bucks maybe ill have some luck hey its not the winning that makes it fun its the fun of bein in the outdoors lol tc

John Deer 12-10-2004 10:10 AM

Do any of you guys still have any gun season left?

dvdegeorge 12-10-2004 11:07 AM

Yes,I have until Tues for gun and then 1 week following for muzzleloader,still time for the bad luck to leave.I will try to get out this evening,even though We have a good soaking rain[:'(]But maybe that will give me the property to myself tonight[:-]

John Deer 12-10-2004 03:29 PM

Good luck dvdegeorge. I hope you get him.:)

bc buck 12-10-2004 04:32 PM

my season is just getting started lol not really it started on november 13th but my season ends january first so i got awhile to hunt last night i just passed hunter safety they gave me my card and i went right to walmart and got my tags in my county a kid is allowed to hunt by his self as long as he has passed his hunter safety class out of 50 question i scored 49 and a half well i asked game warden he said even tho im only 13 im a legal hunter dso i can hunt by myself with out an adult so i am goin after this massive 10 my uncle saw :D i aint gonna mess up and leave gun out of picture or anything like that im gonna make sure i get him to the place im hunting is a 50 acre area my uncle owns it has a stream running thru it and a creek on the line of it has an old house im gonna use as blind deer come right
by around 30 yrds tops he said there is herds of deer there i recently saw 7 of them out there in field i am gonna set up at the pea patch its 25 yrds from creek a old abandoned dirt road which isnt used anymore they cross at found their tracks and im gonna wait for him to come by im only gonna ge thta deer or nothing to help us out hey if we dont win no biggie we are here to have fun and ive enjoyed having yall on my team soon ill be posting a massive ten which i have saw my self later tc and good luck

Virginia Mike 12-16-2004 08:04 AM

Hey Guys,

Just got back from Pike County, Illinois. This is touted as the Big Buck Capitol of the World. Yeah Right. I hunted sun up to sun down for 4 straight days and saw 5 deer total. 2 of them had pieces of arrows sticking out of them. Very disappointing! I won't name the lodge and outfitter, but they had very clearly put us on farms that had been hunted too hard for 4 straight weeks. My guide, and I use that term loosely, had no idea how to work the wind. It was a flat out waste of money. I am going to get out for the next 3 days here in VA. Our season stays in until January and I have a friend that has been scouting for my while I was gone. There is a nice 8ptr that is pretty regular to a certain area. I am going to hunt him the next 3 days. I'll keep you informed. We have a weather system moving in on Sunday and that will help get them up and moving. Good luck and I'm trying to pull my share.

Mike

Virginia Mike 12-20-2004 08:34 AM

Hey Guys, I was a bit lucky on Saturday and shot an OK 10 pointer. Don't get too excited, he only scored 113 3/8's. The deer just don't have the nutrition in the mountains. I am having a hard time posting the buck picture. Can I email it to one of you that is experienced in posting pics. I'll try to post the pic here again, but it never seems to work.

Virginia Mike
Team #2
113 3/8's
Taken in Va. We don't need tags, call in system was used.

Virginia Mike 12-20-2004 01:53 PM

Alright, I finally got it done. Looks real wierd taking up the whole page. Don't know what I did, but it is up on the official score thread.

Mike

dvdegeorge 12-20-2004 10:58 PM

Congrats,good work,nice buck,way to keep at it the whole season:D