Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > The Archives > The Archives > Deer Hunting Contest 2004 (Gun)
 Offical Team Buck Snipers (1) Thread >

Offical Team Buck Snipers (1) Thread

Deer Hunting Contest 2004 (Gun) All posts regarding the Rifle Deer Hunting Contest 2004 go into this Forum.

Offical Team Buck Snipers (1) Thread

Old 10-04-2004, 09:55 PM

Default RE: Offical Team Buck Snipers (1) Thread

Hey wihunter its in adams county near Neekosa. I hope your area improves after they cut the corn!! Do you have any idea on about when the rut will start? Most of the locals I talked to are saying mid to late oct.
I am already seeing scrapes and rubs.
Old 10-05-2004, 07:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have often found that the rut gets going the first week of November. My problem with that is everyone is blasting away during the T-Zone and all the bucks go nocturnal. That is good for future years but not this year. Last year I had been seeing a couple of nice bucks but after T-Zone I only got them on the trail camera at like 4:00 in the morning. From what I have heard nobody got them. Should be some dandys out there somewhere. Don't get me wrong I do gun hunt as well. I just prefer to get the big guys with the bow. Anyway to answer your question I think it may even start during the T-Zone this year. I think the full moon on the 28th will play a part. In that case I may be able to catch them before the gun season starts.
Old 10-05-2004, 07:54 AM

wihunter40 - what is this T-Zone you keep referring to. Can't say that I've ever heard of it!
Old 10-05-2004, 08:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sorry David. It is a pain in the butt thing that the WI DNR does. What they do is have a 4 day gun hunt for Doe only the last weekend in October. This really messes up everything for us bowhunters. The big bucks hide from then on. Now I happen to be in what they are calling the CWD management zone. This means I can earn a buck tag for EVERY doe that I kill. I can get 4 FREE doe tags EVERYDAY. Now I do not plan on shooting alot of does because that means there won't be that many next year when I have to earn a buck again. See the flaw in there system. They want the does shot and I would like to help but then I have a harder time next year. Anyway in the CWD zones you can take a buck in the October T-Zone hunt.

Keep in mind I have nothing against gun hunters. I continue to gun hunt. It is just in our area rifles are allowed and if a buck steps out at 300 yards he is as good as dead. Many guys up here are shooting their rifles sited in dead on at 250 which makes 300-350 no problem. Makes it difficult for the bucks to get old enough to get the big racks.

Sorry to ramble but as you can tell I really don't like the T-Zone when it is. I would not mind having it moved to the first weekend in October and make it doe ONLY even in the CWD zones. Then by the rut things will calm down. Our regular gun season starts the Saturday before Thanksgiving. Then for me in the CWD it goes until Jan. 2nd. I just feel it is too long to have rifles out in the woods. JMO. Hope that helps.
Old 10-05-2004, 09:47 AM

This will be my first year hunting a T Zone, its the first time it has opened in my area since I started hunting it. I am hoping it will give me a distinct advantage since its doe only and with my disabled permit I am allowed to take a buck at that time. I hunt 22A which is a small area and most of the hunters in that area are lookin for trophys so I am hoping that they dont even show up. At the very least it will help even up the odds as with my disability I cant get very deep into the woods so if they are in there blasting at does I got a better than average chance at a buck coming out.
Old 10-05-2004, 11:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

I DO agree totally with you being able to take a buck with your disability. To me that is something that the DNR is doing that is good. I actually agree with a lot of what the DNR does. I just don't like the timing of the T-Zone. I hope you are able to connect with a nice buck early. Can you carry it out on that scooter of yours or do you have friends to help?
Old 10-05-2004, 06:10 PM

Hey wihunter I will be going with friends who always drag it out for me and field dress it. They are true blessings. I did drag one out with my scooter so I know it has the power to do it if I need it.
Old 10-06-2004, 07:35 AM

30 more days! I'm going to go to South Texas around Hebbronville for opening weekend and hunt for four days. I'm really starting to get the fever.
This weekend I'm taking some customers out to West Texas for an exotic hunt, maybe that will hold me over until the season starts. I'm going to try for a large axis or fallow deer.
Old 10-06-2004, 08:06 AM

good luck and have fun
Old 10-06-2004, 07:46 PM

ORIGINAL: wihunter402

Hope that helps.
Well, I understand the T-zone. Ya'll's situation seems to be somewhat similar to WMA land in Georgia. A couple of days here for one hunt. A few days there for another type of hunt. Oh, and don't forget the few days during the rut when the "Great Pumpkin Parade" (a quote from some magazine article referring to safety orange) marches through all the public lands.

I'm glad I found some private land. I can bag 12 dear (2 bucks, 10 does) and I have until January 9th. Right now I'm slingin' arrows for the time. So far I'm really looking forward to rifle season (in other words, 3 opportunities to shoot: 2 misses and 1 bust). Deer woods 3 / David 0!!!

It's bad. I hunted with my uncle in N. GA this weekend. He shot a doe. Wound up giving it to me because he felt bad that I had no meat in the freezer. What a pal. I thinked him, but didn't know how to feel about it. or

Quick Reply: Offical Team Buck Snipers (1) Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.