Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > The Archives > The Archives > Deer Hunting Contest 2004 (Bow)
 Official Team "Braggin Bucks" (23) Thread >

Official Team "Braggin Bucks" (23) Thread

Deer Hunting Contest 2004 (Bow) All posts regarding the 2004 Deer Hunting Contest go into this Forum.

Official Team "Braggin Bucks" (23) Thread

Old 10-24-2004, 11:50 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Official Team "Braggin Bucks" (23) Thread

I saw 8 does and a little buck last night. It was great, stalked up withing 20 yards of a doe on the way in to my stand. The wind was strong enough she didn't have a clue until the squirrels busted me. The little forkhorn I saw grunted and chased after 3 does that came by. I think the little guys are getting excited, but the big boys are probably a week to 10 days away. More corn is coming out so it should only get better. Good luck everyone.
Old 10-25-2004, 07:08 AM
Fork Horn

Went out three times over the weekend...man, it's been windy this year. I had a 6 ptr. within 40 yards from me for two hours Saturday morning...it didn't move at all! It just stood there in the rain and wind, not moving a muscle. When the rain finally stopped, he slowly walked away.

Going on our annual hunting trip this Friday...getting excited. Some of you Midwest guys, any signs of rut activity? I expect that when I get back from the trip, pre-rut should be in full swing. Stinking corn is still up near my "hot" stand. This rain is not allowing the farmers to get their crops out.
Old 10-25-2004, 07:24 AM
Typical Buck

Had a solid 120 buck wind me at 15yds!!! Another 5 steps and he was mine!!!! Got down out of the stand sat morning and walked over to the creek to check for tracks when I noticed some deer across the way. I see this gut right away and get set up. Watch him cross and get even with me. He stops, looks my way, snorts and then he is gone... Almost...

Passed a small 5 in the evening. Watched some other small bucks in the distance scraping along the field line...
Old 10-25-2004, 09:30 PM
Typical Buck

I went out tonight and saw 4 does and 2 little bucks. The one forkhorn was grunting following behind a doe. He then went to the top of the hillside and locked up with the other small buck. They pushed each other around a bit and then went on their way. We should be getting into good pre-rut activity by the weekend. The corn is slowly disappearing. Good luck all.
Old 10-27-2004, 06:56 PM
Typical Buck

Well guys, I scored on a decent buck last night. I have scored him out at 97, not what I was hoping for, but it will help us out alot. Here is the story:

I sat in the stand for 2 hours seeing only 4 raccoons. The wind was perfect and I could here a lot of noise in the corn and just over the ridge. I was just thinking I was going to get skunked when something came over the hill behind me downwind. He was 5 yards down the hill before I saw him. There were alot of little trees in the way and most still had their leaves. I could see the rack through the trees and thought that he was wider than his ears or at least as wide as his ears. I never looked at the rack again. He continued to walk down the hill into my shooting lane at 7 YARDS. I made a grunt sound with my mouth and he stopped in his tracks. I laid my sights on him and let the arrow fly. I saw that I grazed the back of his right shoulder and heard the arrow smack. The buck limped about 50 yards away, then began to sway for 10-20 yards and dropped. He held his head up though. I thought maybe the shot wasn't as good as I had hoped. I waited for it to get dark enough for me to not see the tree he fell beside, and I snuck out for help. We came back in an hour and he was piled up where I saw him fall. We then had the drag from h*ll, up two hillsides, and through a standing corn field. It was all worth it. This is the biggest bow killed buck for me to date. We weighed him in at about 185lbs. field dressed, which estimates him at 250lbs. on the hoof. I somehow have found a way to be frustrated though because I have passed up bigger bucks in the past. I think I got caught in the heat of the moment and made a snap decision. These points will help us, but I know I could have got us alot more. DON'T GET ME WRONG, I AM VERY PROUD OF THIS DEER!! Every deer I have shot with the bow has been a trophy in my book. I will be practicing my taxidermy skills on him. I have pictures that I will be developing tomorrow and hope to have on here by the weekend. Good luck to everyone else, the next two weeks should be a blast here in the heartland.
Old 10-27-2004, 07:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats woodline bucks! Thats the way to help out your team
Old 10-27-2004, 08:04 PM

Awesome job WB!! I can't wait to see the pics man...Sounds like a tank of a buck, can't wait to see him. That will put us over 200inches and in really good position with the rut coming up. Congrats again
Old 10-27-2004, 11:15 PM

Congrats WB !!!

Sounds as if he's a nice buck, can't wait to see the pics!!!
Old 10-28-2004, 01:00 PM
Fork Horn

Congrats on the buck Woodline!!! Can't wait to see the pics.
Old 10-29-2004, 07:14 AM
Typical Buck

Allright Woodline! Congrats,,, looking forward to the pics...

Quick Reply: Official Team "Braggin Bucks" (23) Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.