Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > The Archives > The Archives > Deer Hunting Contest 2004 (Bow)
 Official Team "Arrow Slingers" (22) Thread >

Official Team "Arrow Slingers" (22) Thread

Deer Hunting Contest 2004 (Bow) All posts regarding the 2004 Deer Hunting Contest go into this Forum.

Official Team "Arrow Slingers" (22) Thread

Old 11-03-2004, 09:53 PM

Default RE: Official Team "Arrow Slingers" (22) Thread

I am here too...been busy working and taking care of things since my wife had surgery.

I will be trying to get in some more hunting......wish me luck!
Old 11-03-2004, 10:06 PM
Typical Buck

Good luck to you Pork Chop and I hope your wife is doing well.
Old 11-07-2004, 06:40 PM

Good luck to ya pork chop on the home front and in the woods
Old 11-08-2004, 08:40 AM

Well I finally went to hunt my honey hole this sunday. There are 3 stands there on about 300 acres, and my buddy, my dad and I were there to hunt them for the first time this year. The stands are all in great spots and we haven't even stepped foot on the property since last Janurary (been waiting for the rut to start up). I knew someone was gonna get a shot at a big one. At sunrise I had a spike and a fork come by trailing a couple does. Then around 8:30 I heard my buddy on the radio and he said that he had shot a nice buck at 7:30. He said it went down 50 yards from him but when he got down to get it the buck got up and ran off. I imediately thought great here we go. Anyways I told him to wait an hour, back out slowly and then we would meet and come up with a plan. To make a long story short, We tracked it 5 hours later and bumped it again out of its bed about 1 mile from where he shot it. I knew it was a dead deer (could tell from arrow & pieces of corn in the blood clots it was gut shot) and it was only a matter of time before it expired. I told him to pick up the trail in the morning. He found it this morning about 200 yards from where we bumped it. It had died on the run and was shot kinda low through 1 lung, liver, and out the guts. 200+ lb. 8pt, I will put the tape to it tonight but when we bumped it it looked like a 130 inch deer to me.

So, I am sorry to say that the day didn't turn out how I wanted it too. I really thought I would have some points for the them today but I ended up tracking blood for my buddy all day. However I am really glad he got one. I've got fri, sat, and sun this weekend to hunt so maybe my luck will change and I will get a shot at one of the big ones. I can't tell you how many little bucks I have passed up in the last couple of weeks waiting for one of the bruisers to come within 30 yards. i don't know what it is but the little bucks have been walking closer then ever by my stands, 2-10 yards from it, but the big ones keep skirting around be about 60-70 yards out with no pattern to how they come through.

good luck to everyone!

hgauge
Old 11-08-2004, 04:07 PM
Fork Horn

Well I was only 20-30 yards away from closing the deal on a monster this past Saturday. Conservatively he was all of 150. He was only bedded 60 yards away in a nasty tangle of crap. I was on the edge of where a big open hardwoods meets the thick cover. I heard him stand up at 4pm and about a minute later I hear him let out a deep grunt. Well he did not want to come out of the thick crap. I grunted at him a few times and he just paced back and forth thrashing trees. I got a good look at him when he stepped into the only clear alley I could see into the thick stuff. He just never got closer then 50 yards. Every time I grunted he would get ticked off and start raising hell. This went on till shooting hours closed. I got down from my stand and he wouldn't move. I figured he just thought I was a buck making all that ruckus while packing up my gear and my stand. I started walking toward him since he was right in the direction I needed to go. I got to within 20 yards before he bolted. CRAP! I did shoot a doe while walking out of my stand on Friday. Deer were moving all day. SHot my doe at 11:45am. Bucks were on the move chasing does the whole time I was on stand. I HATE WORK!!!!
Old 11-09-2004, 10:40 PM
Typical Buck

Damn Browning....that BLOWS....lol At least you got to see him though. Maybe next weekend will find you with better luck. That goes without saying for hgauge as well. I hope SOMEBODY will come up with another one here, I still think we could come in with a couple good bucks. Team 8 is still leading, but there's as many there basically going more for the QUANTITY instead of QUALITY approach....lol But anyway, last Sat, I saw tremendous activity with bucks chasing doe, but makes no difference for me as I'm already out of the running.....lol I need to kill another doe for a buck tag anyway...lol

GOOD LUCK FELLAS!
Old 11-11-2004, 11:04 AM

I am getting close too. I had a really nice 12 point chase a doe bout 15 yards from my stand Friday afternoon. Only 1 problem, I had just gotten up the tree,and my bow was still on the ground.....RRRRRRRR....oh well, it is on here, bucks are chasing, and the weather is getting crappy. Colder all the time. Have a 3 day weekend this weekend, we'll see.

Question, our gun season opens here Saturday, but hunting with a bow is legal, and that is my intention. Should I shoot one, even tho it is rifle season, the kill will be with a bow, it will still count here, right?
Old 11-11-2004, 08:58 PM
Typical Buck

As long as it's killed with a bow, YES it's legal.....HOWEVER, MAKE SURE your bow is in the picture with you, and if your state uses tags, and the rifle and bow tags look different, make sure to get a close up of it on the deer after you tag it. A close up of the wound might not be a bad idea either to rule out any ?????'s
Old 11-12-2004, 09:35 AM

The rut here is just starting to pick up. So far I'm not having a good season, I'm not not seeing much movement anywhere I go. There was a 140 class 10-point buck spotted several times in the past week close to my stand. My buddy spotted him more than once on the way out of his stand. He was on an old logging road and walked 20yrds. from my friends 4-wheeler. He said he just couldnt shoot him from the road and brag about it, which is understandable. Hopefully I'll get a stab at him this weekend!!.
Old 11-12-2004, 09:40 AM

Looking at the score card, our teams other buck still hasn't been scored. Also, there are still a few members who are M.I.A. I have sent E-mails out but still have no response. I would like to see how much the other buck makes our score go up.

Quick Reply: Official Team "Arrow Slingers" (22) Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.