Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > The Archives > The Archives > Deer Hunting Contest 2004 (Bow)
 Official Team "Antler Addicts" (21) Thread >

Official Team "Antler Addicts" (21) Thread

Deer Hunting Contest 2004 (Bow) All posts regarding the 2004 Deer Hunting Contest go into this Forum.

Official Team "Antler Addicts" (21) Thread

Old 09-14-2004, 07:38 AM

Default RE: Official Team 21 Thread

Season opens here tomorrow but I dont know how much hunting Im going to get in. Looks like ol Ivan is going to rain out the whole weekend. I scouted one of my honey holes Sat. morning and found 3 fresh rubs and a fresh scrape. I hung my stand in a different location than Ive hunted the last couple of seasons. I saw alot of sign and a huge set of tracks. Im assuming and hoping it was the buck making the sign. I also jumped 2 does bedded down as I was leaving. The season is looking good and I have high hopes for this year. I have got the FEVER!!! I have got to get in the woods.

BTW, I also like this one better

Old 09-14-2004, 12:57 PM
Typical Buck

Hey guys I almost died last night while crop damage hunting! While dragging the doe out threw the apple orchard I walked into a web as thick as 10lb test! Franticly I whipped my head and neck clean and as I looked my body over and there it was! The biggest white nastiest meat eating spider I’ve ever seen, getting ready to take my leg off at the thigh! So I plucked it off and threw it (holding on for way to damn long!) why I didn’t just brush I don’t know so while doing that I let out this bellow that would’ve made the hair stand up on a coyotes neck a mile away! I then start striping down and doing a fancy new dance to make sure I’m free of the creeps. I’ve never been afraid of spiders but this freaked me out I wish someone was with me to share in the funny they would’ve witnessed! Yeah RighT!

So you guys really like that red huh? I think it looks like a sign you’d see above an adult book store! I’m down with whatever though so…. If you dig it I can dig it!
Old 09-14-2004, 04:57 PM

MM, I prefer the tan one but I can live with either providing someone can tell me how to get it to show up when I post something.

No spiders(atleast not big enough to be afraid of) or snakes or anything like that up where I'm at. Do you have spiders that you have to worry about in NY?

SCBowman, good luck if you go out tomorrow.

mahoningbuck, if anything I shoot too much. I've backed off on the number of shots per shooting session and am concentrating much more on the shots I'm taking. Broadheads are flying great, camo is washed and put away, and my opening morning spot is set for this Saturday if the wind cooperates.
Old 09-16-2004, 11:21 AM

HAd a good opening day. Hunted a whiteoak ridge and my partner hunted the bottoms at a creek crossing. We bumped deer going in so I thought it was over. At about 8:30 I see a deer coming. I get my bow and get ready. As it gets closer I can see that it a tiny little fawn. Now I mean this thing was little. I have no idea where the doe was, this thing was way too small to be by itself. Nothing happens again til around 10:15. I was thinking about getting down when I see a doe about 50 yards feeding. She rambles around and finally moves on.( so I thought) About 10 minutes later I see her bust off through the woods. I thought she must have saw or smelled me. Then her she comes back. Then I see why; there is a large bodied rag horn buck running her around. I have never seen this, this early in the year. We ll anyway he chases her around for 5 or 10 minutes and I decide I will take either of them if they present a shot. Well they both bust through my shooting lane and move on. That afternoon I went to a stand on the edge of a cutover. About 6:30 here comes a large doe and 2 yearlings. She must have smelled where I came in (It was HOT!) and she starting acting real skittish. She was head bobbing and stomping but she never pegged me. She came by at about 15 yards but I decided to pass since she had the little ones plus I know there is a nice buck in the area. Overall I had a great opener. And on another good note, my father-in-law told me last night, a really good buck is working the woods behind his house, which I am the only one with rights to hunt! Ill be back at it as soon as Ivan allows me too. Good luck Team 21!

Old 09-16-2004, 05:55 PM
Typical Buck

damn this thing! I'll be back in a sec![:-]
Old 09-16-2004, 06:14 PM
Typical Buck

Bowman I hope you get an arrow in that big boy your Father-in-law has been seeing!

Ozark-en, do you know of any Lodge/cabins/outhouse/doghouse/motels in and around the corners Adair, Sullivan, and Putnam Co’s that you could recommend to four NY boys on a do-it-yourself hunt? I’m getting the run-around from this bird up there who seams to have forgotten he’s “not trying to get rich off of out-of-state hunters” and now his prices are higher than I quoted him at just a month ago.[:@] Anyway I was doing so well putting this hunt together for my father, friends, and I and now I’m in a snag. So if you can let me know what you know about hunter approved lodging up there is I’d appreciate it.
Old 09-17-2004, 04:45 PM

I'm leaving shortly for a week up north. Opening day is tomorrow. I'm combining a vacation with the wife and bow hunting. While I probably won't hunt as much as I would like, I should be able to hunt alot more than I would have been able to had we taken our vacation in July. Typically up where I hunt the early season is tough but I know I won't shoot a deer if I'm not in the woods and it's going to be great just to get out and hunt again. Plus, you just never know.

Best of luck to anyone hunting in the next week. I'll report in when I get back.
Old 09-17-2004, 11:03 PM

Have a safe trip Stony.
I went out today to try to fill one of our nuisance permits. It was the first time since last season that I was able to spend some considerable time in a tree. We have enough deer to obviously warrant a nuisance permit so it's pretty common to see many deer on a daily basis. However, I spent 4 hours in a tree this afternoon/evening and didn't see a single one. I did have a flock of turkeys walk right under my tree though. One of them couldn't have been more than 2' away from the tree. At least I had something to keep me entertained. And even though I didn't see a deer it sure felt good to be back at it.
Old 09-19-2004, 08:06 AM

Hey guys I just got back from a good trip in central MO. We had a good time one guy got a nice buck (130) class I did not get to draw on any horns but did get a doe for the freezer.

Mantis I would just go to a small town in the area that you are going to hunt. The little motels cater to hunters, they are real friendly and have plenty rooms this time of year. We camp a lot and most of the small mom and pop motels let us take a shower for about 4 dollars a person w/out getting a room let me know where you are going to hunt I may have some insight to the area.
ozark-en
Old 09-21-2004, 12:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hey fellas need alittle help with this place that just dropped in my lap a couple of days ago. I have been out there and things look pretty good!http://terraserver.microsoft.com/ima...11338&z=17&w=1

The area that I can hunt is between the upper right hand corner with the two house. Left and back of the houses. There is a clear cut between the two and is defined well enough like a box. I can hunt back to open feild which is either corn or soy. The woods that I can hunt goes down to the third house on the bottom back to in line with the edge of the field. I can hunt that small plot of woods just below the open corn/soy field. That is defined by the logging road. That is about it. The guy that owns the property hunts only thirty yards off of the clear cut between the two houses and has does there every night. Close to the rut is when he sees the bucks. The pressure is light he rarely hears shots during gun season so I hope that his prediction is good with the pressure. I will be there for bow season but I want some idea what you guys might think would be a good area. I know that these things are hard but a good starting point might be nice. Oh in wood plot behind the clear cut there are several draining ditches that hold water when it is wet but not free flowing. Let me know. Rob

Quick Reply: Official Team "Antler Addicts" (21) Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.