Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > The Archives > The Archives > Deer Hunting Contest 2004 (Bow)
 Official Team "Antler Addicts" (21) Thread >

Official Team "Antler Addicts" (21) Thread

Deer Hunting Contest 2004 (Bow) All posts regarding the 2004 Deer Hunting Contest go into this Forum.

Official Team "Antler Addicts" (21) Thread

Old 09-13-2004, 08:09 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Official Team 21 Thread

Or this?

Old 09-13-2004, 11:14 AM

MM-if we're voting I like that version. I was up north this weekend. Even the locals aren't seeing much for bucks lately. No reason for them to be out in the cuts or along the roads during daylight as there are very few bugs right now so they don't move much. That will change. When they switch to more browse and the leaves start falling, they will be more visable. I almost hit a cow moose with my 4-wheeler-that might have hurt. That was way too close. It was just getting dark and she came up out of a ditch with water and then stood there. I saw 8-9 deer this weekend though none were bucks. None of them have their summer coats anymore. Only five more days for me.

Do any of you guys have that 3-d ASAT suit? If so, does it get more quiet after it is washed and used a few times? I shot with mine on this weekend and it does seem a little loud.
Old 09-13-2004, 12:14 PM
Typical Buck

I don't have the ASAT suit but was planning on ordering soon! Are you talking about the string hitting the arm? I've read somewhere on here that some just cut the hanging material from the inside of the bow arm off.
Old 09-13-2004, 12:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Fellas, I was out this weekend looking at an area that I hunt and it has perplexed me over the past four years that I have hunted it! Here is the deal, it is open hardwoods with ancorns all over the place. It has been logged in several areas that have become over grown bedding areas. A fool could figure that much out! The problem lies in the fact that these deer dont get pressured at all. There are no clear cut trails where you can pinpoint there movements. From all the scouting that I do and watching the deer over this time it seems that they just mosey where ever they want feeding indiscriminatly. There is a field areas where they will enter but they have their pick as to what to eat and where to drink. Have any of you ever hunted an area where the deer just walk free reign? I took my buddy out there to help me scout and he said he would not bowhunt there but he would like to gun hunt. I laughed because I know what is in there and he just made it sound like a bad area. Trust me there are monsters. The other problem there are alot of does. I took one out of there last year along with the guy that owns the property. I can take a doe every time I go in that area. It is so hard to pattern the bucks. It is one of those places that you have to be in the right time at the right place. During the rut is the only time that you can get these bucks to move. They are so comfortable. Any suggestions? I have used some techniques let me know what you think! Thanks Rob
Old 09-13-2004, 01:23 PM

Stony, that moose/ATV collision would definitely hurt a bit. Be careful out there. The worst part is the paramedics would just cut that ASAT 3-D suit right off. There goes $130. I don't have an ASAT suit yet but was planning to ask Santa for one this Christmas. Keep us posted & let us know how you like it once you get it broken in a little more.

Mahoning,
If deer are bedding in those areas then they've got to be getting in & out somehow. Just don't get so close that you'll spook them getting to/from your stand and be real careful about the wind. You should find the tightest groups of trails near their bedding area. They may wander throughout the woodlot in several different directions after leaving there, but they should all start relatively near that one point. Any obvious fence crossings? Any little draws, drainages, creeks, etc. that they may use as travel corridors?

Hunting the sod farm is pretty similar in that the deer pretty much cross wherever & whenever they feel like it. But we do have some wooded fingers that extend from the neighbors property. His property is all wooded & is where most of these deer bed (no hunting allowed). But each of our wooded fingers contain a little draw or deep ditch & the deer typically walk right up that ditch line until they're no longer hidden and then they'll make their way to who knows where. But no matter where they come from or are going to, most all of them will use one of those small funnels during the process. The trick is setting up in the right one on the right day.
Old 09-13-2004, 01:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

There are some areas where they do come out and I know where they are but I am used to seeing trails where you would think that cows move through. In the morning they do follow a drain ditch and I have thought about moving over there and I have set my trail camera up to see what is moving through there. I will keep you posted. When I say that is hard to see where they move I mean it is difficult. I have been hunting for a long time and watched hundreds of shows and this place is an enigma. I will keep you posted!
Old 09-13-2004, 03:15 PM

MM, I did cut the loose stuff on the inside of my right arm(left handed) after about two shots but the material seems a little loud. Like moving to pull back the bow. Maybe it was just me but I'll wash it a third time before the weekend and see if that helps.

Jeepnut, I'll let you know after I try it a few times. I've heard a lot of good things about it but I'll see how it works in the spruce trees where I hunt.
Old 09-13-2004, 07:10 PM
Spike

Hey fellas, mdrdirt checking in...looks like i may actually get to South Carolina this weekend to hunt our property, of course i'm guessing that hurricane Ivan is going to stay
west of us. Sounds like everyone's getting into the swing. MahoningBuck sounds like you have a real puzzle on your hands.Have similar problem on the property i hunt in S.C. The entire west end of our property is bordered by a swamp. We know the big boys are in there and don't come out until the rut. I'm actually debating taking a kayak with me and coming at them from the water side as the land side is all but impossible to penetrate.Anyway, just checking in...what's everyone's opinion on the logo?

Old 09-13-2004, 07:17 PM
Spike

I think i like this one better... I'm sure we can fix your name MM on this one...IMO

Old 09-13-2004, 09:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Changing rest, looks like whisker biscuit. It always seems that when the new year starts there always seems to be some problems. Tired of this three years in a row. Never fails but it is better to get these problems out of the way before I get out in the field and encounter a multitude of problems. We all know the guys who dont practice and their equipment always failing but rest assure not this guy! I have the itch!

Quick Reply: Official Team "Antler Addicts" (21) Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.