Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > The Archives > The Archives > Deer Hunting Contest 2004 (Bow)
 I wonder how this contest will affect how we all hunt? >

I wonder how this contest will affect how we all hunt?

Deer Hunting Contest 2004 (Bow) All posts regarding the 2004 Deer Hunting Contest go into this Forum.

I wonder how this contest will affect how we all hunt?

Old 08-26-2004, 11:26 AM

Default I wonder how this contest will affect how we all hunt?

I wonder how this contest will affect how we all hunt? Will some us get skunked as we pass on several 'average' bucks waiting on that brute that will take our team over the top, or will that rather young and small six point still be too tempting after a long wet day of sitting in a tree? When the deer start walking past the tree stand will we even remember the contest?

I can't wait to see how this plays out. It's gonna be fun.
Old 08-26-2004, 11:48 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: I wonder how this contest will affect how we all hunt?

I would hope that since this is all in fun, it would not affect a person's decision making about a buck they are going to shoot. Hunt for yourself, shoot what makes you happy and the team scores will fall where they may.
Old 08-26-2004, 11:53 AM

That's what I'm hoping too.
Old 08-26-2004, 12:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

yea the way im thinking , if someone sees a deer they are happy with , they will still take it , i know personally that if a deer comes by that is injured and a good management animal , im gonna down him ..... i still have 9 other guys that i can count on .... but also for some , deer they r happy taking might be that buck that you pass up 3 120 class bucks to get a shot at....

The trophy is in the eyes of the beholder i always say!
Old 08-26-2004, 12:24 PM

Not everyone is going to bag 150 class bucks, someones little 80 inch 6 point may put their team over the top. I think everyone on the team getting a buck will be more important than everyone trying for a big one.
Old 08-26-2004, 12:34 PM

ORIGINAL: Lefty26

Not everyone is going to bag 150 class bucks, someones little 80 inch 6 point may put their team over the top. I think everyone on the team getting a buck will be more important than everyone trying for a big one.
I agree Lefty, which is why I'm not too worried about that much hyped team 4, the ilky pilkys, or whatever . A couple of them may get 130 point bucks, but three guys with 90's will negate them.
Old 08-26-2004, 01:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

This contest doesn't effect my way of hunting in the least way. I am the one who puts the most pressure on myself and since I am STRICTLY after a trophy there is a possibibity that I may be eating tag soup like I did a couple years ago and its not that I didn't see any shooters but I set my expectations too high because I live here in the kootenai national forest and see deer/bucks here almost everyday from my window, so its kinda like being in a treestand year round so that is why I am kinda peticular on what I will shoot. The best time for me to hunt a big boy is the last week in Nov during the rut which just so happens to be the last week of hunting season, so there is a possibility I may not fill my tag or drop my standards the last few days. September my time is spent chasing wapitis which just happens to be the rut for them. But to answer your question, no it doesn't have any effect on me, Good luck to all of you, Bobby
Old 08-26-2004, 02:31 PM
Boone & Crockett

Regardless if this contests affects someone's personal way of hunting while in the tree, I'm sure it is for the better. Perhaps someone might pass on an otherwise shooter buck for himself and end up with a bigger buck....or perhaps someone who usually would be happy with a 4 pt...ups his standards and gets skunked. It doesn't make anyone who doesn't get a buck, not worthy....like I've posted already, I haven't shot a buck the last two years passing more than a dozen each of those years...I'm not a bad hunter because I didn't get a buck......I'm an exceptional hunter because I could have but chose not to because I didn't settle.

The only downfall this contest might have is for someone to try too hard and cause him/her take a buck they never would have before....we must still remember to have fun and hunt under your own standards......it will be interesting how it pans out.
Old 08-26-2004, 02:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

As someone said in another post earlier"10 guys shooting 10 average bucks will outscore 2 guys shooting monsters"
Its a contest ,no money involved and just to have fun,talk a little trash talk,do some ribbing and brag how good your team is.
Oh by the way,no point in getting all worked up about the contest,because ultimately everyone knows who the winners will be anyways
Just go out and have fun,hunt as you would every other year,and please remember,ITS ONLY A GAME
Old 08-26-2004, 03:44 PM
Fork Horn

HA HAAA well said extreme1...

go ILNYPAKY-EH!

Quick Reply: I wonder how this contest will affect how we all hunt?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.