Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > The Archives > The Archives > Deer Hunting Contest 2004 (Bow)
 Official Team "Backstrap Boys" (2) Thread >

Official Team "Backstrap Boys" (2) Thread

Deer Hunting Contest 2004 (Bow) All posts regarding the 2004 Deer Hunting Contest go into this Forum.

Official Team "Backstrap Boys" (2) Thread

Old 11-16-2004, 01:19 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Official Team "Backstrap Boys" (2) Thread

congratulations on a great buck!
Old 11-17-2004, 09:43 PM
Fork Horn

SWIBH if you weren't on my team I'd call you a lyin' sumbich!!! That's got to be the all time classic Ripley's Believe It or Not whitetail campfire story I've ever heard. I could believe it on a dumb moose but it's awesome to hear someone doing it with a mature whitetail. Congrats on a great deer and we're finally off the shnide.
Old 11-18-2004, 08:09 AM

Thanks guys for all the comments. I am still watching for that second buck to go on the board for us. There is alot of time left and just one moved us up to the middle of the pack. Good Luck!!!
Old 11-18-2004, 05:06 PM
Giant Nontypical

Great buck SW. My season isn't going real well.
I hope to put something on the board before it's over with.
Old 11-22-2004, 07:54 AM

Well how is everyone doing? I finally get to go back out bowhunting now that gun season is done here. I can't wait.
Old 11-22-2004, 10:00 AM
Fork Horn

The forecast for where I hunt this weekend is for snow!!!!!!

Have been shafted by rain, wind and a 2-week gun season...so nothing for me so far. I have a good feeling about this weekend.

Also, one of the places that I have permission to hunt (600 acres - my friends property) has QDM rules....nothing under 8 points. That should work out really well for the years to come. Two 11 pointers have been harvested in this area in the past month. My buddy got one of 'em and it dressed at 240 lbs.

As the season wears on the does will look even tastier...I hope I don't have to, but....would you guys understand? My freezer is void of venison, so I must get one.
Old 11-25-2004, 07:42 PM
Fork Horn

SWIH I believe you can't enter two bucks in this contest. I think it's your first bowkill that only counts.

Stealthyone your doe doesn't count and you can still participate in the contest. Lots of guys have already shot does and are still in the contest. A 240 pound whitetail is gigantic field dressed!! I bet that thing looked like a hot water tank coming through the woods on the hoof.
Old 11-25-2004, 08:01 PM
Fork Horn

Our gun season in Oklahoma started last Saturday and I took a gorgeous 8 point dark chocolate colored buck on Sunday. I was looking for a 150 class 10 point we had on camera but when this chocolate buck appeared I couldn't resist since I'd always wanted one. This area is short grass sand hill country with no trees or brush. It's actually awesome quail country but there's usually a good deer or two using it in the mornings. There's no way to bow hunt it but it's relatively easy rifle hunting. I was hunting a railroad right of way on private land and the railroad had paid my landowner to dump hundreds of ties on my side of the fence in neat rows with grass growing between each tie. Well my buck came from behind me and noticed 3 does about 250 yards away past the railroad ties and he headed right into the middle of the ties and had to prance through them! He never would stop as he was a horn dog in love even with my whistles. But he had to zig zag and prance high so he wasn't going all that fast and finally paused long enough at a slight angle to let me take him. It's a weird location to shoot a buck but no one was hunting the spot and several good deer seem to use the area and I got lucky the does lured him out of hiding.

Well I looked down in the box blind and gathered my stuff and was putting it all back in my daypack when I happened to look out the window and caught some movement and thought the buck was still alive. I scoped him at 140 yards and saw a coyote within 10 feet from my buck! There must have been a den somewhere in the railroad ties and since my buck did a short sprint after I shot I guess the coyote saw him go down. I probably jerked the trigger because I made a clean miss and I saw the coyote go over 3 separate sand hills for 500 yards. I think he's still running!!

I'm back hunting with a bow now for several days and nothing came in range although there's lots of chasing with great deer seen every day. This is going to be tough to climb back into the contest but that's archery hunting.

Here's his picture.
Old 11-26-2004, 07:43 AM

Congrats on the buck! Sounds like a nice deer. Any pics? BTW I wasn't talking about my second buck I meant someone else on the team.
Old 11-28-2004, 06:26 PM
Typical Buck

I took a nice buck Monday on NY states gun opener. Only a 4 point without brow tines but he dressed out at 170 lbs. He came right in to them deer scents sticks. I'm gonna try them again when I get back out with the bow

Went out with my bow Sat afternoon before I left for deer camp. I was sitting in my ground blind & looked up to see a 6 pointer lookin my way from 10 yards away. I grabbed my bow & looked back out & he was gone. Then he popped back up again, turns out he was behind a piece of ledge & I could only see his head when he looked up & a few inches of his back. So I waited for him to take a few steps & it was taking a long time. I turned on my cell phone to check the time & in my frenzied state failed to turn it off. Well he took a step & was almost there, just one more....... & the damn phone rang! He didnt freak like I thought. I turned it off as fast as I could & when I looked back he was just walking away. Went about 30 yards & started feeding again so I dont think he really spooked. It was another 30 minutes till I lost sight of him. Turned out it was my wife on the phone asking if I was gonna be home for dinner. Told her she just chased dinner away so she may as well fix something.

Good luck guys, I'm still tryin!

Quick Reply: Official Team "Backstrap Boys" (2) Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.