Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > The Archives > The Archives > Deer Hunting Contest 2004 (Bow)
 Official Team "Backstrap Boys" (2) Thread >

Official Team "Backstrap Boys" (2) Thread

Community
Deer Hunting Contest 2004 (Bow) All posts regarding the 2004 Deer Hunting Contest go into this Forum.

Official Team "Backstrap Boys" (2) Thread

Old 10-07-2004, 02:26 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Official Team "Backstrap Boys" (2) Thread

Was on stand and a buck came out in front of my buddy just after legal shooting time. It followed 2 does that walked right past his stand, up the ridge. It stopped on the main trail and walked back and forth in front of him at about 15-20 yards. He said it was absolutely massive! It snorted, grunted, wheezed and stomped its feet. Here's the rub: When it really started making a racket (at dark), something came crashing through some thick nasty swamp past me toward the other big buck.....
I think he may be a shooter. I heard rumour of a 160++++ buck in the area. I will keep you guys posted.
Old 10-07-2004, 09:08 PM
Typical Buck

Still havent seen any bucks but I took a nice doe today. Theres alot of sign tho & with all the does around I think in a few weeks things will start happening.
Old 10-09-2004, 09:09 AM
Giant Nontypical

Congrats leverdude. Meat in the freezer is very nice.

I let 2 bucks go the other night, both good shooters, but 45yds out.
My bow will hit dead on at 45yds, but I didn't want to chance it.
Hopefully will see them again tonight.
Old 10-13-2004, 08:44 AM

Went out last night again. Sat in our fence line stand but had no results. Still alot of corn in, but the weather is starting to come around. Should get good pretty soon.
Old 10-14-2004, 09:24 AM

I went out hunting last night. I saw a ton of does and fawns and some little bucks. Then right at dark a 150+ came within 40 yards of me. He was walking right down the perfect path and then at the last second turned and went away. He must have sensed something. I am going out again Sat. Hopefully I will get a chance at him.
Old 10-19-2004, 07:56 AM
Fork Horn

Guys, I haven't been hunting yet and I've been on several business trips. My time will be in Nov/Dec. However I've read the last few posts to catch up while I've been gone and I'd highly suggest taking the grunt call on all hunts. Big shooters just out of range only need to take a few more steps and don't necessarily have to make it all the way in.
Old 10-19-2004, 09:03 AM

Well I am going out tonight. The weather is perfect and should see alot of deer. Hopefully I will get a crack at the big one I saw the other night. I will keep you posted.
Old 10-19-2004, 06:42 PM
Typical Buck

Got another doe last night. Still havent seen any bucks but theres some rubs & scrapes in the area I turned up, so theyre there somewhere. Thought I smelt a doe in heat this afternoon. Is it too early? I guess I mighta smelled someones scent wick or something but I doubt it, I'm the only hunter on this property & to my knowledge the neighbors dont have anyone on their land. Might be an early start.
Old 10-20-2004, 07:17 AM

Well I went out last night, saw a ton of deer, mostly little bucks and does. They were very skittish last night. The last two times I have been out there there have been deer "blowing the whistle", snorting whatever, all around me. But they don't run after. They just take there time and go out into the field and eat. It's the weirdest thing. It's like they are saying we know something is up but we will take our chances. And they all keep coming back and using the same trails and I still keep seeing the big one. It doesn't seem to affect any of them. Maybe its because they are used to people with the farmers or something. I just don't get it. But I also don't think they are busting me because alot of the snorting is done while the wind is blowning my scent away from the deer. Its just kind of weird.
Old 10-26-2004, 09:31 AM

Been going out a couple of times a week so far. Corn is almost all out and bucks are starting to rub good. Moon change this coming week should help alot. Think it is about time to pick up the pace with the hunting. Good Luck

Quick Reply: Official Team "Backstrap Boys" (2) Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.