Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > The Archives > The Archives > Deer Hunting Contest 2004 (Bow)
 Official Team "Wall Hangers" (18) Thread >

Official Team "Wall Hangers" (18) Thread

Community
Deer Hunting Contest 2004 (Bow) All posts regarding the 2004 Deer Hunting Contest go into this Forum.

Official Team "Wall Hangers" (18) Thread

Old 10-17-2004, 07:04 PM

Default RE: Official Team "Wall Hangers" (18) Thread

OK guys, here's the skinny on my "new spot".

Did some scouting today, and things do look GOOD. The whole area I'm hunting is Swarming with trails, and bedding areas are too numerous to count. In just fifteen minutes I found two trees for my climber that puts me within < than 20yds of a little crossroads type spot, that looks very promising. Dumped about 20lbs of corn scattered all around and made mental notes of the directions to my stand. Gotta go there for the first time in the dark tomorrow morning. Hopefully I'll pop the "especially big one" that the landowner told me about.

On another note, looks like the rut might be trying to come in a little early here in my area. Watched a tape my BIL made over the last 3 days of bucks chasing does, and bucks fighting. Scrapes and rubs are all over the place. Good luck to the rest of you guys on team Wall Hangers, and the rest of ya'..........Get busted.
Old 10-30-2004, 04:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

How's everybody doing out there thus far? The 40mph winds are keeping me out of the treestands this evening but I'm just getting ready to enjoy a couple of weeks worth of serious bowhunting now. The weather has finally cooled down a bit.... thank God! It was 80 degrees yesterday! Now with the weather getting back to "normal" I'm expecting the very best hunting to be over the next couple weeks. I'm excited about it and I will certainly be doing my best to put Team Wall hangers on the board! We need some horn! I've seen a fair amount of deer and have had 9 different bucks thus far pass within easy shooting range. Had a "nice" 115" 8 pointer walk to within inches of the base of my tree the other day after he came in a little before 4:00 to check out the doe bleats he had heard. Best buck thus far was a 120" p ointer but I honestly feel that I can do better this early in the season..... we'll see?? Good luck to all of ya! Come on Team Wall hangers!
Old 10-30-2004, 10:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ive really had a rough start this season, but its starting to pick up. Friday we dragged out a doe and today we dragged out a big big 10 pointer......unfortunatly it wasn't mine. I did pass up to differant 6 pointers this past week.

This next week is critical, the bucks are really moving now. I hope I can put one on the board soon. Keep at it guys, nows the time!!!!

Good Luck! ......to team 18.....Ha Ha!
Old 11-01-2004, 08:13 AM
Boone & Crockett

Well I work today and tomorrow then I'm off the remainer of this week and all of next week to hunt. This should include our "peak rut" here in PA....Let's hope. I was off Thur-Sat and didn't see an antlered deer. I did however almost get a shot on what would have been my 4th coyote in 3 years....he caught me drawing and bolted.[&:] Good luck guys.
Old 11-01-2004, 01:39 PM

Heading out again this evening fella's...wish me luck. So far, I've really needed it. Can get 'em in, but not close enough for a bow.
Old 11-01-2004, 07:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Saw nothing Sunday morn, but Monday night I hunted a food plot stand with my decoy which produced the wild week last year(if you all remember). Needless to say I like hunting with decoys. I had a small 8 pointer with a doe enter the other end of the foodplot and the doe alittle reluctant but the buck sure wasn't........he came marching head low right to the decoy and sniffed the scent near the tail. He looked at the deer for 10 to 15 seconds and proceded to mount my decoy. I quickly got out the video cam and got this buck mounting my decoy 3 times before he knocked it over. It was cool, and all at 15 yards!

Anyway.....I'm trying to get a big boy....and nows the time!

Go get'em!
Old 11-04-2004, 09:49 AM
Boone & Crockett

Last night I proved my theory on night time rutting activity or at least buck activity. I was in the tree by 3:00 and about 5:15 I saw 3 doe at the other end of the CRP field then 2 came busting out of the woods under me..both yearlings then grunting...I got excited to say the least...okay deer coming....no antlers but grunting....damn momma doe trailing behind grunting all the way...I thought about putting it to her but thought, no wait and see if something is following...nothing. The doe at the other end came down the field. I had some Kirschner's Curiosity out and they winded it...came right in and at 10 yards I had two long nosed mature does...took everything I had not to shoot them....still waiting. They kept me locked in my tree til well after dark and just when I thought they walked off I heard.....and said no not now....sure enough a buck grunt, low and deep..then heard him walking...squinted to see into the field and sure enough with the recent full moon just waning away his coat shined...he walked right in to 10 yards and stood there grunting. I could make out a good set of antlers but didn't know how good. I had enough moon light to shoot but didn't even consider it. I waited til he walked off and I got down, snuck out and was back out this morning.

All I saw this am was a spike I called into 5 yards. It was entertaining at the same time, depressing......as far as I can tell, my deer are still prerut even this close to "peak time"....no chasing found but bucks are starting to wonder.....I hope. I'm off right through next week so......"LUCK"
Old 11-06-2004, 10:12 AM
Boone & Crockett

The only thing I have to report since my last post is, I called in a spike to 5 yards....it was nice having him there but he'll need 3 years not to mention he's not legal...lol and this morning I passed on a six point I called in from 150 yards to within 10...it is amazing how calls will work. He was walking parrellel to me at 150 yards, a couple grunts had his attention and he turned to come...a couple contact calls when he hung up in the hedgerow had in at the base of the tree........I have the rest of the week and he was just too small.....I hope I don't regret it.
Old 11-08-2004, 04:29 PM
Boone & Crockett

Okay guys, I have one down for the team. I haven't recovered him yet but I did put find him and put my hands on him. He isn't going to score that high. He would have...he's about a 125-130 class but his right main beam is broken behind his brow point which is about 12 inches long...I guessed him at 3.5 yrs old on the hoof and decided to cull him thinking his right side was lacking but when I recovered him, it was broke where I couldn't see it from the tree with binos......his left should score well but his right being broken will only gross his long brow a H1 circum and a H2 circum measurement.....a good buck none the less.
Old 11-08-2004, 04:34 PM
Dominant Buck

Congrads Rob. It's a shame he has a broken rack. Oh well looking forward to seeing some pics.

Quick Reply: Official Team "Wall Hangers" (18) Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.