Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > The Archives > The Archives > Deer Hunting Contest 2004 (Bow)
 Official Team "Wall Hangers" (18) Thread >

Official Team "Wall Hangers" (18) Thread

Community
Deer Hunting Contest 2004 (Bow) All posts regarding the 2004 Deer Hunting Contest go into this Forum.

Official Team "Wall Hangers" (18) Thread

Old 11-12-2004, 05:06 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Official Team "Wall Hangers" (18) Thread

Definately a skull mount will do the trick...ya think?
Old 11-12-2004, 05:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yes sir, that skull is gonna look awesome! I want to see a pic of that when it's done?
Old 11-14-2004, 08:41 AM

Matt/Pa, congrats on the buck. Is he a local??
Old 11-14-2004, 10:29 AM
Giant Nontypical

Thanks Jerry.......
He's not local. I just got back from my hunting trip in Illinois and that's where he came from.
Sad part is that I almost shot an easy 150"+ 10pt. the first morning chasing a doe. The doe got my wind and spooked, but he had no clue.....he trotted in her direction, stopped at about 17 yards dead broadside but with too many limbs in the way. I didn't want to take a chance on wounding him and figured he's gotta take another step or 2. So I held full draw in front of him and the doe finally decided to leave, he took off in one motion after her...... If if if .
Then later that night I passed up an honest 115-120" 8pt at 20 yards broadside....nice mass and very clean. I figured it was "Game on" for big bucks. Boy do I regret not shooting him.[&o]
The weather went to crap and I didn't SEE another buck until the second to last night, then the last half hour of the last day that guy responded to my grunt tube and I reeled him right in. 20 yard double lung and he only went 25 yards and piled up.
The only deer I saw the last night and with no time left to hunt PA I got some much needed meat in the freezer and a little to ad to our team score.

I also shot a nice coyote on the trip, those of you who know me know I've always wanted a coyote with the bow.....to me they're a trophy and I was maybe even more tickled with the Yote'. It's at the taxidermist know getting a pedestal shoulder mount over a rock and oak base.
Here's a pic of me and the coyote.....
Old 11-15-2004, 01:24 PM
Boone & Crockett

Great photo with the yote Matt.

We're falling more behind guys....LOL Team 20 and Team 8 are adding another deer which puts them in the upper 400's...lol we need 300 inches or more of antler from you remaining guys.....good luck.[&:]
Old 11-18-2004, 10:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'd really like every else to check in and give us a report on their hunting activity, have you been out, are you seeing anything.......just curious. We have 3 deer in the books and 7 guys left. Even small ones will help!

Tonight, Nov. 18 It was the first time out since the gun season ended. The good thing was I saw 2 bucks, both came inside of 20 yards. The bad news, one was a 30" forkhorn and the other a 35" 8 pointer. Anyway.....got some decent video!

Its prime time.....keep at it!

Good Luck!
Old 11-21-2004, 08:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Another report from Cloud 9.........sat morn nothing..........sunday morning I grunted at 7:05 am just getting light. 30 seconds later i heard a deer approaching. At 30 yards I see some long tines....I'm going to shoot......It gets to my shooting lane......my bow is drawn........I double check everything.........I have 4 nice shooting lanes on that trail, all at about 16 yards.......I let it pass the first shooting lane........and decide to take it in the second lane.......I put the pin just behind the shoulder and SHOOT......the buck takes off and I can hear it slowly walk away........I wait an hour and get down check things out.......I get to the spot the deer was standing and I see the last 6" of my arrow (fletchings) laying on the trail.......I see no hair or blood.......finally I see about 5 ft up on a 5/8" diameter sapling a big hack........crap! Somehow I shot before the deer got into my shooting lane...about 2 feet before! I'm not sure how I did it....in low light its hard to small branchs and I got bit! I found the other half of the arrow about 8 yards to the left at about a 45 degree angle to the shot......a big deflection and a big big miss!

I was really hoping to stick those points on the board! I'll keep at it!

Oh yeah......I'm not sure hoe big it was. Once I saw the long tines (maybe an 8 pointer) and knew the body was very large....so I didn't focus on anything but the area behind the shoulder.

Good Luck!
Old 11-21-2004, 09:15 PM
Boone & Crockett

Keep at it, we're bettin on ya.
Old 02-16-2005, 01:09 PM
Boone & Crockett

Good effort fellow Team Wall Hangers......we didn't pull it out this year but I anticipate seeing most if not all you in next years contest. I don't know how many of us will get to share a team again but it was great partnering with you all.....better luck next year.....