Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > The Archives > The Archives > Deer Hunting Contest 2004 (Bow)
 Official "Lung Busters" (5) Thread >

Official "Lung Busters" (5) Thread

Community
Deer Hunting Contest 2004 (Bow) All posts regarding the 2004 Deer Hunting Contest go into this Forum.

Official "Lung Busters" (5) Thread

Old 10-07-2004, 07:17 PM

Default RE: Official "Lung Busters" (5) Thread

I'll be honest; I won't shoot a buck unless it's going on the wall. That's always been my belief and will continue to be. I get more out of shooting a doe than a small buck anyday. I have my sights on some areas where some bigguns live but everything has to be right. Good post though Antler.
Old 10-07-2004, 08:14 PM
Fork Horn

With bucks, I am using the progression of antler points for my goal. With a bow, I only have one buck kill, but I have 5 doe kills in about 6 years of serious hunting. Here in Missouri, some counties have a restriction on bucks. Meaning, a buck has to have at least 4pts on one antler to be taken. I don't hunt in those counties, but I am holding out for at least an eight for a bow. From what I saw Monday(in an earlier post) I will have a chance at a good quality buck.
I also have set up some time off work to hunt more this fall. I shouldn't have a full work week until after firearms.(Nov 13)
Old 10-08-2004, 10:03 AM

I have wondered the same thing, Antler Eater, although I did originally support the idea that only 20-30% of all participants would tag a buck.

The reason I may be waffling, besides that fact that it's an election year and that seems like the appropriate thing to do , is that I am trying to figure what type of hunter uses this board, and why.

I don’t know if we’re all a bunch of lonely hunters that don’t have any real life friends to talk hunting with, or if we’re the more serious hunters (that also have time to surf the web) that are looking for every bit of information to help us become better hunters.

I guess I’m beginning to think that there are more of the later group here than there are of the former group. I’m kind of in both groups. The circles that I run in due to my profession as a designer tend to be more white collar and many of them feel they are ‘above’ hunting. Some flat out do not like hunting, but most just don’t care about it, so I come here to talk hunting. I also want to improve in every way possible as a hunter and am always looking for that little bit of advice that may make me just a little bit better in finding deer, and particularly bucks.

I have noticed that people on message boards are much more willing to share tips and tactics with ‘internet friends’ who won’t be hunting the same woods with them. Real life friends, at least in my experience, are a little more closed mouth about what they do to locate the big bucks and ultimately harvest them. Maybe that’s another reason for coming to these boards.

Anyway, back to your question. I think I agree with you that more than five of us on our team will post bucks on this board before it’s all said and done. I think that we are all better than ‘average’ hunters, or in my case, just have a nice location to hunt in that has a lot of bucks.

-Brad
Old 10-08-2004, 09:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Still waiting on opening day.......[&:]

Congrat's on the great buck antler eater.
Old 10-09-2004, 12:43 AM
TJF
Nontypical Buck

I think our team will do good when it's all done and said. This contest is for fun and in no way should change the way we hunt. The exception would be... most of us will hunt a little harder by making more time if possible.

I am in the same boat as ShadowAce. Everyone has their stages and desires. I am hunting for a wallhanger or at the very least a mature buck. Granted, I will give a 100% to fill my tag and score a buck for the team, but I want a challenge with bow since I enjoy bowhunting so much. That's me though. As long as you are happy with the buck you shoot, I could careless if it is a spike or monster. I will congrat you the same and be happy for you. If anything I would stress that you enjoy your hunting. By enjoying it, you will spend more time at it. Spending time at it will pay off. If not in arrowing a buck this year, you will gaining knowledge making it easier in arrowing one next year.

Antler Eater

I don't think you have the cheerleader thing down quite yet. I wasn't expecting you to make us ponder but was expecting...

RAH, RAH, RAH !!!
Go Team 5!!
Watch the other teams Dive!!
Double Lung, Double Lung
The buck is Hung
RAH, RAH, YYYYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEEE00000000000000WWWWWWW !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.
( painful agony of Antler Eater trying to do the splits )

Well looks like I need to keep on hunting. Not looking good for me being of cheerleader quality after rereading my cheer!! [&o]

Tim
Old 10-09-2004, 08:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Got my first set of pic's back from the trail cam at my primary spot. 65 events and a full 27 pic's. I knew I should have checked the film a few days after setting it up, but didn't. I did however get a nice pic of a 8 pt that will probaly run in the 100 inch area. Not to bad. Pretty, dark rack. I also got some pic's of some coons([:@]) and several does. I moved the cam to the my second location on the property to see what I can get on film. Hopefully I'll get the chance to post some pic's from my g/f's house, and more of the pic's from my main spot.

I also spotted a 120 class 9 or 10pt at my g/f's house. Very impressive deer, and I hope to get him on film before or durning season.
Old 10-10-2004, 10:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Bah haa haa, good cheer there TJF! If I ever even tried to do the splits I'm sure you could hear me screaming way up there in North Dakota. Both my hammy's have been torn too many times. I'm lucky now just to be able to staighten my legs. I really like your attitude. I am pulling for you to find and kill the buck you want, contest or not.

ShadowAce, I will keep my fingers crossed that you find a buck bigger than your best so far. [&:] I understand where you are coming from.

Wear, I am confident that somewhere in the "Show me state", a good buck will show himself to you in bow range. I am glad to hear you have some time set aside to accomplish your goal. Very smart of you, and great news for our team. Good luck my friend.

HighCountry_BrutForce, I know you are just chomping at the bit to get out there and do your thing. I hope you get that 120 class animal that is hanging around your girl friends house (I trust you were referring to a deer ). Goodness knows that 100 inch eight pointer doesn't sound bad either. I'm sure you will do well.

by23856, Don't worry about that waffling issue, like you said in an election year even IHOP can't keep up. I'm confident that if you can get some time, you will kill one of those nice Cornhusker bucks! As they say, "Just Do It!"

Twistedarrow, we know the potential of those Ohio bucks with all of the press they have generated since the Beatty buck. Good luck to you as you take down one of those "Buck(eye)s".

Pay Ely, We know what the deer numbers are in Pennsylvania and what those antler restrictions have done for the size of the bucks. Although you have already done us proud by killing the largest button buck I have ever heard of, I am confident you will bring some horns to the table. Good luck in your quest.

mammasboy, I have hunted in your great state, in fact my Mother was born there, it is an awesome place to live. When things heat up in the rut I know you will be smiling as you send a shaft through the lungs of one of one of those nice Wisconsin bucks. Good luck to you.

Huntndawg7mm, I lived in your great State for about 12 years. Lots of deer, albeit lots of hunters too. Most bucks don't live long enough to reach their full potential. Big deer are few and far between. Still, a branch antlered buck is well within your grasp. If you can get some time to hunt during the last part of October up to the start of gun season, you will do fine (like you don't already know this [&:]). I/we are pulling for you big time, good luck.

To all my bowhunting mates, I know you will do well. With the efforts you guys are putting in, and the great attitudes you have, we will surprise everybody (but ourselves) and win this friendly little competition amongst out hunting brethren.
Old 10-10-2004, 04:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Antler Eater is getting into this cheerleading now.

LOL. It's getting closer and closer to time to hunt. Just 6 days till opening day.

I hope everyone who is getting the opportunity to hunt the best of luck. I can't wait to see another buck on the score card for our team. Goodluck everyone.
Old 10-12-2004, 02:59 PM
Fork Horn

Rough day out yesterday. Had the wind blowing steady to hard most of the day. Only saw a coulpe of doe and about a dozen turkey.
Old 10-12-2004, 11:44 PM
TJF
Nontypical Buck

Working, working, working!!! [:@] 1 day off in 17 days and it is hurting my hunting time. LOL Only saw does for the most part on the day off but we did get to tease a young buck with the "can" . Tyler was with me and we were setup on the ground. Brought him in to about 40 yards which surprised me since he was with 8 does and fawns to start with. He was a 2.5 year old, so maybe not so surprising. One of the does walked right up to us, about 8 yards, but was quitting time. Wind was fairly strong and felt that had alot to do with not seeing much till almost dark when it finally died a little.

Talking cruddy weather for the weekend. Possible snow. That will put a damper on harvest. Should get some hunting time in then. Praying for not much wind. Bring on the cold though!! Bucks are harrassing the does some already. Seems a little early but that is good.

HighCountry

Goodluck on your opener if you get a chance to get out.

Pat

Congrats on your deer. Was going to congrat you a while ago and spaced it. Sorry about that.

Tim

Quick Reply: Official "Lung Busters" (5) Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.