Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > The Archives > The Archives > Deer Hunting Contest 2004 (Bow)
 Official TEAM "USA Hawg Hunters" (16) Thread >

Official TEAM "USA Hawg Hunters" (16) Thread

Community
Deer Hunting Contest 2004 (Bow) All posts regarding the 2004 Deer Hunting Contest go into this Forum.

Official TEAM "USA Hawg Hunters" (16) Thread

Old 11-02-2004, 03:40 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Official TEAM "USA Hawg Hunters" (16) Thread

mrfritz44
Congrats! on first blood for the team.
I'll be back in the saddle tomorrow... Our MD bow season ends 31 Jan; I assume the contest will continue to then, nothing (I saw) in the rules mentions an end date.
-fsh
Old 11-02-2004, 05:47 PM
Fork Horn

Default Crazy Hunt

Well...that was with out a doubt the craziest hunt I have ever been on....It started first on my long walk to the stand, When I get to the end of our property at the gate I look up the ridge and See a huge buck chasing 5 does all over the place...deer running every where...I'm thinking oh yeah baby..here we go...
So after sweating to death getting to my stand and being way noisier than I like hanging the stand when I got in as well as bumping a spike and doe on my way in..I finally settle in for the sit. And I'm thinking I'm loud and I stink...I am obviously the worst hunter in the world...well not quite that bad but I wasnt happy...then a doe picks me off at like 70yds thru the scrub...unbelievable....less than happy...she seems more than intrigued with me...stomping here and there staring and moving in for a closer look...she seems satisified and moves off with her 2 fawns....then Like 10 minutes later she shows up right in front of me staring me down...and moves off again...she repeats this like 5 times showing up in all different directions, I feel like I'm taking part in some wierd Thomas Crown Affair act. her and her 2 fawns finally head off for good. Then 4 does show up converging on the field edge from all different directions, I'm set up about 35yds inside the woods. They hang out browsing...and I'm thinking where is he...he has got to be coming....then in about 5mins he pops out of nowhere right in the middle of them checking them all for a hot doe...He's a big 8..I'm guessing 145...short brow tines stop him from being a giant...but he is big enough that my heart wants to jump out of my chest. They mill around for a bit...then he pushes one doe off and she crosses at 30yds right infront of me..damn he doesnt follow...he follows another one off out into the field and over the hill....I see him like 10 minutes later way out there on the edge...in 10 more minutes a doe comes blazing in right to me...I can here him grunting back in the woods behind her...she continues past me to my left...here he comes...broadside 20 yards...I draw and let her fly. He spins and takes off with some trouble...10 minutes later a 9ptr comes in chasing whats left of the doe group around...he comes to 10 yds down wind and we lock eyes....he decides its all good and goes about his business..unfortunately although he is outside the ears he tine length leaves something to be desired...I let him walk. Deer Continue to mill all around until dark when a doe decides to bed 10yds infront of me....I hop down and spook her out. I walk off the distance to the scene of the crime its 25yds. my arrow is laying on the groud right where he was standing not a drop of blood on it...the ferrul is bent, but the cut on contact tip shows no sign of impact...i'm guessing I missed him low...and hit a rock....I cant explain why the blade tip still looks like new though. Cant believe I missed...I guess if you hunt long enough it will happen...I am thankful he was not wounded at least...and am also very thankful for nights like this....what an exciting hunt.
Ill be back in the same spot dark and early wind permitting.
Old 11-02-2004, 06:26 PM

Congrats on the first blood for the Hawg Hunters. Going in the back yard for a hunt this weekend, 4th, 5th, 6th, and 7th. I haven't been able to get out much but when FORD closes down we close down as I haul their parts. I counted 26 road kills on I-35 between Kansas City and DesMoines on Sunday. Good Luck Fellas!!!
Old 11-08-2004, 07:11 PM

Just checking in guys, havent scored on anything yet, but I have until late Jan
so I'm in no hurry. If patience is a virtue then I am one holy man. Rut is kicking in here in KY so the next couple of weeks ought to be interesting. I always take my bow with me even during gun season just in case that special
one stops buy. There is a couple of deer I've got my eye on that would be awfully hard to pass up if I got a chance with a rifle but I promise to do my best. It stinks because we are only allowed 1 buck here. Good luck everyone.
Old 11-10-2004, 09:16 AM
Typical Buck

Fellas...I'm heading out tommorow morning for Southcentral Kansas for 4 days of prime time rut hunting. In 29 hours I'll be in a treestand patiently awaiting a Kansas hawg. Wish me luck and best of luck to you guys!!!
Old 11-12-2004, 07:48 PM
Typical Buck

An update on the past week's hunting. Had a v nice 8 ptr (~19" inside, good mass and tine length) come within 10 yds about 9 days ago, but he approached directly to my bleats/grunts and then spun instantly around and left the way he came after(?) he figured nothing was there to get excited about - no shot. I do think these older bucks can use ESP to detect predators or pounding hearts, yet another case of "why did he know to do that?" He stood off 60 yds, ignored any more grunts, and scent-marked a licking branch, so I don't think he alerted on odor. After that experience, I started putting out Ethel, the doe decoy, again. I have had 7 different bucks (no shooters) approach over time, only to be spurned by her - she is a tease. One spike broke off trailing a doe when he spotted Ethel, came in and just stood there staring yards away until a basket 8 ptr came along and convinced him to move on. The 8'er didn't get the right body language, and moved on too. At another spot, different day, a spike and 4 ptr came into rattling, and then waited 30+minutes <10yds away from Ethel until I spooked them away coming down my tree. The 4 ptr had come in with ears layed back and bristled hair. Interesting to watch the social behavior/interaction you might not otherwise get to see. So the funnels and corridors are working for me - the funnel I favor has a small stand of white and red oaks that is attracting the does, a double bonus. But I figure all I am getting there now is the lower class bucks who are still looking for love... the mature bucks are either getting it on, or(?) are traveling at night. The rain will break Fri night here in the East, but the winds are due to pick up - I'll endeavor to be in the stand most of Saturday, at the ready, especially between 10 am and 2 pm. I just got the fresh tarsal glands from a friend's doe to "sweeten" up Ethel for tomorrow.
Good luck all,
fsh
Old 11-13-2004, 06:49 AM
Fork Horn

Default Lots of Big Bucks

Got to the Farm Thursday Afternoon...Got on stand......a very nice 150 class deer came in chasing does....he stayed well above me on this very big hill side I was one....I lost him up in the thick stuff.....as soon as I looked away...here comes another one off the hillside I'm facing...only this one was Huge...He Dwarfed the 150 as they found each other and both began chasing does around....Mr. Big Made a complete Horse Shoe pattern around my stand....and one point he was actually at 30 yards as he was leaving but off coarse there was no lane in the spot.

Back in the same spot yesterday morning....at 7:45 a 140 or so comes from behind me with a doe...thier body language tells me they are hanging out and getting funky if you know What I mean....I think she is going to lead him into the bean field...but luckily she decides to hop to my side of the fence...30yds down the hill...he follows....everything goes to slow motion....he is a 3.5yr old...very musclar and cut...race hoarse style...I watch the arrow hit his rib cage...I hear a crunch....he is startled not knowing what happened....runs about 30 yds..and stands there blood hitting the ground like its coming from a fountain...he follows her for another 30 yds..but he is unable to continue...she leaves him...he beds down....I can see him raise his head every so often...He tries to get up twice but fails....the last time I see movement is 9:30.
At 11:30 I follow the blood trail to the bedding spot....huge blood trail...2 inch cut on my Gator XPs....but I get to where he bedded and he is gone....I track him for 300 yds...good blood the whole way..until I find my arrow...complete pass thru...finally fell out the other side.....but when the arrow falls out if allows the hole it left to close..no much more blood after that......and a unpick cornfield stands 100yds away.....unbelievable...I'll continue to look...he's dead but where.
Old 11-13-2004, 07:08 AM

Sounds like you're having a great season!!! What county in Illinois are you hunting in? That shouldn't give your hunting spot away... I'm just interested in what counties are producing the biggest bucks this year. Have a good one...
Old 11-15-2004, 06:25 PM

Hey guys, sounds like everyone is having a pretty good season so far. These bucks here in Minnesota just are'nt moving much if at all during the day, been seeing them mostly on my way to the woods in the mornings before light. But, I just got back from Wisconsin last night and had my best hunt yet. Eventhough I didn't get to shoot anything, I seen a ton of deer, mostly bucks. The 2 shooter bucks that I saw both times seemed to skirt around me every time. They were to pre-occupied with what direction there girlfriends were going. Got a new stand location picked out so next time I will hopefully got a shot this time. Good luck to all, later.
Old 11-17-2004, 10:42 AM
Typical Buck

Well boys....I got me a hawg!!! He has 16 scoreable points, double drop tines, and double main beams on his right side. He will go around 200 gross. I will get pics posted asap. How is everyone else doing? Good luck!!!

Quick Reply: Official TEAM "USA Hawg Hunters" (16) Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.