Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > The Archives > The Archives > Deer Hunting Contest 2004 (Bow)
 Official TEAM "USA Hawg Hunters" (16) Thread >

Official TEAM "USA Hawg Hunters" (16) Thread

Community
Deer Hunting Contest 2004 (Bow) All posts regarding the 2004 Deer Hunting Contest go into this Forum.

Official TEAM "USA Hawg Hunters" (16) Thread

Old 10-05-2004, 12:36 PM

Default RE: Does Does Does Does and...

Sounds good Wolfen, sorry about the bad luck, had the tree thing happen to me last year, not on a buck but on some does, heck I couldn't even draw my bow back halfway, last time I ever hunt a stand without trying it first. Sounds like your on some good deer so hang in there.
Old 10-05-2004, 06:20 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Official TEAM "USA Hawg Hunters" (16) Thread

Looks like at least your on the big boys Wolfen..but it shows to go ya how everything has to be perfect to pull it off.

Nothin cookin on the opener at the farm for me as expected since we have beans instead of corn....waiting for the rut. I'll probably skip this week then only take one overnighter a week to the farm until then rut...then all bets are off.
Old 10-05-2004, 07:52 PM
Typical Buck

Back in the saddle tonight after our hiking trip out west - and I told myself if a doe presents a suicide shot, I'll take it. The landowner wants deer taken... The alpha doe came in at 1630 with offspring from last year and this year - presenting a quartering away shot at 14 yds - I was thinking of the 4 big scrapes around me, but you got to take the does while the getting is good. She's now a hangin' in my walk-in cooler. MD has a 12 deer archery limit, no more than 2 bucks - it's up to the hunters to do their part. Maybe the big guy will show up first next time!

-fsh
Old 10-06-2004, 11:16 PM

Default RE: Does Does Does Does and...

There taking alot of crops in Missouri, and of course I'm set up on the oak flats. After a week off I'm going to get back after it on friday through Sunday. Good Luck to one and all. BE SAFE
Old 10-10-2004, 09:54 PM

Sunday nite and not a deer to be seen. I think I'm a little early to be hunting the acorns, but that's my plan and I'm sticking with it. Sooner than later the crops have to become depleated, then were on in the acorn flats. A guy That I took with me got a doe and she was full of grass. Let me know where you guys think I should be hunting.Our land is in northern Missouri. It is all hardwoods and a few open pastures.
Old 10-10-2004, 10:36 PM
Fork Horn

I'd Stay Off the Acorns early so I didnt stink the place up, depending on how many acres you have....every situation is different....but I like to save the Honey Holes for the Rut if I can. Early season Hunting is tough...it can happen the but odds are a lot better for you in the the rut and I like to play into the odds.
Old 10-10-2004, 10:56 PM
Fork Horn

hey guys. hope everyone is seeing deer. sounds like wolfen had a rough hunt , but that big boy will be back so hang in there wolfen. as far as the acorns go i have some insight to that also. i hunted this evening(sunday) and was on a natural funnel at the top of a steep erosion ditch. i have acorns at every step in this patch of woods and no deer sightings yet at this funnel. what i have noticed is that the deer i am seeing are in the cut bean fields in the morning and evening. so (sunday) in the evening i hunted the edge of the bean field but at the opening going to my funnel and wham i seen five deer within an hour of being on stand. i was on the ground so i wouldn't have to move my stand, so it got tuff. i noticed that i had three does and two bucks in the field. one doe was by herself and one buck was with her. wouldn't leave her no matter which way she went he followed. the deer were devouring the cut bean hay as i call it as fast as they could. both the bucks were 8 pointers but both probably in the 140 to 160 range. one even had two brow tines on one side one a little bigger than his g-2. never got close enough on this night but will be ready the next time as i will hunt my funnel but closer to the field. sry about long post just excited to see deer in qty and what seemed like a buck in love already. good hunting team.
Old 10-13-2004, 03:31 AM
Typical Buck

onemred
- I would definitely hit the oaks. Best are flats adjacent to nearby bedding areas. Here in So. MD the whiteoaks are painting the ground brown, so the problem is that there are too many choices for the deer. I did some quick midday scouting through several flats and found a few that were favored over the others. Monday morning I had a nice 8 ptr feed 1/2 hr around me before he left to chase a doe that came in to the flat. Although a 3 1/2 (I had him in range last yr when he was a distinctive 2 1/2 - has white feet like he is wearing athletic socks on the rear legs), he was not the herd bull, so he got a pass. Last night, another oak flat and I was hunting a doe for earn-a-buck qdm property. An 8 ptr (pencil rack) and a 6 ptr walked underneath me as they scavanged acorns. Another 4 ptr joined them shortly. The only doe showed up got chased off by the 8 ptr. Lots of reports of bucks showing interest in does. (Our doe/buck ratio on the qdm is probably 1.5 to 1, so were expecting an intense rut - incredible numbers of scrapes this year...). In another few weeks, I'll pay less attention to feeding areas and set up in funnels and choke points.
Good luck to you all,
fsh
Old 10-13-2004, 11:33 PM

Thanks for all the input. This weekend I'm gonna hunt the stand in the bottoms. It's a waiting area for the deer before they go into the grassy fields. All the grass here is still very green. Gonna go back to the stand in the oaks next weekend.
Old 10-14-2004, 09:13 AM
Fork Horn

Just got back from the farm last night.....deer were not moving at all and it was sprinkling mostly all day yesterday...never did see a doe...did manange to get my eye on one nice 140s and another much bigger deer looked to be 12pts with some junk to boot......and I know exactly where he lives...........come on rut.

Quick Reply: Official TEAM "USA Hawg Hunters" (16) Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.