Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > The Archives > The Archives > Deer Hunting Contest 2004 (Bow)
 Official TEAM "USA Hawg Hunters" (16) Thread >

Official TEAM "USA Hawg Hunters" (16) Thread

Deer Hunting Contest 2004 (Bow) All posts regarding the 2004 Deer Hunting Contest go into this Forum.

Official TEAM "USA Hawg Hunters" (16) Thread

Old 09-20-2004, 07:13 AM

Default RE: Official TEAM "USA Hawg Hunters" (16) Thread

I like it, this team is quiet, not saying much, just out in the woods preparing to lay the smack down on a BIG HAWG.
Old 09-20-2004, 07:19 AM

I almost scored for us Sat night. Had a pretty nice buck "close to P+Y" about 35 yds out, never gave me a good broadside shot plus I never practice shots that far so I let him walk. It want be long though, seeing some good deer every time I'm out so its been a great season for me so far.
Old 09-20-2004, 12:52 PM
Fork Horn

I'll be headed back to farm Tuesday Night after work to put in a few more stands and I may do a burn as well. Then Sunday Morning I'll put one more up at my other spot....Less than 2 weeks...tick tock tick tock.
Old 09-21-2004, 07:04 PM
Fork Horn

Leavin for the Farm in an hour or so......I'm sure I'm like this every year but I cant remember..........getting real edgy.........must.....hunt...........10 days to go....
You know its getting bad when your walking around work going....that guy is broadside at 26yds I could heart lung him nooooo problem...
Old 09-22-2004, 02:52 PM
Fork Horn

Default Does Does Does Does and...

Well everything is in place.....I will probably hang a couple more stand once the rut gets closer and I've had time to observes more Deer movement. But other that That we are good to go.....Deer were feeding heavily in the Beans last night still they should be about dried up and switch to corn by the opener I would think. I did see a couple smaller buck plus one dandy 150 class. Wow 9 days to go.......kill me. good luck all!
Old 09-23-2004, 07:42 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Does Does Does Does and...

Good luck fellas...I still have to wait until next Friday (Oct. 1) before I can begin my quest at the harvest of a hawg. Did final stand prep work last weekend and saw lots of good sign. Already seeing rubs.
Old 09-27-2004, 01:08 PM

Been within 50 yds of 2 bruisers the last few days, I am seeing these deer on the property where I have to hunt from the ground only so it is making it a little rough. Hunting from a ground blind which is different but still it should just be a matter of time till one of them comes close enough to deal with.
Old 09-27-2004, 07:32 PM

my season starts this saturday i cant wait
Old 10-02-2004, 08:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Been out 3 times so far.(as of 10-02) First outing nothing, second outing shot a doe and the third outing...nothing. Not a stellar start, haven't seen a buck yet, Octaber should be good though!

Good Luck whan you get out!
Old 10-04-2004, 08:20 AM
Typical Buck

Fellas...I saw THE HAWG!!! Saturday night right after 7pm I grunted in a hawg of a buck. He is probably top 3 of all time sightings for me. He was about 3 inches outside each ear and had about a 7 inch drop tine coming off his right main beam. He had some other junk around his base but I couldn't quite tell how much. I was in deep woods and it was darkening quickly. His beams came off his head at a 90 degree angle. His ears were forced almost downward. I'm estimating his score in the 190 range...perhaps more given all of the junk I could hardly make out. His spread was 23-25 inches. I hadn't seen anything all evening and as I had mentioned, it was getting dark fast in the woods so I started letting out some deep bellowing short grunts periodically and after one such series, this hawg and another deer half his size who I never gave a second glance, came charging down the hill and stopped on a dime right where there is a scrape every year. The buck stood there, 20 yards away, and pissed down his legs and rubbed his tarsals together. I was in a buddies tree stand that in retrospect is worthless. The platform is only about 1 sq. ft. and only lends itself to use as a seat. There were some trees blocking a clean shot so I waited for the buck to move. After freshening the scrape, the buck began to scan the woods for signs of the buck he thought he heard and he seemed to nail me dead in the stand. Talk about a gut wrenching experience. This ole boy stared me down for what seemed like an eternity before finally easing up and putting his head down and taking a few more steps at which point I drew my bow back and of course, he caught a glimpse I guess and went back on full alert at about 17 yards broadside with his vitals obscured by trees. I quickly discovered another flaw of the stand I was in and that was since the platform was so small, I couldn't get far enough away from the tree to get my bow fully drawn without hitting the tree. I was right on the edge and about to spill over and couldn't get my right elbow back without colliding with the tree. [:@] As I tried to peer through my peep, I couldn't even make out my pin at this point because it had gotten so dark. So...as fate would have it, when I let up the bow with no hope of a shot, this monster bolted outta sight. Needless to say, I will be making some stand adjustments.[:@] I've NEVER had such early season response to a grunt call from any mature deer like this and I really only planned on sitting in that stand to do some scouting and wasn't really expecting what had happened. Got caught with my shorts down. [] That buck has kept me up at night since and really has got me by the balls!!![&:] Saturday morning I saw a dozen or so deer of which one was a buck that is a borderline shooter and another suicide six-pointer that made two passes broadside at 15 yards downwind Heckuva start to the season!!!!

Quick Reply: Official TEAM "USA Hawg Hunters" (16) Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.