HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Crossbows (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/crossbows-76/)
-   -   Got a new Xbow scope (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/crossbows/428670-got-new-xbow-scope.html)

bronko22000 11-13-2022 03:46 PM

Got a new Xbow scope

I just got a Truglo Opti-speed BDC crossbow scope from Opticsplanet.com. I order this because the CenterPoint scope that cam with my Xbow wasn't very good in low light.
This scope has an illuminated reticle and has small crosshairs from 20 to 100 yards. (Not that I'd ever shoot game at that distance). It's pretty unique how it works. You can adjust the magnification as you would any variable scope but once sighted in you leave the power (speed) at that magnification. The power ring is marked for velocity and not magnification. If you have access to a chronograph you get the average speed for your set up and turn the power ring to that setting. You sight in at 20 yards which is the center of the reticle. You then move the target out to 30 or 40 yards and shoot a group and adjust the power ring accordingly. (if you're shooting low gradually turn the ring to a slower speed until you're hitting center). You can adjust any left to right with the scope's L-R turret. After shooting at 20 and 40 yards I went out to 50 yards and found that I was just a bit low so I turned the speed down a tiny bit. Its a nice scope and the illumination is really nice especially in low light or overcast conditions.

Bocajnala 11-13-2022 04:08 PM

The first guy I knew with a crossbow bragged that he shot his first deer with it at 80 yards. Spined it, and it dropped on the spot.

This was probably 1998 ish....

I hate to think of the deer he almost certainly wounded and lost over the years.

I never hunted with him. Glad I didn't.

Modern crossbows are capable of impressive shooting. I still limit myself to 30 yards personally. Even though that could probably be 40 without much concern.

-Jake

bronko22000 11-25-2022 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by Bocajnala (Post 4407548)
Modern crossbows are capable of impressive shooting. I still limit myself to 30 yards personally. Even though that could probably be 40 without much concern.
-Jake

I agree Jake. Just because the Xbow is capable of making long accurate shots doesn't mean you should. I shot one deer a bit over 40 yards with my compound and one also with my Xbow but that's about my limit. I used to practice out to 70 yards with my compound but would never shoot at an animal that far. Its really neat watching those lighted nocks fly thru the air and hit their mark.
With this new scope I was shooting 50 yards to fine tune the magnification/reticles. Maybe next year I may just see how accurate the bow and scope combo are at longer distances just for kicks.

JW 11-26-2022 02:49 PM

Well ive always had trouble with any multiple dot or lined xbow scope for yardage distances.
until I put the garmin xeroii on my xbow.

Absolutely love this scope.
simple push of a button
Get a range, get a new dot. Put the dot on your target and fire!

But like you guys 50 yards would be my max. Im always one closer is better.

JW

riskincide 08-16-2023 01:12 AM

Originally Posted by bronko22000 (Post 4407546)
I just got a Truglo Opti-speed BDC crossbow scope from Opticsplanet.com. I order this because the CenterPoint scope that cam with my Xbow wasn't very good in low light.
This scope has an illuminated reticle and has small crosshairs from 20 to 100 yards. (Not that I'd ever shoot game at that distance). It's pretty unique how it works. You can adjust the magnification as you would any variable scope but once sighted in you leave the power (speed) at that magnification. The power ring is marked for velocity and not magnification. If you have access to a chronograph you get the average speed for your set up and turn the power ring to that setting. You sight in at 20 yards which is the center of the reticle. You then move the target out to 30 or 40 yards and shoot a group and adjust the power ring accordingly epoxy flooring boston. (if you're shooting low gradually turn the ring to a slower speed until you're hitting center). You can adjust any left to right with the scope's L-R turret. After shooting at 20 and 40 yards I went out to 50 yards and found that I was just a bit low so I turned the speed down a tiny bit. Its a nice scope and the illumination is really nice especially in low light or overcast conditions.

As crossbows continue to increase in price now near $3000. Crossbow scope manufacturers are way behind in quality. Just for comparison when you purchase a new rifle. The scope should at least match the price of the rifle.