Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
Horton vision 175 >

Horton vision 175

Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Horton vision 175

Old 10-20-2020, 06:00 PM
Spike

Default Horton vision 175

My string broke into on my vision 175 I’ve heard they have had problems in the past is there anything better I can do string wise I would appreciate any help on this matter
Old 10-28-2020, 02:07 AM
Spike

Get an after market string made for it. There are a number of builders out there such as 60X and Boo.
Old 10-28-2020, 05:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

if your string broke while the bow was under tension, I would have serious concerns about limbs being damaged when things let go, there is quite a load on a loaded X Bow, and when things go froma string failure its very easy to smage limbs, in ways you CANNOT SEE!, thus, I would be rather hesiant to be using afterwards, but that is me??
the risks ain;t worth taking IMO< but its your call!
and
I owned a Horton realtree 175, basically the same bow as your's just with some different decals LOL

and I found the string was a HIGH wear item, I would just replace it every yr, I think local bow shop charged me like 20-25 bucks a yr to replace string every season
I tried waxing and using graphite lube on rails, and it MAYBE helped a little, but due to design, I just found it was harder on strings than some other X bows I have had!
I sold it a few yrs back now.
and I also had strings made of the best materials I could find, didn;'t really help,a s again its due to how the bow string rides on the rails that is making the wear area, even if you added more serving wrap to wear area's it just created more friction, so that wasn't a fix either!
its just about watching string for wear and replacing before failure, and also remember, strings are under tension ALL the time, so AGE alone is reason to replace at some point if NOT showing wear on the surface of them

But there are many better X bows on the market now for a LOT less than what I paid for my 175, things have gotten much better on X bows over the past 5 yrs or so IMO! so, maybe its just time to up grade?
call it food for thought?
and or a safety factor to consider!

Old 12-14-2020, 10:23 AM
Spike

My husband use 60X and Boo