Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
Crossbow recommendations >

Crossbow recommendations

Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Crossbow recommendations

Old 04-24-2020, 08:37 PM
Spike

Default Crossbow recommendations

New hunter here, Ok so about the recommendations, I’m hearing that lower cost bows like centerpoint are reliable as well, and I don’t need a 600+ bow, how true is that, what about killer instinct? Again just trying to gain all the knowledge I can. And Excalibur I want really starts at 7 so that’ll be something for later down the line that I make a more expensive purchase but for now I want to spend around that all together if not less than that for bow package,case, rail lube, if it doesn’t come with the package wax and a target for now and arrows and field points if it doesn’t come with the package as well, and some decent optics if the bow calls for it and doesn’t already have some decent optics on it. Will be deer hunting. Edit: after more research I am opting out of the “budget” bow selection and want to stick with reputable brands, I hear wicked by TenPoint is going also, I thin the crossbow is called the TenPoint titan skinny, anyone have hands on experience with that bow, also another question I wanted to ask m, how much is a “suppression or dampening” system NEEDED, could I not put on one my bow and it be perfectly fine? Also I’ve pretty much narrowed it down now. Between the Excalibur matrix G340 or the TenPoint TitanSS skinny

Last edited by Kking102296; 04-24-2020 at 09:02 PM.
Old 04-25-2020, 05:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

best advice, is go to a few bow shops(when you can) and go and actually SHOOT them models and a few others
and there is NO real reason anyone need a higher costing X bow, not to say higher costing bows are bad or not worth it
just saying there are a lot of great deals on X bows and they will shoot well , be reliable and safe!
they just won';t have all the best features and speeds
but they will for sure kill you deer if you do your part right!

one of the main reason I suggest going and shooting possible models, is making sure it FITS YOU< as what gits me and others might not be what feels comfortable and fits you
then you can HEAR the differences in noise of firing each model and there is a difference
shooting them also helps you get a feel again for fit and balance, and you get to se how wide they are and what type of hunting you do, how wide they are will matter!

nothing beats going and shooting bows before buying IMO

all the reviews in the world will never beat actually going and test shooting some models and picking the one YOU like best!
Old 04-25-2020, 05:48 AM
Boone & Crockett

Very good advice above! go to an archery shop where you can shoot a variety of cross bows and have your questions answered and have them tell you which bolts and broad heads would be good for you. Then buy more arrows just to use for practice. A shop will also assemble your crossbow properly generally at no cost. If you buy online you will have to assemble it.

Last edited by Oldtimr; 04-25-2020 at 06:59 AM.
Old 04-25-2020, 06:32 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by mrbb
best advice, is go to a few bow shops(when you can) and go and actually SHOOT them models and a few others
and there is NO real reason anyone need a higher costing X bow, not to say higher costing bows are bad or not worth it
just saying there are a lot of great deals on X bows and they will shoot well , be reliable and safe!
they just won';t have all the best features and speeds
but they will for sure kill you deer if you do your part right!

one of the main reason I suggest going and shooting possible models, is making sure it FITS YOU< as what gits me and others might not be what feels comfortable and fits you
then you can HEAR the differences in noise of firing each model and there is a difference
shooting them also helps you get a feel again for fit and balance, and you get to se how wide they are and what type of hunting you do, how wide they are will matter!

nothing beats going and shooting bows before buying IMO

all the reviews in the world will never beat actually going and test shooting some models and picking the one YOU like best!
that’s the problem there is no archery shop real close to me closest one is bass pro and I’m not sure if they let you actually shoot the bow. Sticking on the lower end of the spectrum, Barnett just dropped a recurve for 2020 the wildcat and blackcat same bow different color rated like 260 FPS, is that enough for deer, I do realize my shot will probably have to be within 20-25 yards if not closer if its even doable
Old 04-25-2020, 02:30 PM
Spike

Default Brand New Killer Instinct 425 FPS Crossbow FOR SALE!!

I am selling my Killer Instinct 425. It was 535.00 after tax and hasnt been taken out of the box. Comes with lifetime warranty, scope and everything you would get from any hunting goods store. I have pictures and would answer any questions you may have. I want be hunting for a yr or two, so I have no use for it at this point. Still in box, hoping to get 400.00 or close to it. Call or text me at 3522790294 and ask for Joe.
Old 04-30-2020, 12:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

There is no need to spend alot of money on a very good reliable crossbow. The money saved I would opt for better optics.

I have two Centerpoints, and no issues at all !!!

My most current one is the Centerpoint 415 Patriot which is sold at Walmart, but they come under two other model names: Amped, and Heat, all three are the same no difference. I replaced the scope that came with it with a Hawke Sports Optics 1.5-5x32 XB1 SR Illuminated #12221 it's speed rated about $170 maybe less,another decent scope is a Centerpoint Illuminated Scope that isn't speed rated about $50.00 the quiver replaced with a Kwikkee Kiver, the supplied bolts I use to discharge only, for sighting in and hunting I use Victory Decimators with Lighted Nocks three for $30.00 from Dick's Sporting Goods. I had the trigger adjusted so now it's 2.5 lb pull with a 1/8" creep, the bolt retainer was replaced (not necessary) with a brush retainer. For a good price on the Centerpoint 415 click on the link below, add your email and once in stock they will contact you, three friends did it last month and got them a few weeks ago
https://northwoodsoutlet.com/product...-415-crossbow/
Old 05-02-2020, 06:37 PM
Giant Nontypical

There are a few things to look at;
The trigger pull is very important
be sure you won't have trouble cockling some take a lot of strength unless you get a winch type cocker
depending on strength and age how heavy the weight can make a difference in how steady you can hold it
The ones you are looking at are good choices but it would be best to shoot them for 5 or 6 shots before deciding.

Old 05-03-2020, 08:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

My Centerpoint 415
Attached Thumbnails Crossbow recommendations-94772851_10220361640184037_3064786837340946432_o.jpg   Crossbow recommendations-95504707_10220361637543971_1836861008879026176_o.jpg  
Old 05-05-2020, 06:15 PM
Spike

Great advise above, really good idea to go to a pro shop and shoot a few bows to see what you like the feel of and your comfort level with loading different draw weights.
I haven't found any brands that I really love the trigger pull on, would be interested to here if anyone has a favorite brand/model with a really good trigger pull?
My personal favorite, minus the trigger pull is the Excalibur, awesome bows and they have such a simple design. Not a lot of moving parts to worry about.
Old 05-11-2020, 06:27 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by BOWHUNTERCOP
There is no need to spend alot of money on a very good reliable crossbow. The money saved I would opt for better optics.

I have two Centerpoints, and no issues at all !!!

My most current one is the Centerpoint 415 Patriot which is sold at Walmart, but they come under two other model names: Amped, and Heat, all three are the same no difference. I replaced the scope that came with it with a Hawke Sports Optics 1.5-5x32 XB1 SR Illuminated #12221 it's speed rated about $170 maybe less,another decent scope is a Centerpoint Illuminated Scope that isn't speed rated about $50.00 the quiver replaced with a Kwikkee Kiver, the supplied bolts I use to discharge only, for sighting in and hunting I use Victory Decimators with Lighted Nocks three for $30.00 from Dick's Sporting Goods. I had the trigger adjusted so now it's 2.5 lb pull with a 1/8" creep, the bolt retainer was replaced (not necessary) with a brush retainer. For a good price on the Centerpoint 415 click on the link below, add your email and once in stock they will contact you, three friends did it last month and got them a few weeks ago
https://northwoodsoutlet.com/product...-415-crossbow/
Originally Posted by BOWHUNTERCOP
My Centerpoint 415
I also recommend Centerpoint. I have 2 Sniper 370s. I liked mine so much I got one for my grandson. They are fast, well made, accurate and won't break your wallet.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.