HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Crossbows (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/crossbows-76/)
-   -   Crossbow scopes (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/crossbows/422973-crossbow-scopes.html)

Big Uncle 03-10-2020 02:13 PM

Crossbow scopes

I am having trouble deciding which scope to put on the Ten Point Viper I ordered. The Hawke XB30 Compact, Hawke XB30 Pro, and the EVOX Marksman all seem good. But which one for an occasional whitetail hunter on his first crossbow? I can not find any clear answers anywhere. The EVOX costs a bit more than the Hawke models and it is fairly new on the market so I am assuming (wildly guessing) that it must be the better scope. Buying a crossbow is turning out to be a big pain in the backside.

lemoyne 03-10-2020 06:18 PM

At this time I have 2 Ten point crossbows and a hole drawer full of scopes including the ones that came on my 10 point bows and this year I got all my deer with an Excalibur Tac 100 that is at least twice as good as any other I have had.
1/ Clear at dawn and dusk at least 5 minutes more.
2. The lighted recital can be dimmed down enough to work right in very low light.
3. while the longest shot I have ever taken at deer was 55yds and that was a big buck that showed up at the same exact spot every evening so I practiced the shot in the morning until I was ready, I really like the capability of a zeroed in 100yds. I like to do some long range practice.

mrbb 03-10-2020 07:01 PM

best advice here IMO is,
go to a good bow shop and look at Both scopes on a X bow like your getting and shoot them and see what one you like best, OR look at other options in scopes and mayeb find one you like better

they ALL work when matched to the correct X bow
larger dia tubes and objective len's, better quality glass , all get you better low light gathering and clearer viewing, and many will also net you wider field of view
BUT to be honest, again, its PERKS< , the plain jane basic scopes that come on them work for 90% of all hunters
the rest want better and Upgrade, just like they do on there rifles and so on!
spending money doesn;'t always get you better either, so keep that in mind, and also, spending more money for something your not going to really use, isn;t great spending either!

Big Uncle 03-11-2020 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by lemoyne (Post 4371890)
At this time I have 2 Ten point crossbows and a hole drawer full of scopes including the ones that came on my 10 point bows and this year I got all my deer with an Excalibur Tac 100 that is at least twice as good as any other I have had.
1/ Clear at dawn and dusk at least 5 minutes more.
2. The lighted recital can be dimmed down enough to work right in very low light.
3. while the longest shot I have ever taken at deer was 55yds and that was a big buck that showed up at the same exact spot every evening so I practiced the shot in the morning until I was ready, I really like the capability of a zeroed in 100yds. I like to do some long range practice.

Thanks for the suggestion. It is always good to hear from someone that has actually used a piece of equipment. At this point I will still probably choose from those that I mentioned but I am sure the Tac 100 would be a good option.

lemoyne 03-12-2020 09:03 AM

it really depends on what you use it for, most of them will do for target shooting , when it comes to hunting having a nice buck walking around in front of you and you can see him but not the crosshair and when you turn on the lighted crosshair you can not dim it enough to see the deer for the glare. I am glad some one finally took actual hunting conditions into consideration. Most xbow scopes work fine under well lit conditions.

BOWHUNTERCOP 03-13-2020 10:18 AM

EVOX is the best one on your list, but expensive.

I put a Hawke XB1 1.5-5×32 SR on my Centerpoint, this scope is excellent, clear, crisp, fog, water, shock proof.....search the internet for the best price

Big Uncle 03-15-2020 01:21 PM

I had to finally pick something, so I went with the EVOX. FedEx is stopping by my house tomorrow with the crossbow package (from Wyvern) and I will post my impressions at some point in the near future.

Thanks guys.

410001661 03-31-2020 09:18 AM

I use an Excalibur Tact Zone Illuminated scope on my Micro 335 and it works very nicely