HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Crossbows (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/crossbows-76/)
-   -   Crossbow for a 30 year Archery veteran . . .?? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/crossbows/421433-crossbow-30-year-archery-veteran.html)

dig4gold 08-05-2019 12:57 PM

Crossbow for a 30 year Archery veteran . . .??

Here's my dilemma . . . (you've all heard it before). I've been an archery hunter (elk, deer, lopes, etc) for 30ish years. But recent health issues will require me to move to a crossbow if I want to continue archery hunting. Which I DO! I've spent countless minutes surfing the web and reading review after review . . . ENOUGH! Not sure how many years of hunting I have left, so I'm not keen on spending "Raven" money. But I do have to have quality without missing a house payment. Speed is not critical . . . important, but not critical. Quality of build, accuracy, decent accessories like a good scope, string cocker, bolts, quiver, etc. Light weight wold be nice, but I realize it's gonna weigh bout what my rifle is.
So I'm asking for suggestions that will at least cut down the list of makers / models that will serve my purpose. I realize this like asking, "What truck should I buy?", or "How brown should my toast be?" Best help would be to remove certain brands from my purchase, and add favorite makers/models with my parameters. Asking too much? . . . Yes. Also, I live in Cheyenne, WY where there are no stores I can go to to shoot crossbows to help reduce the list of possibilities. I will be buying "sight unseen."
Thanks for any help . . .

Bocajnala 08-05-2019 01:57 PM

Ten points will provide you with quality, accuracy and speed and still be in the affordable range i think.

Allot of people seem to like the centerpoints too.

I'd come up with an excuse to drive down to Cabela's in Boulder CO and hold some. Nothing beats being able to handle something before buying it.

-Jake

dig4gold 08-05-2019 02:17 PM

Good idea! I'm about halfway between Sidney's Cabelas and Denver's Bass Pro Shop.

Bocajnala 08-05-2019 03:14 PM

I forgot about the one in Sydney that's right off route 80 i think. I've been to that one.

Like I said, for making the type of commitment you are... I'd want to get my hands on some and see what feels right.

Youre not a new guy trying out archery to see if it's something that you would like. You already have allot of experience and you know what kind of hunting you'll do and what you'll be able to carry.

So getting to handle some will be beneficial.

-Jake

mrbb 08-05-2019 03:43 PM

I will add this, honestly have a GOOD look at the reverse limb draw X bows
they IMO balance SO Much better, there worth a closer look that just buying by price tag or speeds!
since I gather your also going to be using a hand crank over manual drawing them back to load,
pay close attention to how LOUD the cranks are and then think about being in a very quiet forest and using it!
there NOT all created equal, or work the same!

NOTHING beats SHOOTING several models too, , watch your thumbs too when shooting them! LOL

lots of great X bows out there, the narrower they are, the more user friendly they can be too!

dig4gold 08-05-2019 04:22 PM

Actually no, I prefer the rope cockers. "reverse limb draw X bows", you referring to the likes of Raven?

Bocajnala 08-05-2019 05:31 PM

I'm using a 20 year old horton.

That gets the job done.

But when I eventually upgrade I'll strongly consider a reverse limb bow. They seem much narrower and nicer to carry.

If you do allot of moving, like most Western hunts involve.. weight and comfort while carrying will be important. Mine is heavy, bulky and miserable to carry.

-Jake

Bocajnala 08-05-2019 05:41 PM

This is a reverse limb bow.

I have not shot one. But they feel better balanced to me because the weight is more centered instead of out at the end of the bow. They're also narrower

dig4gold 08-05-2019 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by Bocajnala (Post 4359057)
This is a reverse limb bow.

I have not shot one. But they feel better balanced to me because the weight is more centered instead of out at the end of the bow. They're also narrower

Nice! But more than I want, or can spend.

dig4gold 08-05-2019 06:23 PM

I do like the lokk and features of the Tenpoint Turbo GT!