Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
Crossbow for a 30 year Archery veteran . . .?? >

Crossbow for a 30 year Archery veteran . . .??

Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Crossbow for a 30 year Archery veteran . . .??

Old 08-05-2019, 07:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Bocajnala
I'm using a 20 year old horton.

That gets the job done.

But when I eventually upgrade I'll strongly consider a reverse limb bow. They seem much narrower and nicer to carry.

If you do allot of moving, like most Western hunts involve.. weight and comfort while carrying will be important. Mine is heavy, bulky and miserable to carry.

-Jake
this is something I found that made a HUGE difference in carrying a crossbow
I added a second sling to mine, that was stretchable and would run one sling over a shoulder like a normal rifle sling deals, and then the second one being stretchy, over my other shoulder, making it like a back pack
I could STILL use it with a back pack on too, as it is a LONG stretchy sling, but it, holds the X bow snug enough to not creep or roll down while walking. I had a lot of set ups that were a mile or so walk in,
I cannot tell you how much more enjoyable it made carrying a x bow after doing this, a night and day difference!
Old 08-05-2019, 07:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by dig4gold
Actually no, I prefer the rope cockers. "reverse limb draw X bows", you referring to the likes of Raven?
I am referring to the reverse limb bows , but there are several makers of them and NOT all cost as much as them super high end Ravins do!
the Horton was about 700 when my buddy bought his, and it shoots pretty fast and flat, and is a bunch quieter than my standard like limb X bow(there nowt all the same , but just an example on his was quieter then mine)
But the balance of it, is SO much nicer to hold
you DO need a special SLED to draw his and many of the others require a like device and or a crank
I was thinking you needed a crack, due to you said your health was stopping your from using a standard vertical bow, so, wrong of me to think so maybe, but I thru out the info, just in case you looked at any
some make a LOT more noise than others, so something to think about
Narrow limbs BOTH when drawn and in relaxed state, are WAY better, as they allow you to shoot closer to tree's when in a tree stand or on the ground, less worry about a limb slapping a tree when firing, as you can forget yourself in the excitement and hitting a limb can be DANGEROUS real fast!
you really don't want a X bow imploding or a string coming off when firing, with the load them limbs have on them!

also narrower bows make for easier handing in blinds and such!
almost all modern X Bows are pretty darn accurate to 40 yards, some just have better fit and functions with smaller lighter sizes, you pay for the better SHAPED bows and faster one's!
Old 08-05-2019, 07:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

here is a reverse X bow packaged deal new, for an example(Horton was bought out and is now owned by TEN POINT too, so, there more or less the same parent company and both been a round X bows a LONG time!

Amazon Amazon

and a wicked ridge one​​​​​​​
https://www.amazon.com/Wicked-Ridge-Crossbow-Multi-Line-WR19060-5534/dp/B07NY3LWGB/ref=pd_day0_hl_200_6/134-0316790-5730344?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B07NY3LWGB&pd_rd_r= 0d1a54ff-45a1-40e4-8595-102a1bc271d5&pd_rd_w=PSmpb&pd_rd_wg=aQhvL&pf_rd_p= ad07871c-e646-4161-82c7-5ed0d4c85b07&pf_rd_r=QQS8SR7JPTMZJ5EBVKZV&psc=1&re fRID=QQS8SR7JPTMZJ5EBVKZV

Last edited by mrbb; 08-05-2019 at 07:28 PM.
Old 08-06-2019, 06:21 AM
Banned

They have Mission X-Bows at our local shop. Pricy as hell, but I'm told they can shoot 1" groups at 100 yards!! Damn . . . can't always do that with my .308!
Reportedly a Mathews Company. Any knowledge of the Mission bows?
Old 08-06-2019, 08:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

no none need a 1 inch group at a 100 yards,
its a marketing sales pitch
to those that fall for things like that

I have NEVER seen a X Bow made recently that cannot shoot nice small groups at 30-40 yards
(friend owns a bow shop so I see a lot of them )
some just are faster/flatter, and the bows them self are smaller /lighter/narrower/quieter
you pay for the things you want,m top tier anything will cost you a lot of $$ and offer most folks many things they will never need or use! LOL
they are pretty and FAST and FLAT shooting for sure, but NO one HAS to have one to kill deer with a X Bow!

I have shot the 2K plus X bows, and they are impressive, but at 2K, that's a LOT of coin for a X Bow
Most folks don't even come close to spending this much on a rifle, that will last for decades and decades and never need parts replaced most likley
yet a X bow, string wear is a common replacement deal,
When I had my gun shop, I had access to buy archery products, and the MARK up on archery items shops sold them at was SO high it was crazy(50+% over the prices I could buy things at was average sale price, and gun stuff I was at 10-15%)
it was why used bows had SO little trade in value ,
I never understood why NO archery shop would just make less profit and sell more , to make there profits and get a strong customer base!( I again never sold them due to my friend had his shop, and he sent me gun customers and I sent him archery one's)
I guess maybe there are conditions with Makers to be an official dealer of "X" names! but for yrs and yrs I used to laugh at how much mark up is on archery things, bows' broad heads and so on!

but archery folks sure open there wallets more than MOST gun folks! LOL
Old 08-06-2019, 09:52 AM
Banned

Any brands to stay away from? CHINESE, poor materials, not accurate . . . etc.
Old 08-06-2019, 10:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

stick to name brands that have a proven track record of being in business a while
longer the better IMO
I wouldn;t buy the cheapest of any bow on the market
but all the brand names make safe reliable items anymore, law suits MAKE this happen more than there desire too LOL

when you read up on X Bow's things you will hear a LOT of folks complain about will be weight, overall size, how LOUD, they are WAY louder than any vertical bow!, string wear, string wear is a issue that most all have, and the more you shoot it, sooner strings need to be replaced, X bows are NOT made to be loaded and left loaded for LONG periods of time, yet MANY do it, its a safety thing, all OEM 's will tell you not to, but in life, most think they know better till something happens !

coatings on x bow and materials the bow itself are made of, come into play
how COLD they feel or get, or traction when cold wet, wearing gloves, which brings up features like how easy safety's are to work with fingers, and with gloves on, locations of them
how hard to load, unload
fit , how well one fits YOU< as to someone else!
these are things to look at when TRYING Models at a good shop
and its also what makes the difference in models and prices

Brand names, ten point, horton,darton, and so on have been about for decades, parts are or should always be there, as are more shops/dealers, so convenience has a place in buying things, should you need help with them
a GOOD dealer closer to you of "X" Brand might be worth paying extra for too, over saving $$ up front and later on needing help

but all modern X bows are rather safe, again due to law suits, the makers just cannot afford to make things that can fail much anymore!
you pay for creature comforts and fit and finishes and perks of being lighter faster, narrower and likes! thats where the $$$ climbs faster than being safer! IMO
Old 08-06-2019, 10:33 AM
Banned

horton vortec rdx ???

reverse-draw, ACUdraw PRO cocking device, Quiver, Three Horton carbon arrows, 350fps . . .?? 1/2 price!! At $575.00

Last edited by dig4gold; 08-06-2019 at 10:48 AM.
Old 08-06-2019, 12:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by dig4gold
horton vortec rdx ???

reverse-draw, ACUdraw PRO cocking device, Quiver, Three Horton carbon arrows, 350fps . . .?? 1/2 price!! At $575.00
sounds like deal, but before you BUY any X bow, GO shoot one, either the one on sale, or one some place else like it !
just cause I like them doesn't mean you will< LOL
Old 08-06-2019, 02:04 PM
Banned

I frailed to mention that I'm under a bit of a time crunch. You se, archery here in Wyoming starts Aug 15th for lopes. Needed to get something and break it in so to speak. I went ahead and ordered the

HORTON VORTEC RDX . I figure it has to be good enough for now . . and maybe forever. Thanks for all your input!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.