Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
Question for Crossbow Purchase >

Question for Crossbow Purchase

Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Question for Crossbow Purchase

Old 01-30-2019, 08:53 AM
Spike

Default Question for Crossbow Purchase

I thinking of getting a crossbow. Mainly to do a little early season huning and to piss off some bow snobs on another forum that I frequent.

I will be 73 before next hunting season so I don't know how many seasons I have left so I don't think I'll buy a Ravin.

My question is are any $300 crossbows worth buying? Cabelas shows
Bear Archery X Vanish
Center Point Sniper Elite Whisper
Center Point Tormentor Whisper 380
PSE Fang LT
PSE Fang 350 XT
Carbon Express X-Force
in that $300 range..

Thanks in advance

What do you all think? Any of the them good enough or are they going to be more trouble than they are worth.
Old 01-30-2019, 11:36 AM
Super Moderator

I think you can find something in that price range that will satisfy your needs .

I still use a 20 year old Horton crossbow that went for under $300 new when I bought it.

It's allot slower than these new bows but still kills deer.

another thing you could do is buy used. Might get allot more bow for 300 if you're buying used

-Jake
Old 01-30-2019, 01:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

you don't need a super fast or costly X bow
BUT there are advantages to some models over others
and that is FIT and how LOUD and or how they balance in YOUR hands
BEST advice is honestly GO to some bow shops that allow you to TEST fire models
and spend some time shooting them, and just as important, HAVE THEM shoot it as well as you stand next/near them and LISTEN to how LOUD they are
after this, lower costing X bows, just tend to be slower FPS, and that then means you need to be better at KNOWING ranges of deer, the GUESSING way, can bite you in the butt , invest in a decent range finder, and you will fond being successful will be a lot easier
as even the cheap x bows are pretty accurate, but wrong distance, can lead still , to misses or worse, poor hits and or lost deer!

bolts don't need to be going mach speed to kill a deer, but breadheads do need to hit vitals!
at your age, and not bashing here, but a bow that has a crank on it, might make your life easier, but that adds to costs
but a added feature of them is more consistent draws, and thus a more accurate shooting x bow! ! IMO when you can be more consistent on the draw, it DOES matter!
Old 01-31-2019, 04:05 AM
Spike

Just bought the PSE Fang 350 XT as my first xbow. Plan to shoot it for the first time today. Nothing to compare it to or with, but I'll let you know how it does from a newby perspective.

Bow shot well with no problems. I have a bad shoulder and a worse shoulder, and had no problem using the rope to load the bow. Sighted in easily. Flings arrows pretty fast. Waxed string and lubed rail per PSE recommendations and didn't notice wear or any other problems. I am satisfied.

Last edited by pootie; 02-02-2019 at 01:49 PM. Reason: update
Old 01-31-2019, 07:53 AM
Super Moderator

I expect that you'll be pleased with it. PSE makes a good product.

-Jake
Old 01-31-2019, 03:44 PM
Typical Buck

I shoot a centerpoint 370, this crossbow is pretty fast,accurate and easy on the wallet I payed 240.00 with shipping, don't need a 1500-2000 dollar crossbow in my opinion.
Old 01-31-2019, 05:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Centerpoint Crossbows are the best kept secret on the market for PRICE, SPEED and Reliability.

I am not sure how many people are aware of centerpoint bows.

Read the reviews on Amazon and prices below $300

Centerpoint Sniper 370
Mercenary
Spectre

Are just a few... shooting in the 370 fps range with AR style stocks great for youth.
I have had a lot of the big guys, ten point, Excalibur, Parker,

Centerpoint is the fastest and best quality bow under $300. I don't think many customers are aware but people are starting to figure out that this bow with the name "Crosman" behind it....is no beebee gun......... Great Quality, like I said read the amazon reviews on the Sniper. Take Care! Just my opinion
Old 01-31-2019, 07:25 PM
Typical Buck

Parker got a liquidation sale on now and have their Ambusher pretty cheap.Check it out on their site.
Old 02-17-2019, 11:33 AM
Giant Nontypical

Two things ; worrying about your age is a handicap you don't need .I am 81 going on 82 I may not be as fast or as energetic as the younger group but I took 3 deer in the county and 3 in the suburban hunt this year so may be you could plan on being around a while.
The other thing is safety first beginners often get damaged fingers or ruin a bow by shooting with out an arrow loaded.
There are a lot of good xbows out there be sure to shoot before you buy a good trigger pull is necessary for offhand accuracy, a strait bow is tougher and easy to maintain but may be a bit slower. If you plan to hunt from a tree stand and get shots at 25 yards or less a xbow in the 300 fps is more than you really need.
Old 02-17-2019, 12:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

I am in the later 70's and just bought a crossbow; the Carbon Express Heritage in the sister thread. I too have never had a crossbow before and am learning about them. The "dry fire" and fingers in front of the bow string are major hazards it seems and habits need to be made to guard against both. The crossbow I have has a 200lb. draw weight, that is heavy but manageable, at least so far. I hope you have good luck with your new crossbows, I am happy with mine even if I do not shoot a deer with it. It is a ticket to archery hunt with my sons.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.