Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
Question on bolts >

Question on bolts

Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Question on bolts

Old 03-06-2018, 04:59 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default Question on bolts

I purchased my Excalibur Ibex a couple years ago and I have a question about what bolt to get. The 20" bolts that came with the Xbow weigh 265 gr and recommend a 150 gr tip. That puts me at a total wt of 415 gr.
Can I purchase bolts that weigh in at 300 gr and use a 125 gr tip? My overall weight would be the same but would my accuracy suffer because of the difference in FOC?
Old 03-08-2018, 03:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by bronko22000
I purchased my Excalibur Ibex a couple years ago and I have a question about what bolt to get. The 20" bolts that came with the Xbow weigh 265 gr and recommend a 150 gr tip. That puts me at a total wt of 415 gr.
Can I purchase bolts that weigh in at 300 gr and use a 125 gr tip? My overall weight would be the same but would my accuracy suffer because of the difference in FOC?

If you want to shoot 125 grain heads just get heavier inserts

Also
265+150= 415
300+125 = 425

Last edited by rockport; 03-08-2018 at 03:56 AM.
Old 03-11-2018, 07:53 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by rockport
If you want to shoot 125 grain heads just get heavier inserts

Also
265+150= 415
300+125 = 425
That's not what I'm asking! Besides, it's a bit difficult to remove exoxyed inserts from shafts.
Old 03-11-2018, 08:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

That's not what I'm asking! Besides, it's a bit difficult to remove exoxyed inserts from shafts.
Well the answer is the F.O.C. arrows will probably be more accurate. It may or may not be a big deal depending on what broadheads you are shooting.

I was just trying to give you a solution for going to 125 grain head without changing arrows without knowing why you want to shoot 125 instead of 150 I thought maybe its because your preferred broadhead don't make 150 grain.

If I was concerned about F.O.C. and wanted to shoot a 125 instead of 150 thats what I would do.

Accuracy is generally better with F.O.C. bolts but you might get away with it shooting a crossbow that is relatively slow and a good flying broadhead

I would normally suggest a F.O.C. bolt and I don't want to tell you something that is wrong but I THINK you would PROBABLY be fine with that setup but it might be a little picky with broadheads. That is why I would just shoot the same bolts with heavier inserts if I wanted to shoot 150 heads instead of 125.

Even if you can't get the inserts out and have to buy new bolts at least you know it will work as it will be the same as what you have been using assuming they have been working good.

Last edited by rockport; 03-11-2018 at 08:36 PM.
Old 03-12-2018, 06:33 AM
Boone & Crockett

Thanks. I've been shooting vertical bows for almost 60 years but these crossbows are new to me. I got 4 with it and I'm down to 2. I got a deal on a dozen Carbon Express bolts at a local flea market ($20) but they weigh 300 gr.
I will likely be shooting 125 gr Slick Tricks out of it. I took a dandy buck last season with the original bolts and a 150 Slick Trick.
My second biggest buck to date. And the coolest thing about it is I called hm in with a rattling sequence and a few grunts. He was looking for a fight but got more then he bargained for!
Old 03-12-2018, 07:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks. I've been shooting vertical bows for almost 60 years but these crossbows are new to me. I got 4 with it and I'm down to 2. I got a deal on a dozen Carbon Express bolts at a local flea market ($20) but they weigh 300 gr.
I will likely be shooting 125 gr Slick Tricks out of it. I took a dandy buck last season with the original bolts and a 150 Slick Trick.
My second biggest buck to date. And the coolest thing about it is I called hm in with a rattling sequence and a few grunts. He was looking for a fight but got more then he bargained for!
Oh I see, you got a good deal on some bolts is why you want to try it.

In that case I'd just try it and see. I didn't realize you already had the bolts. I'd try the new bolts with both heads assuming you still have those too. See what works.

I'll be shooting hogs with the 150 slick tricks in a couple weeks. The good thing about the crossbow scopes is your FP and broad heads can shoot different elevation you just have to remember where each hits.

Congrats on the deer It is a lot of fun. Ive had a crossbow for probably about 20 years but just deer hunted with one for the first time last year and shot a nice buck mid Oct.
Old 09-14-2018, 10:37 AM
Typical Buck

Bronko - I shoot an Equinox with Firebolts. I don't know what shafts you have, but I had no problem boiling the inserts out and replacing with 80gr brass inserts and shoot 125 Hypodermics. It's a tack driver.