Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
Switching To A Crossbow >

Switching To A Crossbow

Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Switching To A Crossbow

Old 06-17-2018, 07:25 PM
Super Moderator

Again, I have no experience with the reverse limb bows. My crossbow is a horton that's approaching 20 years old now. So it's heavy, wide, and probably slow by todays standards. Still kills deer just fine. But I honestly would not want to carry it on an elk hunt.

When I do finally upgrade(Which won't be for another few years when my kids are ready to start hunting deer with me, I rarely use the crossbow currently but will start my kids out on one when they are ready.) I will be seriously looking into the reverse limb bows.

-Jake
Old 06-19-2018, 08:22 AM
Super Moderator

Have you thought about the Excalibur bows or are you set on the compounds? I bought a Matrix 380 s few years back and it is great. I still prefer a regular bow but when I get the xbow out it always serves its purpose. It is also very easy to draw.
Old 06-19-2018, 09:30 AM
Giant Nontypical

I like their lightness and simplicity, but not their width compared to the better compounds. I also don't like their crank system. I think that's one of the best pluses is the crank on the Tenpoint bows.
Old 07-03-2018, 06:23 AM
Fork Horn

I am having a fit with broadheads shooting off right now. G5 Monetec and Trocar 3 blades shooting 2" right and 1" low at only ten yards! This is on my Killer Instinct 350. My daughter uses a TenPoint and hers hardly changes.

I have Trocar HBX Hybrid mechincals on shipment and waiting to test them later this week. I saw other people using them like field points and hope they do. Once I get somethign working I am going to try and tune for using the G5's again. It's been highly frustrating.
Old 07-19-2018, 04:54 AM
Spike

TenPoint Stealth FX4 crossbow is my suggestion, now its up to you, the turbo is 175 and this is 185.
Old 07-21-2018, 10:47 AM
Spike

In 2017 I went to the Horton (Tenpoint) reverse limb design with the crank cocking. I would buy it again and recommend it to anyone. Came with a decent rangefinder scope, 4 arrows with a quiver.
I did buy Tenpoint uncocking arrow and when received it's a 1 time use arrow. For $10 it's a ripoff. No where in the discription does it say 1 time use.
Old 09-24-2018, 01:23 PM
Typical Buck

What did you discharge it into Grump?I have the Red Hot discharge bolt for my Parker and so far it,s be indestructible.
Old 10-04-2018, 01:13 AM
Boone & Crockett

Pete sorry about your reasons for giving up the muzzys. Last I heard you were going to be one built, a Hawken style I think you said. But anyway, don't be too hasty on spending a ton of cash on a crossbow. I got me a Center Point Sniper 370 this year after selling my Excalibur Ibex. It cost me around $235. I like it and the reviews on it are good. I took a 6 point with it this past Tuesday at 35 yards. He was quartering away and my crossbow Rage put and entry wound about 5" long before center punching his heart and busting the opposite shoulder.
What was really cool though was watching the lighted Nocturnal through the scope as it hit him. I usually wait a while before trailing an archery kill but I knew he wouldn't go far after going around a dirt mound (I hunt an old strip mining area). I was right, he only went 40 yards and left a blood trail Stevie Wonder could have followed!
Old 10-04-2018, 03:14 AM
Super Moderator

Congrats on the buck Clem

-Jake
Old 10-04-2018, 06:01 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Bocajnala
Congrats on the buck Clem

-Jake
Thanks Jake. I use the crossbow occasionally. But this year, with me being in Texas and Florida all summer I wasn't able to shoot my Mathews Chill enough. I just don't have the time to practice every day like I used to..Even being retired there always seems to be something more pressing that needs to be done.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.