HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Crossbows (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/crossbows-76/)
-   -   Old Crossbow requires new string Help!! (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/crossbows/417716-old-crossbow-requires-new-string-help.html)

kernow 04-06-2018 03:08 AM

Old Crossbow requires new string Help!!

Back in 1970/71 I bought a Barnett Black Panther crossbow in kit form. It has a wooden stock and a metal alloy prod. It has not been used in years and I am trying to resurrect it. All I need to do now is make a string, however what length do I need to make it?

The prod measures 34 ½ Inches / 88 cm knock to knock and the distance from the prod to the trigger mechanism is 15 Inches / 38 cm. Can anyone help/advise?

archeryrob 04-08-2018 07:13 AM

Does it not have a string now to copy? Do you know how to make a string or asking someone to tell you how long to make it?

Have you called or e-mails Barrnet Customer Service?

kernow 04-08-2018 09:20 AM

Hi archery rob, I contacted Barnett and even sent them photos of the xbow but they were no help and even denied that it was one of their bows, however the plans that came with the kit definitely had "Barnett Black Panther" and their logo. Bear in mind this was some 48 years ago. I make my own longbow strings and whilst I know that a crossbow string is a little different I am confident that I can make one. My problem is that I do not have an old string and therefore do not know how long to make the new one. I guess I'll just have to experiment.

Oldtimr 04-08-2018 09:57 AM

Are you putting it back in service to hunt with or for target shooting? If it was for hunting, you would most likely be better off to buy a modern crossbow rather than a 50 year old bow. You should probably have the limbs checked out as well before you draw it.

GOOD OLE BOY 04-08-2018 05:59 PM

Just take it to a pro shop for them to check it out for you.

archeryrob 04-09-2018 07:22 AM

Well I would imaging a 45 years old crossbow is a fiberglass recurve bow and I don't see why he couldn't shoot it still. It's not going to dry out or anythign else like that. My recurves are 50 years old or more as I inherited them.

I used to make strings for my selfbows that we 12 stand (6 wraps) and serve them. Then i tied knots in them until they fit correctly and measured it and made a proper one. Maybe there is a better way, but its the way I learned being self taught before YouTube. :biggrin:

kernow 04-09-2018 10:23 AM

Thanks to Oldtimr, It will be for target shooting only as Bow hunting is Illegal in the UK.

Thanks to Good Ole Boy, but you probably have plenty of pro shops over in states but here in the UK they are few and far between and none within traveling distance of me.

Whilst it is old it has a metal alloy recurve prod which I am happy is still viable. So experimentation it will be.

Oldtimr 04-09-2018 10:41 AM

I am surprised Crossbows are legal to possess in the UK. Perhaps one of the pro shops you do have could help you out over the telephone or perhaps if you asked them if you shipped it to them they could build you a proper string.

GOOD OLE BOY 04-11-2018 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by kernow (Post 4332654)
Thanks to Oldtimr, It will be for target shooting only as Bow hunting is Illegal in the UK.

Thanks to Good Ole Boy, but you probably have plenty of pro shops over in states but here in the UK they are few and far between and none within traveling distance of me.

Whilst it is old it has a metal alloy recurve prod which I am happy is still viable. So experimentation it will be.

Sorry,I did,t know you were from the UK.Good luck.

60X Custom Strings 05-27-2018 05:33 AM

As mentioned above I would try a local pro shop. With any luck they would have some crossbow strings that they could test fit and even look the bow over to make sure it's safe to use.