HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Crossbows (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/crossbows-76/)
-   -   Best broadhead for xbows ?? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/crossbows/417040-best-broadhead-xbows.html)

tcfeet 01-27-2018 02:16 PM

Best broadhead for xbows ??

New to crossbows, which broad heads are the best as far
as shooting like a field point? Not interested in mechanical
points..

Liv2hunt 01-28-2018 05:12 AM

Now that my brother has gotten away from using rage mechanical to Excalibur Bolt Cutter fixed blade his killing percentage is 100% they are deadly accurate and best of all on angling shots they still work. Even with my compound I will never shoot a mechanical broad head again! I shoot Muzzy 4 blade that are awesome so I am sure they have crossbow heads that are good as well.

grinder67 01-28-2018 07:28 AM

muzzy 4 blade

rockport 01-28-2018 08:52 AM

Go heavier and look into F.O.C that with help fixed heads fly right.

Slick tricks, Muzzy trocar, NAP razor, G5 montec, bolt cutters, exodus, shuttle t-lock,stingers, ramcats are some broadheads that are known to fly well.

4 blade muzzys are not...they might fly good for you but its not high %

Hatfield Hunter 01-29-2018 06:42 AM

Have shot Muzzy 130 grain 4 blades for many years, will put them up against ANY other head, sad that they are no longer made!! If anybody has some I will take them off yer hands

grinder67 01-29-2018 08:15 AM

I shot satalite mag 125's, spitfire 125s,spitfire xp125's, nap razor's and the 4 blade muzzy 100 grain shot much better than any other I tried

rockport 01-29-2018 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by grinder67 (Post 4327249)
I shot satalite mag 125's, spitfire 125s,spitfire xp125's, nap razor's and the 4 blade muzzy 100 grain shot much better than any other I tried

Yeah, it does happen ive seen them fly great out of a few setups but its less likely than some of the others(more of an exception than a rule).

Thats good news for you ....they are good broadheads and the price is right.

Are you shooting a crossbow or regular compound bow? What fletching are you running.

The NAP razor generally fly really well.

Hatfield Hunter 01-29-2018 11:03 AM

For many many years I shot the 130 grain 4 blade muzzys in my Hoyt 65 pound, last 5 years outta my Barnett xbow at about 380 feet per sec claimed velocity---you should see the deer drop or run only 30 -40 yards when hit with this set up ! Rockport I love your wisdom and thoughts but you are off on this one 6 guys in camp for past 20 years all shoot muzzy 4 blades all mature guys who have been bow hunting for a long time

rockport 01-29-2018 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by Hatfield Hunter (Post 4327259)
For many many years I shot the 130 grain 4 blade muzzys in my Hoyt 65 pound, last 5 years outta my Barnett xbow at about 380 feet per sec claimed velocity---you should see the deer drop or run only 30 -40 yards when hit with this set up ! Rockport I love your wisdom and thoughts but you are off on this one 6 guys in camp for past 20 years all shoot muzzy 4 blades all mature guys who have been bow hunting for a long time

I don't think I am.

Are they shooting crossbows? If your setup right they all fly good with a regular compound but I stand by what I said. Some of the others fly easier than the muzzys.

I'm certainly not saying they are bad broadheads.

There are factors that must be in play. Are these guys shooting slow bows? Heavy arrows? Long draws? heavy F.O.C? I'd say you are front heavy(f.o.c.) with 130 grains which is probably why yours fly well.

Maybe I shouldn't say some of the others fly "better" because the muzzys will fly just as well in the right setup. Maybe I should say some of the others are "more forgiving"

I'm not knocking muzzys, some other really good heads are the same way like the original thunderheads. They just seem to catch to much air in a lot of cases specifically high speeds with lite arrows.

Ive got a couple buddies that shoot them but they shoot relatively slow with long heavy arrows.

Standard Slick tricks and viper tricks for example are generally much more forgiving. Muzzy has been designing some more forgiving flyers the last few years though like the Trocar

I'm glad they fly good for you, like I said definitely a good broadhead at a good price.

grinder67 01-29-2018 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by rockport (Post 4327252)
Yeah, it does happen ive seen them fly great out of a few setups but its less likely than some of the others(more of an exception than a rule).

Thats good news for you ....they are good broadheads and the price is right.

Are you shooting a crossbow or regular compound bow? What fletching are you running.

The NAP razor generally fly really well.

Out of a centerpoint sniper 370, I could not get any head to fly constant with the arrows that came with it so I bought some Black Eagle Executioner arrows. They helped broad head flight across the board, but I had an old 4 blade muzzy laying around that flew better than all the other ones that I had to try. I do not hunt with this crossbow yet, just getting it ready in case my shoulders get to the point that I can not shoot my bowtech any longer