Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
New season extender >

New season extender

Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

New season extender

Old 01-11-2018, 10:11 AM
Boone & Crockett

I went to the indoor range at the shop where I bought my crossbow today and got it solidly dialed in at 20 yards, dead center, from a rest. I was shooting three cross bolt groups that were touching, I was worried about damaging a crossbolt. The I took the rage broad head off one of my cross bolts that are dedicated to broad heads, I have 3 for target and 3 for hunting. I put the target rage broad head on that bolt did not remove he battery from the the Ignitor nock because I wanted to see if that wold change the flight and POI as well. I am happy to say the hunting bolt with the lighted nock hit exactly where the target arrows hit, no difference. I then shot off hand for a couple of rounds, all in the bulls eye but obviously not as tight as from the rest. I am happy with the outfit, all I have to do is shoot at 30 yards to see which of the lower cross hairs I must use for that yardage. At least for now, I have set a limit of 30 yards to shoot at a deer.

Last edited by Oldtimr; 01-11-2018 at 10:13 AM.
Old 01-11-2018, 11:54 AM
Typical Buck

Oldtimer here is a tip for you---Throwaway the multi line scope, especially if you are going to keep shots 35 yards and less-----purchase a heavy crosshair 1.5 to 4 power scope--I purchased a bushnell, dawn to dusk for about $75.00 you can see the heavy crosshairs better in low light, you will not confuse or think about which line to use, with my xbow I can shoot 10 yards to 30 with only 1 inch difference, you can wiggle more difference in impact than that, I also love to use a single shooting stick
Old 01-11-2018, 12:12 PM
Boone & Crockett

I have been thinking about doing the very same thing this spring because I don't think the scope is clear enough to suit me. For now I will use the one I that came with the cross bow for practice till I get use to the cross bow.
Old 01-11-2018, 01:42 PM
Super Moderator

The ones that don't hate them only don't because they haven't had them fail YET.

As Rock said, you're probably shooting fast enough that you'll be ok. I learned my lesson two years ago while shooting and older (and much slower) crossbow.

-Jake
Old 01-13-2018, 01:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

I really like the multi reticle scopes. All my rifles and shotguns have them to. Most of the package deals come with pretty crappy scopes. Nikon and Hawke make a quality crossbow scope. I would definitely stick with a crossbow specific scope.
Old 01-13-2018, 01:24 PM
Boone & Crockett

Rocky,I will keep that in mind when I look.
Old 01-15-2018, 06:27 AM
Typical Buck

do ya think a guy really need 7 or even ten lines on their xbow scope to shoot deer out to 35 yards ?????? Really ?
Old 01-15-2018, 02:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Hatfield Hunter
do ya think a guy really need 7 or even ten lines on their xbow scope to shoot deer out to 35 yards ?????? Really ?
I will shoot a deer at 50 no problem from a rest and I'll will use 4 pins to get out to 50. The Nikon crossbow scope has 5.

On targets I'll extend my range to the max. Practicing at 100 makes shooting 40 easy.

At 368 fps that arrow will go 50 yards in a hurry. However even if I didn't feel comfortable at that range on live animals I'd want to shoot targets at longer ranges. I just don't see any reason not to use a crossbow specific scope.

35 yards is very conservative for a 368fps crossbow IMO.

I would suggest a 40 yard limit to start and adjust accordingly as you practice at 50 and 60. My further than 50 I'd be afraid the deer might move before the arrow got there.

Oldtimr do you have a range finder?
Old 01-15-2018, 03:18 PM
Boone & Crockett

Yes I have a range finder.
Old 01-15-2018, 05:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

I shot a deer at 40 yards last night no problem. From my experience so far the animals have no reaction what so ever to the noise of the crossbow. Ive always said its the sound of the arrow they react to not the bow and by the time they hear that crossbow bolt its to late.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.