Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
Tuning crossbows? >

Tuning crossbows?

Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Tuning crossbows?

Old 12-13-2017, 07:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Tuning crossbows?

Does a crossbow require tuning the way a compound or traditional bow Does?
Is there even anything to adjust to change how well the bolt flies?
Old 12-17-2017, 02:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Anybody alive out there?
Old 12-17-2017, 06:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

yes many things on AN X bow can need care, rails need lube, strings wear and stretch, cams (some have bearings that can go dry, limbs are NOT made to left in full cock position for LONG periods of time, (yet I know countless guys that to, some for weeks or more at a time????)
HOW you load a X box is a very critical part to accuracy, just as form is when shooting a vertical bow
triggers can wear, safety, and all parts on them, there all bow's and as such care and checking on things from time to time are all part of using them safely
lets also not forget about recoil on them and scopes and mounts needing checking as time goes by!
and zero's as again strings can stretch and limbs can loose some energy if left cocked for long periods of time and GOD forbid anyone dry fires , all the more so if done more than one time
and don't laugh, I seen many folks do that too!(once seen a guy in a bow shop dry fire a dozen or more vertical bows before someone said something to him>>?? NO lie here!
he thought it was fine to do so? was his answer when they asked him WHAT he was doing! LOL

SO< yes, X bows need proper care as as bow does!
Old 03-04-2018, 01:48 PM
Spike

The type of crossbow you buy also determines what is required as far as maintenance is concerned. I bought a recurve style that has no wheels to worry about going out of tune or needing replacing. It is so accurate that I do not shoot at the same bullseye without first removing my arrow even at 60 yards. I can replace my own string in less than 2 minutes sitting in my enclosed blind with no extra tools need other than my stringing aid which is a 3' piece of rope I carry in my backpack. The crossbow I purchased also comes with a Lifetime warranty on everything except the string which I have learned to re-serve myself, and always have an extra in my backpack for emergencies. I have applied a small drop of blue loctite to most bolts and no longer worry about anything coming loose. The only thing I need to watch is my brace height as the string stretches while target practicing when the string is new, and it only takes a minute or two to re-adjust it by adding a couple twists using my stringing aid.

Hope this helps.
Ron.