Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

The Ravin?????

Old 01-22-2018, 08:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think if I was in that market I'd be looking at the new tenpoints
Old 01-22-2018, 08:44 PM
Super Moderator

A good hunting buddy has shot one. Very impressive.

As for everyone saying their bow will kill a deer "just as dead"...

Yes, and no..... I've killed plenty of deer with my 15+ year old crossbow. And I'll continue to kill deer with it when I choose to take it out. But it won't do what a Ravin will do. Not even close.

IMO the ravin is really TOO much of a good thing. I'll never shoot deer at the range these things are able to accurately shoot at.

-Jake
Old 01-22-2018, 11:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Bocajnala
A good hunting buddy has shot one. Very impressive.

As for everyone saying their bow will kill a deer "just as dead"...

Yes, and no..... I've killed plenty of deer with my 15+ year old crossbow. And I'll continue to kill deer with it when I choose to take it out. But it won't do what a Ravin will do. Not even close.

IMO the ravin is really TOO much of a good thing. I'll never shoot deer at the range these things are able to accurately shoot at.

-Jake
I wish they would focus more on shootability at this point. I'd rather they make them smoother and quieter rather than faster.

My crossbow shoots 380fps, could not really be more accurate within reasonable hunting range, is pretty compact and cost $400

I could no doubt kill a deer at 100 yards if it would stand still but I keep it 50 or less because I think any more than that there is just to much that could go wrong with any crossbow.

Centerpoint makes a really good shooting 370fps crossbow for like $250. If you are looking to get into something really good for the money check them out. Centerpoint sniper 370..It just cannot be beat for the money.
Old 01-23-2018, 03:42 AM
Spike

Will be at the "Great American Outdoor Show" in Harrisburg in a few weeks and hope to try out a few different bows so that I have a better idea of where I plan on spending my $'s. A friend has the "CenterPoint Sniper" and it just seems to good to be true, would love to shoot both it and the "Ravin" side by side to justify the huge cost difference, can't believe it would be worth it. To each his own, if you earned the money, you can spend it as you wish. They all seem to kill, and dead is dead. Remember shot placement and practice, practice, practice.
Old 01-23-2018, 05:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

I’ve shot at deer at 25 yds and they jumped the string. I would not think of wasting an arrow trying to kill a deer at 100 yds!!! The deer would be long gone.
Old 01-28-2018, 02:43 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Central PA Sportsman
Will be at the "Great American Outdoor Show" in Harrisburg in a few weeks and hope to try out a few different bows so that I have a better idea of where I plan on spending my $'s. A friend has the "CenterPoint Sniper" and it just seems to good to be true, would love to shoot both it and the "Ravin" side by side to justify the huge cost difference, can't believe it would be worth it. To each his own, if you earned the money, you can spend it as you wish. They all seem to kill, and dead is dead. Remember shot placement and practice, practice, practice.
I have read some threads about poor CS with CenterPoint lately.Remember they are Chinese.I can call Parker with a issue and they will take care of it pronto.
Old 01-28-2018, 04:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by GOOD OLE BOY
I have read some threads about poor CS with CenterPoint lately.Remember they are Chinese.I can call Parker with a issue and they will take care of it pronto.
Oh if you buy a centerpoint I certainly wouldn't expect customer service to be on par with some of the U.S. companies like parker for sure but they are for sure really good value and good shooting crossbows for the money.

Be a good one to buy if you wanted to give crossbow hunting a try then maybe upgrade later. I expect crossbow technology to really take off over the next few years.

Last edited by rockport; 01-28-2018 at 04:22 PM.