Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Need Tips!

Old 09-01-2016, 11:34 PM
Spike

Default Need Tips!

Hey all, so I've never been hunting before and am finally getting to go with a friend. I just bought a crossbow (x-force 300 dx) and could really use some tips. We plan on going hog hunting and I have no idea what I'm doing yet. Not sure what i will need to bring or how exactly to hunt boar. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited by TSpadaro.3; 09-01-2016 at 11:36 PM. Reason: Did not put full name of crossbow.
Old 09-12-2016, 02:01 PM
Spike

I'd recommend to hunt from a treestand, hogs can be dangerous and crossbow hunting is all about getting as close as possible. Only shoot when you get the hog where you want it to be and you want to make sure to get a clean hit. If you cannot assure this don't shoot.

Know where to hit a hog!

Make sure your crossbow is in proper condition and cock your bow before you get on the treestand. Only load your crossbow when you intent to shoot.

Check out my guide if you are not sure whats necessary for a proper crossbow.

http://finecrossbows.com/proper-crossbow-maintenance/

Finally try to be as silent as possible.

Happy hunting

~Brian
Old 09-12-2016, 04:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

BrianTodd89: a link with good information. Thanks for sharing.
Old 09-13-2016, 06:15 AM
Spike

Thank you for your feedback
Old 09-13-2016, 04:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'd start with taking a GOOD hunter safety course, and then an archery course, so your SAFE
to yourself and others

you will learn a LOT there
next MY suggestion will be PRACTICE practice and more, making shots and KNOWING your X bow, so when the time comes your NOT guessing yourself
muscle memory will kick in , as once a animal is in front of you, adrenaline can get the better of many NEW hunters, and all that practice will help overcome it

also, when your taking a hunter safety course, you can many times get tips and even meet good friends that you can progress together and learn from each others
or join a archery club that is into X bows

knowledge is power as they say
but these are NOT toys, they can kill, so safety first!
good luck to you!