HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Crossbows (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/crossbows-76/)
-   -   PSE Copperhead problems (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/crossbows/408590-pse-copperhead-problems.html)

hunt12ga 08-31-2016 09:07 AM

PSE Copperhead problems

A family member passed along an old PSE Copperhead when he upgraded. He told me that he had recently replaced the string. After a couple days of shooting, I was very pleased with how consistently it shot, and my 10 yr-old son was stacking shots at 30y. I was planning to let him hunt with it his fall. We were using 20" carbon arrows and 100gr field points.
While shooting one day, I fired and the cables busted. The arrow flew perfectly and struck its intended point, so I'm assuming the nock didn't jump the string. The cables had broke right where they exit the cam slot. Fast forward 2 weeks, I had purchased and installed new cables (they come with new cams) and it was still dead-on the bullseye. I shot maybe 30 rounds over the course of a couple days, and my daughter shot it a few times. Once again, when fired, the cables busted at the cams. And once again, I know the arrow didn't jump the string because it flew true and struck the bullseye.
This time, not only the cables busted, but also one of the spacers that the cable loops ride on.
Thinking it may be a wrong string, I checked online and PSE calls for a 17 1/2" string, and the one my cousin had installed was 18" outside-to-outside. Is this enough to cause the problem? Anybody have any ideas? Id love to get this shooting again because it shot so well, but I hate the idea of buying cables and a new string just to have it happen again.
Thanks for any input- rw

Buckhunter46755 08-31-2016 02:42 PM

I would say it is a good possibility the longer string caused this.

Hatfield Hunter 09-01-2016 06:01 AM

ask to send it back or take to a competent dealer----I would not shoot it at all for now---ever have a string slap you in the face or other body part or a blown up limb ???

hunt12ga 09-01-2016 01:39 PM

It will be going back to a licensed PSE dealer to be checked over and repaired before it is ever fired again. Especially since my kids will be shooting it. I want to be completely sure that is safe. rw

GOOD OLE BOY 09-04-2016 05:49 PM

Good luck.

littlearrow 09-09-2016 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by hunt12ga (Post 4271367)
A family member passed along an old PSE Copperhead when he upgraded. He told me that he had recently replaced the string. After a couple days of shooting, I was very pleased with how consistently it shot, and my 10 yr-old son was stacking shots at 30y. I was planning to let him hunt with it his fall. We were using 20" carbon arrows and 100gr field points.
While shooting one day, I fired and the cables busted. The arrow flew perfectly and struck its intended point, so I'm assuming the nock didn't jump the string. The cables had broke right where they exit the cam slot. Fast forward 2 weeks, I had purchased and installed new cables (they come with new cams) and it was still dead-on the bullseye. I shot maybe 30 rounds over the course of a couple days, and my daughter shot it a few times. Once again, when fired, the cables busted at the cams. And once again, I know the arrow didn't jump the string because it flew true and struck the bullseye.
This time, not only the cables busted, but also one of the spacers that the cable loops ride on.
Thinking it may be a wrong string, I checked online and PSE calls for a 17 1/2" string, and the one my cousin had installed was 18" outside-to-outside. Is this enough to cause the problem? Anybody have any ideas? Id love to get this shooting again because it shot so well, but I hate the idea of buying cables and a new string just to have it happen again.
Thanks for any input- rw

That string as measured 18" would be very close to what you required but was not measured properly. Put a 1/4" rod in each string loop and pull tight. Now measure from the out side of each rod which will be the inside of the loop. A few twists would have brought string to the proper length.
Check the cam area for rough spots or sharp edges. If you installed the new cams then you may be torqueing the bow which may have caused the problem.
All the best.