Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Cube target

Old 10-05-2015, 08:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Cube target

So I bought a couple targets for my xbow. I got a 24# Cube from Am. Whitetail for broadhead shooting. Stopped my bolt just fine, however it was nearly impossible to remove. After several attempt with a puller aide and working bolt back/forth & up/down it did come out, but it shouldn't be that hard. It appears there is some kind of layer on the inside that holds up the broadhead - once past that bolt come out effortlessly. Anyone else have this issue? Planning on calling Am. Whitetail to see if they have any suggestions/help.
Old 10-05-2015, 03:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have the Morrell Yellow Jacket Broadhead target. Shooting it with a compound bow is hard enough to pull the broadheads. Now try shooting it with the Barnett Ghost 410 at 400 feet per second. I had to drive the arrow through, unscrew the broad head, then drive the shaft back flush. I then used a drift punch to drive the shaft back out farther. Using an arrow gripper I finally got the shaft out. Carbon arrows are the worst as they generate a lot of heat entering the target. When they eventually cool, they seem to bond to the target filling. Aluminum works the opposite as they dissipate the heat and even though hard to pull, they are still much easier than carbon. All the best.
Old 10-07-2015, 04:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default I still make diy targets for bows

Seems to be a problem of velocity, weight of the bolt and the needed compression of the manufactured target.
Try a rubberized "jar top" remover from a dollar store.
Old 10-07-2015, 04:20 AM
JW
Super Moderator

What type of puller aid did you use?

I agree it the bolt is in there on my cubes. But my Bednar Puller helps these old arthritic fingers get it back out.

JW
Old 10-07-2015, 06:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by JW
What type of puller aid did you use?

I agree it the bolt is in there on my cubes. But my Bednar Puller helps these old arthritic fingers get it back out.

JW
The puller I used is called "Allen Hand Saver Arrow Puller". It comes with a belt clip and has the word "Allen" on the puller. It is a good, well designed puller.
It is hard enough to pull field points, let alone trying to pull the broadheads. All the best.
Old 10-07-2015, 07:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

I don't have one of those and can't offer you any advice but I use a Rinehart xbow 2 go target and have no issues removing my bolts with broadheads. Have only used it for a couple of months so far so will have to see how it holds up over the seasons.
Old 10-09-2015, 07:53 AM
Spike

Thumbs down Target

So.......is there a target made that arrows come out easy? I bought a block target and I'm returning it this weekend.
Old 10-09-2015, 05:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by k9hohriver
So.......is there a target made that arrows come out easy? I bought a block target and I'm returning it this weekend.
Check this link: http://www.archerytargets.com
I just ordered: The Cube Hybrid HC250 HD 22"x22"x20"
The Broadhead Core for the Cube Hybrid BH270 HD Heavy Duty. They show several videos and also comparisons of their target to other brands. I have some of the brands they compare to and can vouch for the hard pulls.
Being I am from Manitoba, Canada, I expect it in approximately 3 weeks. Any items ordered from the eastern U.S.A. comes to Customs at Toronto, Ontario and anything ordered from the western U.S.A. comes to Customs at Vancouver, British Columbia, then forwarded on to me.
I do a lot of target shooting and even more in the winter months so any target I shoot gets well tested. All the best.
Old 10-10-2015, 09:32 AM
Spike

Hey! thank you!

New to all this and I'm already leaning towards building my own bolts.

Seems like it is a major investment to get started in anything....

Where is the best place to buy everything in bulk?

Thanks again!

k9
Old 10-11-2015, 04:49 AM
JW
Super Moderator

Here isthe Allen Handsaver ArrowPuller

Here the Bednar arrow puller

The principle behind both is gripping the shaft better which enables you to remove from the target better.

And with arthritic grip like my old gnarly fingers and knuckles it makes the task far easier which also stops me from breaking or bending shafts.
JW

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.