Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
Target suggestions? >

Target suggestions?

Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Target suggestions?

Old 07-16-2015, 02:02 PM
Spike

Default Target suggestions?

Need a new target for my excal Phoenix. Something that can handle field points and broad heads. Looking to spend 50-100 bucks. Any opinions on the block cb16? Thinking about spending a few more bucks to get that rinehart 18 in 1.
Old 07-17-2015, 01:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have a few "Black Hole" targets that have taken at least 2000 arrows each and they still stop all my rigs. Be advised though, NO target can take a multitude of broadhead shots and still function. The heads slice out the foam. They can take a good few but I would only use them a few times just to check impact points. One of my Black Hole targets is specifically for Broadhead tests. It's probably taken 100, maybe 150 broadheads and still works well but it is getting chewed up. You can pick them up for around 60 bucks most places. I think the last one I bought was 58. I use multiple targets when practicing from stand height. Get the wife to move them around and retrieve arrows for me. Then she gets up in the stand and I do that for her.
Old 07-17-2015, 04:14 PM
Spike

I notice they aren't crossbow specific. Do the stop the arrows ok? I have a similar target but it's only good for my recurve and compound.
Old 07-17-2015, 06:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well, my fastest bow is 328fps through the chrony and is strung at 95.5 pounds throwing 523 grains total and it only buries about half the arrow at 10 yards so yeah I think it would handle a crossbow well enough. I had some older Black hole targets that weren't as good as they are nowadays. The ones I have now are like this

The old ones I had were like this

So far, the new ones have stood up very well. The old ones were pretty much shot out at around 2000 arrows and were starting to let arrows get through to the fletch.
Old 07-17-2015, 07:14 PM
JW
Super Moderator

I use a Block and then a Bednar Bolt puller due to my poor grip strength.

JW
Old 07-17-2015, 11:43 PM
Spike

The older style all black one is the one I have. I'll pick up one of the new ones.Thanks again
Old 07-19-2015, 03:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

For field points, I use a feed bag stuffed tight full of rags. Horizontal, about the same size as a deer's body. Stops everything. 2 finger withdrawal.
Old 07-19-2015, 01:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default I adapt if I have too

Fortunately, I don't shoot a high speed crossbow which tears up a target more; use the hunting broadheads for sighting in only ; have more than one or even four targets on a face, and am still happy with my diy target, made for twenty years, light enough to carry to my private target range.

I sure would hate to have to adapt with a crossbow. Good luck.
Looks like a cost to using crossbows.
Old 07-19-2015, 04:09 PM
Spike

Tough to get the best of both worlds so I'm getting two targets. I ended up getting a bag target for field points. It's nice pulling them out with 2 fingers. I think I'll get another target just for broad heads later. During the season I usually shoot just broad heads.
Old 07-21-2015, 01:54 PM
Spike

This might not be directly helpful but I saw a video of a guy practicing on body armor. I think he was testing the durability of the armor but it was cool to see. I think going out in an empty field and setting up sandbags or bags full of mattress or couch stuffing is another option. Hope that helps!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.