Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
entry level crossbow >

entry level crossbow

Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

entry level crossbow

Old 08-11-2015, 05:23 PM
Typical Buck

I,ve been seein the Wicked Ridge combos on sale a lot lately for under your pricepoint.
Old 08-16-2015, 12:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by scottycoyote
id also look on craigslist or facebook selling pages. I picked up a sweet excalibur magnum crossbow 2 years ago, with cocking device (not the rope but the actual unit you hook to the back stock and crank), quiver scope and target for $350....probably was close to 1000 new. Any used excalibur, tenpoint, etc would probably be better than an entry level xbow...just have to look them over and judge the wear.
If it were me I would probably do like scottycyote and look for a lightly used re-curve from the Excalibur line.

I picked up a mint condition Excalibur Vortex with the "right stuff" package + some more extras for $500 shipped on eBay when I bought mine.

Sure, there are several quality brands out there, but IMO nothing beats the quality and simplicity of a re-curve Excalibur X-Bow. And they are spot-on deadly accurate.
Old 09-09-2015, 08:50 AM
Spike

I was also told that Barnett is poor quality. I was hoping to pick up a beginner xbow for under $200 from Dick's but the guy there guided more toward everything $500+ not sure it it was an upsell attempt or if everything below that point really was garbage. Either way I left without buying anything and will stick to my PSE compound this season I think
Old 09-09-2015, 09:12 AM
Fork Horn

I am pleased with the Barnett Recruit crossbow I got along with the cube to catch the bolts.

While I am a hunter with more than 60 years it's been with guns.

When they ok'd the crossbow for hunting here I got one to play with.

I like it's looks and to shoot it once in a while in the basement. It's quiet and does not bother who's upstairs.

Old 09-11-2015, 02:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by scottycoyote
id also look on craigslist or facebook selling pages. I picked up a sweet excalibur magnum crossbow 2 years ago, with cocking device (not the rope but the actual unit you hook to the back stock and crank), quiver scope and target for $350....probably was close to 1000 new. Any used excalibur, tenpoint, etc would probably be better than an entry level xbow...just have to look them over and judge the wear.

Several years back I found a Excalibur Vortex with the "Right Stuff" package and a bunch more extras on eBay for $500 shipped. That was one of the best deals I have found. Also the bow had only been shot a few times. Everthing appeared like brand new. Even the fletchings on the original arrows (bolts) where in perfect shape. I have killed several deer with this bow and love it as much today as when I got it.

There are several nice bows out there as mentioned.

But IMO one cannot go wrong with any of the Excals. The simple maintenance of a re-curve is a big plus as well. Not to mention Excals superior overall quality and super customers service and warranty in the rare event you will need it.

Another thing with Excals is if you possess the bow it is covered by warranty. Though not stated, they (excal) really don't seem to be concerned whether one is the original owner or the 2nd, 3rd, etc.

PS - though some have had okay luck with the Barnetts, I would personally stay clear of them. They just have pretty poor reviews and are known for "blowing up"... at least the older models.

Last edited by Buckhunter46755; 09-11-2015 at 02:53 PM.
Old 09-14-2015, 08:44 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by Buckhunter46755

PS - though some have had okay luck with the Barnetts, I would personally stay clear of them. They just have pretty poor reviews and are known for "blowing up"... at least the older models.
Yea I watched a few video reviews of people saying stay clear of them and showing the result of what happened when they blew up...strings whipping around and slashing them, lacerations, and even stories about losing a finger. Too much negative reviews for me to ever get one and even chance it...
Old 09-22-2015, 06:48 PM
Spike

Call Danny Miller at Horizontal Archery, (Excalibur Dealer) he has used trade ins and can hook you up. Best guy ever..PeashooterJoe
Old 10-05-2015, 08:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have really liked my Barnett Raptor FX. $340 from Nachez last year.
Old 07-02-2017, 04:49 AM
Spike

I think you shouldnt hunt wild animals because they also have spirits like us
Old 07-02-2017, 05:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Alfonso891979
I think you shouldnt hunt wild animals because they also have spirits like us
You really think this, right?