Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
Barnett Strings/Cables Question >

Barnett Strings/Cables Question

Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Barnett Strings/Cables Question

Old 07-10-2014, 05:35 PM
Fork Horn

Default Barnett Strings/Cables Question

Thinking of getting my 9 yr old grandson a Recruit. But, I have read several posts complaining of string and cable problems on the Recruit. Is that still the case on newer Recruits?

Thanks
Old 07-11-2014, 04:12 AM
Fork Horn

IMO you would be far better off getting him a Wicked Ridge crossbow. Better company, great warranty, extremely dependable, terrific customer service.Wicked Ridge Crossbows made by TenPoint, are so far ahead of Barnett, there is no way for comparison.
Old 07-11-2014, 05:37 AM
Fork Horn

OneBear, The problem I have had so far is finding one to fit him in the stock, thus the Recruit with the adjustable stock.

Thanks,
Jim
Old 07-11-2014, 01:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

CAMX has an adjustable LOP stock. Darn good hunting X-Bow I might add.
Old 07-12-2014, 05:09 AM
Fork Horn

Make a phone call to David at Wyvern Creations. 603-659-0575 He will help you make the RIGHT decision. It will be the best phone call you can make
Old 07-12-2014, 06:44 AM
Fork Horn

One Bear, I have talked to Dave and he suggest the Parker Challenger. But I have read so much about them eating strings and limbs cracking. What is your take on the Parker?

Jim
Old 07-12-2014, 07:25 AM
Fork Horn

I haven't owned a Parker for several years so I really can't speak to current production. If I was in your position I would stay away from Barnett. Chose a crossbow from a company that offers better quality, reliability and great warranty/customer service.

Ten Point, Wicked Ridge or Excalibur if you want to go with a recurve . You can always cut the stock down for him and then make it longer when he needs the length. You can find a replacement stock fairly easy when the time comes
Old 08-24-2014, 06:47 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by redmag
Thinking of getting my 9 yr old grandson a Recruit. But, I have read several posts complaining of string and cable problems on the Recruit. Is that still the case on newer Recruits?

Thanks
Redmag - I have 2 Barnett Crossbows - a Ghost 410 with close to two thousand shots on the original string and cables, and a Barnett Raptor (big brother to the Recruit Compound) with over 500 shots on original string and cables. The key is to use the BARNETT LUBE WAX - and use it liberally every 10-15 shots. I mean LIBERALLY, my string and cables look wet. I've had absolutely no issues with my bows, I shoot my 410 out to 100 yards with consistent 3" or smaller groups.

There are a lot of Barnett haters because of past problems at Barnett - they've cleaned up A LOT. Customer Service has improved, products have improved and they are one of the longest running crossbow manufactures out there. Barnett has great products at affordable prices. You can't get the speeds you get from a Barnett at the price you pay for a Barnett with other crossbows. The Recruit Compound is a GREAT little package - I shot my buddies the other day. My Raptor is getting 332 on the chrono - his Recruit is getting 318... OVER advertised speeds, both bows. I don't think you're going to regret buying the Recruit. Just read the instructions, follow them to a "T" and you should be good.

Now, all that being said - ANY manufacturer can have a bad bow, or a bad run of bows. I've had very good luck with Barnett CS whenever I've called them. Mostly for questions, but I believe them to be one of the best IMHO. Head over to crossbow nation, check out the forums over there also - the Barnett specific forum is the largest on that forum.

Last edited by jareese; 08-24-2014 at 06:51 AM. Reason: additons
Old 06-28-2015, 04:03 PM
Spike

The recruit crossbow string is subpar. We sell twice as many strings for this bow then any other model.