Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
Sticker Shock!!!!! >

Sticker Shock!!!!!

Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Sticker Shock!!!!!

Old 10-27-2014, 10:59 PM
Spike

I paid the money in 2011 for my Tenpoint Stealth XLT, for one reason. Being medically disabled, they had the only crossbow on the market with the Accudraw system. I will not be afraid to buy another Tenpoint if the need arises, great quality, excellent customer service.
Old 10-28-2014, 01:54 PM
Typical Buck

I have a Excalibur Phoenix got it off E bay for 340.00 Had it for 4 years. Really good shooter.
Old 11-05-2014, 12:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have about 5500 invested in 5 crossbows witch isn't hard to do but no way would I buy a 1600+ crossbow,add a dozen matched BEE arrows broad heads and a good scope your at about 21 2200 bucks just for 1 bow. Ok ya I would but I would have to sell what I have then I would buy a Carbon Extra CLS yes I would but like rifles and handguns you just can't own one hahaha.
Old 11-12-2014, 05:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

I bought a used Excalibur Vortex TH with the "Right Stuff" package several years ago for $500. The previous owner had money problems so he sold the CB to the 1st 500 bucks. The CB looked brand new and could tell it had only been shot a handful of times. (no string wear, original arrows like new, etc.) May not find a deal like that everyday, but they are deals out there if you look. Under normal circumstances I usually avoid used bows, guns, etc. because I like a warranty. However, Excalibur stood by their warranty even though I was 2nd owner. The Vari-Zone scope fogged up and they sent me a brand new replacement with a return shipping label in less than a week!!! Still have the CB and still shoots like new. Saved about $500 bucks and got a kick-a$$ CB....Just a thought.
Old 11-15-2014, 07:37 AM
Fork Horn

Right now with multiple states having passed laws allowing crossbows in archery season, there is a explosion of demand.

When you have massive demand chasing after a product, pricing for that product is far from reasonable. The bow makers are recouping R&D costs overnight.

But also along with the much higher pricing, look at the advancements in crossbows, scopes that at least have better quality lenses & reticules designed for crossbows + greatly improved arrows compared to just 7-8 years ago. There have been more advancements in crossbow design & performance in this past 7-8 years than in the prior 20 years.

Bow companies are now looking into new & more advanced limb materials than fiber glass. Not a real big surprise, just look at how long we've had carbon fiber fishing rods & golf shafts........decades. By 2020 I expect to see compound bows reach 400 fps & crossbows will be closer to 500fps than the max of 425 fps we see in today's market. And as ever more states go to full inclusion for crossbows, the prices will, if anything get higher yet. Only when demand levels off will we see prices drop.

And not only increased speed is coming. Lighter crossbows & ones with better trigger pulls are already showing up in the market, as well as shorter & narrower designs, all in the last couple of years. Lower noise & vibration hasn't gotten addressed a great deal yet, but I expect to see it get great attention over the next 3-5 yrs.

Don't get me wrong, my crossbow cost me a lot, and I expect the next one I buy in a few years to cost at least 40%+ more. Not thrilled with those realities, but I do understand what is driving this & that it won't change for at least the next 5 years or so.

Last edited by craig; 11-15-2014 at 08:04 AM. Reason: clarity + added info
Old 11-15-2014, 09:53 AM
Giant Nontypical

I've got a Barnett Wildcat with a 150 lb draw weight. My wife bought it for me as a package deal at Academy Sports a few years ago for $299. I've got a friend that uses a top of the line Parker. I haven't noticed the deer getting any more dead when hit from a bolt fired from the Parker as compared to a bolt fired from my Barnett.

Sometimes, fancy and price it demands, just aren't necessary when it comes to hunting gear. A 40 yard shot is a 40 yard shot and as long as the bolt gets where it is supposed to it doesn't really matter what it was fired from. Kind of like rifles. You can shoot a deer with an off the shelf Rem or Win in 30-06 costing $400 and it won't be any deader than if you made the same shot with a Holland and Holland mauser action bolt rifle in 30-06 costing $10,000.

Last edited by flags; 11-15-2014 at 09:57 AM.
Old 11-15-2014, 01:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

man i remember the day's when i went hunting with my cheap k-mart hunting orange suit lousey boots a plastic bag for heart and liver a knife and a rag to wipe the blood off ya after gutting a deer now we have to park a semi full of stuff next to our treestands!! there seems to be a new gismo or gadget out for everything you can think of !!!
Old 12-12-2014, 07:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

You can't beat a parker... Price is right lifetime warranty and there one of the quietest bows I've seen...
Old 12-12-2014, 11:31 AM
Spike

I bought a new 3/4 ton GMC pickup in 1968 for $2500. And I was making $2.75 an hour. Today I'm retired and my last new F-150 cost me $35000. What I'm saying is everything is relative and prices on everything has gone beyond what they should be. I just bought a Ten Point Stealth SS, pricey? Yes but the quality is there and my wife can load and shoot it, in fact we are going to get her the exact same bow. Us old folks like the Acudraw. And I can't take it with me so I better enjoy it now.
Old 12-12-2014, 12:18 PM
BTM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by muzzlestuffer
man i remember the day's when i went hunting with my cheap k-mart hunting orange suit lousey boots a plastic bag for heart and liver a knife and a rag to wipe the blood off ya after gutting a deer now we have to park a semi full of stuff next to our treestands!! there seems to be a new gismo or gadget out for everything you can think of !!!
Muzzle: LOL! I bust a gut at the "semi" comment! (What a great visual!)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.