Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
What do I need ?? >

What do I need ??

Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

What do I need ??

Old 05-23-2014, 11:06 AM
Spike

Default What do I need ??

I am new to crossbow hunting. I have hunted big game all over the US and Canada with rifles. No archery experience. This crossbow thing will be a new adventure. I have done lots of research, and spent time at a Cabelas indoor range trying out different crossbows. I have decided on an Excalibur Matrix 380. I think the 18" diablo bolts and 150 gr. Bolt Cutter broadheads will be my hunting gear. My question - what else do I need to get started : proper targets, wax, device to remove arrows from the target, equipment to change the string, extra bolts (how many show I buy to get started) etc. I went with the Excalibur and fixed blade broadheads for simplicity and ease of care.
Old 05-23-2014, 01:10 PM
Fork Horn

You will find a cornucopia of stuff you can buy, but.... You can get by with a 1/2 dozen or so arrows with some field tips for practice Broadheads, of course; how many is up to you. A good target to stop the arrows, I suggest a Spyderweb target; it is made for the fast heavy crossbows. A good scope , preferably one with three aiming points so you can shoot accurately a varying distances, (a Hawk Xb30 with lighted reticles is a great scope)a quiver that mounts to the bow is nice but not a necessity. Some good string wax and probably an extra string. Excalibur makes a handy stringing assistor which makes stringing fairly easy and also allows you to uncock the bow if you need to do it. Depending on where you live you will need a case to transport your bow. Rail lube is also nice to have, make sure you get a quality product made for crossbows. I strongly suggest you make a phone call to David at Wyvern Creations He can help you immensely. Be the best phone call you can make 603-659-0575

Last edited by OneBear; 05-23-2014 at 01:13 PM.
Old 05-25-2014, 03:43 AM
Spike

Thanks for info. David's phone number is in my neighboring state of NH. Does he run an archery shop that I could visit ?
Old 05-25-2014, 04:14 AM
Fork Horn

You runs an internet based archery shop ( Wyvern Creations) He is the greatest guy you could ever talk to about archery I thinks he has forgotten more the most people know Super helpful, great prices and one helluva a good guy.
Old 05-25-2014, 07:16 AM
Fork Horn

U don't need much...
I have three bolts loaded with Muzzies.
I always say don't spend so much on a new crossbow
You can get the same amount of enjoyment and effectiveness out of any 150-180 Lb budget bow
My sets a Barnett 150, it's older. But it cost $100 and is a killing machine. Pass throughs on every deer it's ever been pointed at. 150lbs on crossbow is = to a 75lb bow in general
I promise you they try to fool you with glam.
Were all ur big game hunts diy? lol I had to
Old 05-25-2014, 08:48 AM
Spike

I'll give Dave a call. Thanks OneBear. Yes, my hunts are DIY (although some were drop camps). Wife hunts too, so planning vacations is easy - drawing tags is sometimes a challenge. When all else fails, we buy late season cow elk tags from landowners.
Old 05-25-2014, 07:43 PM
Spike

You might also call Dan Miller at 740 483 2312. He is the U.S. rep for Excalibur. He knows the products and like David is a good guy to talk to.
Old 05-26-2014, 03:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

My opinion is that you made a wise choice selecting a fixed broadhead. I have never had one iota of a problem with a fixed blade design.

As for "extra", here's what I carry to the woods. I carry a small diamond grit file to sharpen the edges of my boradheads should I need to. I have one bolt is equipped with a obviously different colored vanes than my broad head bolts and it has a field point attached. This is the bolt I use to "un-load" the cross bow when the hunt is over. I also carry a cocking rope, a small tube of rail/string lube, and two extra broadheads.

In my experience the cross bow differs from the "vertical" bow in that you will need to be very concious of side-to-side clearance so that you avoid slapping a limb against a branch, or a shooting house wall, etc.

I have found no perceptable difference in lethal distance. That could be in part because I limited myself to shots in about the 40-45 yards range.

The other major difference is that I cannot perceive how a cross bow hunter would have the chance at a second shot should the first be a miss. Every cross bow that I have ever shot, including my Parker Tornado, is very loud compared to a quality compound bow, to a recurve or to a stick bow. In every case, if I missed or if there were other deer with the one I shot, they have left the area, post haste ! Besides all of the movement needed to re-cock and load the cross bow is a great deal more than simply re-knocking an arrow and making a second draw.

The advantage is obvious .... not having to draw and hold. That can be done as soon as you are set in the stand. Plus for a long time user of a long gun, the "rifle-stock" design of the cross bow is very familiar and elimiates a lot of form issues that can creap into other archery hunting.

A last but not least, I cannot emphasize enough that you must keep your hand/fingers away from the string. I have seen first had the damage that can be done when the string whips across a person's finger or thumb.

Last edited by Mojotex; 05-27-2014 at 03:00 PM.
Old 05-27-2014, 07:51 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by F250
I'll give Dave a call. Thanks OneBear. Yes, my hunts are DIY (although some were drop camps). Wife hunts too, so planning vacations is easy - drawing tags is sometimes a challenge. When all else fails, we buy late season cow elk tags from landowners.
I'd call a drop camp diy for sure, that's awesome.
I'd love to travel around NA with my bow and my woman.
You're livin the dream friend.
Why are you interested in crossbow over vertical bow?
Old 05-27-2014, 03:50 PM
Spike

westMDbowhunter - thanks for your input. I am unable to draw a regular bow - I am not able to pull off that motion. 36 years in law enforcement : left shoulder broken 1995, right shoulder broken 1999. major injury lower back 2005 - surgery and lots of rehab for each event. Retirement was welcome two years ago !!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.